Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Professional, uncompressed, native HD files
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I'll run this by the group anyway.

I'm hiring a pro video production company to cover an event I'm producing. To make their services affordable, they'll record the footage with 3 cameras, then I'll edit it myself, rather than also paying them for post-production.

They're using high end, pro cameras, and the data will be full, uncompressed, native HD. Typical consumer that I am, I was under the impression that I would be able to import that data into PowerDirector as-is. But I can't do that, can I? They suggested I get Sorensen Squeeze, a $350 program for converting the footage to the highest quality consumer format that PD can handle.

Any thoughts? I can't import their data can I? Is there a less expensive program that will do as good a conversion job as Sorensen?

rbowser
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Randy -

There's some important information needed here.

I'm assuming you've already attempted to import a sample clip from the video guys. What cameras will be used for the recording? In what format will the clips be delivered to you?

I know nothing about Sorensen Squeeze, having never used it. Without details of the cameras & clips it's difficult to offer any alternatives.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: ...I'm assuming you've already attempted to import a sample clip from the video guys. What cameras will be used for the recording? In what format will the clips be delivered to you?...

Thanks for the reply, Tony - They will be sending me 2 short clips to test, 1 from each of the kinds of cameras they use. I don't know the name of the file format or the specific camera models - I was hoping my question here could be general, asking if PD is able to import Any pro, raw, native, uncompressed files.

When I get the clips, I'll test them, I'm prepared to buy a conversion program if I have to!

I do think this is the basic clash of professional equipment and files versus consumer products, in this case, PD. Thanks again.

rbowser
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: ...I'm assuming you've already attempted to import a sample clip from the video guys. What cameras will be used for the recording? In what format will the clips be delivered to you?...

Thanks for the reply, Tony - They will be sending me 2 short clips to test, 1 from each of the kinds of cameras they use. I don't know the name of the file format or the specific camera models - I was hoping my question here could be general, asking if PD is able to import Any pro, raw, native, uncompressed files.

When I get the clips, I'll test them, I'm prepared to buy a conversion program if I have to!

I do think this is the basic clash of professional equipment and files versus consumer products, in this case, PD. Thanks again.

rbowser

PowerDirector can import most of the common Video formats except for maybe RAW. RAW is the native uncompressed output of the camera without any processing.

Depending on the brand of camera, Camera Manufacturers have downloadable software to covert RAW to a Standard Video format such as H.264.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: PowerDirector can import most of the common Video formats except for maybe RAW. RAW is the native uncompressed output of the camera without any processing.

Depending on the brand of camera, Camera Manufacturers have downloadable software to covert RAW to a Standard Video format such as H.264.

Thanks for that, Carl - I'm awaiting the sample clips from the video company. They must be some form of RAW files, but in two different formats, two different brands - But they'll both definitely be uncompressed, HD. Once I've tested them, I'll follow up on what you suggest, seeing if the manufacturer of the particular camera has conversion software available.

Thanks!

rbowser
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: PowerDirector can import most of the common Video formats except for maybe RAW. RAW is the native uncompressed output of the camera without any processing.

Thanks for that, Carl - I'm awaiting the sample clips from the video company. They must be some form of RAW files, but in two different formats, two different brands - But they'll both definitely be uncompressed, HD. Once I've tested them, I'll follow up on what you suggest, seeing if the manufacturer of the particular camera has conversion software available.

Thanks!

rbowser

I did look for Sorensen Squeeze, there is a free trial. You may be able to convert the files for free using the Trial.

Good luck with the sample files.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
I did look for Sorensen Squeeze, there is a free trial. You may be able to convert the files for free using the Trial.

Since it's the weekend, it looks like I won't get the sample clips until next week. Meanwhile, I looked at the limitations of the Sorenson trial - "Your Squeeze Server software download is the full version of our software. Output is watermarked." So, that wouldn't work.

I found "RAW4 Pro" -

http://raw4pro.com/

Only $59, and that's a Donation request - ! - "Any cameras/recorders that save DNG RAW files are supported." - If the company I'm hiring uses cameras that save as DNG RAW - then it looks like RAW4 Pro could do the trick. Seems great from their website anyway.

rbowser
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
The next question is will your system handle the substantial load of uncompressed video. I don't know how long the event is, but you could easily be looking at 100GB of video or more with multiple cameras. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: The next question is will your system handle the substantial load of uncompressed video. I don't know how long the event is, but you could easily be looking at 100GB of video or more with multiple cameras.

Right, Jaime - At this point, I'm very sure PD won't be able to handle the footage directly. When I get the clips, I'll be testing if RAW4 Pro can convert them to what I can edit. If it can't do the job, then I'll find what software can, but hopefully not the $350 Sorenson software.

The video company estimates the raw footage will be between 500 and 800 GBs - 2 Cameras one night, 1 camera a second night, all three covering the entire 2 hour event from 3 different angles. Plus extra footage before and after the event both nights from another camera. The data will be on a hard drive, and then step 1 will be to convert it to a high quality consumer format before I edit. This computer has edited that much video before, I'll just clear space off onto archive drives as needed.

