Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Saving or Exporting a split clip (PD11)
Karl3054 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 13, 2013 00:23 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
After splitting a clip in the timeline, I want to either (1) put the split pieces back into the media room library, or (2) export the split pieces to a hard drive.

I can't find any way to do this. Help??
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: After splitting a clip in the timeline, I want to either (1) put the split pieces back into the media room library, or (2) export the split pieces to a hard drive.

I can't find any way to do this. Help??

Not a easy way to do that in Powerdirector 11.

Save As a Project file of the whole video with the split.

Now remove the end split.
Produce the remaining video on the timeline.

Recall the whole video, Remove and close Gap the first part.
Produce that Video.

You should now have two videos, one of each half.
You can then copy the two videos to your hard drive.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Karl3054 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm considering getting PD13. Is it easier in the new version?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I'm considering getting PD13. Is it easier in the new version?

Yes, It is easier in PD 12 also.

There is a Produce Range in PD12 and PD 13 where you can select any portion of the Timeline and produce a separate video.

[Thumb - Produce Range PD12_2.PNG]
 Filename
Produce Range PD12_2.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
PD 12 Produce Range, Same in PD 13
 Filesize
33 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
108 time(s)
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Karl3054 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Time to UPGRADE!
SheIsCindy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 24, 2014 13:22 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
I have PD13. I also have about (5) 2 hour family videos VOB files for a total of 10 hours. I want to scan the VOB files, vetting out a majority of the 2 hour files into select clips. Can I copy these clips back into the library to place them later into the timeline? All I can figure out to do is to rename the split clips as aliases and leave them in the timeline to rearrange/place later. This is going to be a nightmare to manage once I have TONS of clips.

Ideas?
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: I have PD13. I also have about (5) 2 hour family videos VOB files for a total of 10 hours. I want to scan the VOB files, vetting out a majority of the 2 hour files into select clips. Can I copy these clips back into the library to place them later into the timeline? All I can figure out to do is to rename the split clips as aliases and leave them in the timeline to rearrange/place later. This is going to be a nightmare to manage once I have TONS of clips.

Ideas?

VOB files are the video/audio file on a DVD video disk. You can copy the VOB files to a folder on your hard drive then Import them directly into Powerdirector for editing.

VOB files are basically MPEG-2 files in a VOB wrapper.

Powerdirector does not edit the VOB file while on the Disk because they are Read only on the disk. They become writable after copying to the hard drive.

Once you have the VOB files in the Powerdirector library, you can edit any way you wish.

SheIsCindy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 24, 2014 13:22 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Carl for the reply.
Once you have the VOB files in the Powerdirector library, you can edit any way you wish.

I am able to do import the VOB files into my Powerdirector library. It is here where I am at a loss of clip management.
This is my logic (flawed?):
1. Move first VOB file from library down into timeline.
2. For example, I want to trim off minutes 1-3, and make a clip of minute 4, so I drag over to minute 4, make a split, trim by removing first three minutes and fill gap. Drag till the ending point (say at minute 4:59), and do another split. Voila, Clip #1 done. (and I am giving the clip an alias name).
3. Repeat step 2 by linearly chopping up the huge VOB file into desired clips.
4. Go back up to Step #1-3 to work on chopping up my second VOB file. Continue until all 8 of my large VOB files are chopped up.
5. My management problem at hand, is that I wish to move these clips back up into the media room library for later placement.
6. When all that is finished, I could then actually 'start' on my project content by arranging the clips on my timeline as I wish.

SOLVED - found my answer after doing a bit more searching...

Move the orange timeline markers on each side of the timeline scrubber to start and end of desired range then right-click and select "Produce range."

Quote:
Quote: I am trying to export just a small section (approx. 1 min) of a video that I am creating to check the file on different mobile devices before I export the entire file. The video is about 30 minutes long.
I have searched on the forums but have not been able to locate the information needed to preform this task. I have also read the help files but was still at a loss to do this.
Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Hi

As Jeff has suggested:

Carl312
[Post New]
SheIsCindy,

You did find the solution!

Powerdirector 12 was the first Powerdirector version that has the Select and Produce Range.

Previous versions could do what you wanted to do, but much more complicated.