Quite a project!

rbowser
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: The next question is will your system handle the substantial load of uncompressed video. I don't know how long the event is, but you could easily be looking at 100GB of video or more with multiple cameras.

Right, Jaime - At this point, I'm very sure PD won't be able to handle the footage directly. When I get the clips, I'll be testing if RAW4 Pro can convert them to what I can edit. If it can't do the job, then I'll find what software can, but hopefully not the $350 Sorenson software.

The video company estimates the raw footage will be between 500 and 800 GBs - 2 Cameras one night, 1 camera a second night, all three covering the entire 2 hour event from 3 different angles. Plus extra footage before and after the event both nights from another camera. The data will be on a hard drive, and then step 1 will be to convert it to a high quality consumer format before I edit. This computer has edited that much video before, I'll just clear space off onto archive drives as needed.

Quite a project!

rbowser

I am wondering if your photographer company can or will do the conversion of their video to a consumer format for you?

We really do not know what you are getting until you see the actual video.

It may be a case of the photographer really does not want to give up their work and are trying to make it hard for you to do the editing yourself.

You know that they have the equipment to turn out a turn key job.

They do not seem to want to help you. They seem to want to block you from bypassing half of their work.

My question, is exactly what did you contract with them to do?
Did you change the terms after the shooting was done?

rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Great post, Carl - I appreciate your concern. I've inserted replies, making the whole story more clear:

Quote: I am wondering if your photographer company can or will do the conversion of their video to a consumer format for you?

Yes, they could do that. It's approximated that the 8 hours of full HD footage would take between 20-30 hrs machine time to transfer and convert, and machine is $65 an hour. That could come close to $2,000 more, and that's out of the question. That's why they've pointed me to Sorenson, software they use, so I could only have the expense of buying the conversion program. They know what my original budget for the whole project was, and have come as close to it as possible . Having me do the conversion is part of the costs savings they've suggested, and that I agree with.

Quote: We really do not know what you are getting until you see the actual video.

That's literally true, but there's much I didn't include in my original posts on this thread. I've worked with this company several times before, and they've produced the very best videos of live events possible. They're the only local company of any sort which has received the "Business of the Year" award from our area's Chamber of Commerce. So I have reason to completely trust that the footage they'll do of this event will be excellent.

Quote: It may be a case of the photographer really does not want to give up their work and are trying to make it hard for you to do the editing yourself.

You know that they have the equipment to turn out a turn key job.

They do not seem to want to help you. They seem to want to block you from bypassing half of their work.

As I said, I appreciate your concern, Carl - but you're basing your post on too little information. They quoted me the price for using their very best, top of the line, full HD cameras. Using those cameras dictates that the data is raw, uncompressed footage which consumer programs like PD just can't handle.

They outlined another option, to use "prosumer" cameras that record to HDV tape. But then there would be the step of transferring that footage to data I could use on my computer. If they had to load the footage onto one of their edit systems to transcode it and put it on a hard drive for me, then I'd lose all the cost savings. Using the pro cameras that don't use tape will give me better footage, and at the same total price. I don't have the capability to digitize HDV tapes, so going that route wasn't an option.

My contact person is a friend and one of the co-owners of the video company. I've known him for well over 10 years now, so he did all he could do set up this project in a way I could afford.

Quote: My question, is exactly what did you contract with them to do? Did you change the terms after the shooting was done?

When I first contacted the company, I explained I needed this event covered on two nights, from 3 different camera angles. To avoid the huge cost of them doing post-production, I said from the beginning that I would do the editing, since I feel competent about putting together a final edit that I'd be happy with. So my friend came up with what the costs would be, with the number of cameras and operators needed, and with them providing me just the raw footage on a hard drive - That's when the discussions about formats came up.

I also outlined my needs for the soundtrack. They'll be recording to a 4 track digital recorder, one track for the person on stage, wearing a wireless mike, and two mikes to capture the audience in stereo. The event has a soundtrack I produced which will be played back live - sound effects and music. Those tracks will be imported directly during the editing process, so we'll have the best sound possible for that soundtrack. I'll be producing a mixed soundtrack, balancing performer, audience, and music, in Sonar (digital recording program) - importing the mixed soundtrack into PD, something I've done a number of times now.

This event isn't until November. This week was the first time we started negotiating, and it looks like a Go to me, even though I'll have more to figure out with their footage, settling on what conversion program to use.

So - there's a detailed explanation, Carl. Things should be much more clear now. It's a long response I've typed, but maybe it'll be interesting to people at the Forum as a look into the kinds of challenges that can come up when working in conjunction with a pro video production facility.

rbowser
Carl312
[Post New]
rbowser, thank you for the detailed explanation of what they agreed to do.

Yes, they could do that. It's approximated that the 8 hours of full HD footage would take between 20-30 hrs machine time to transfer and convert, and machine is $65 an hour.

20-30 hours sounds like way too long a time. And $65 and hour sounds high, however a Plumber just charged me $127 for about 20 minutes on the job.

The editors in this forum can probably tell you how long is really takes to convert Full HD video from RAW.

True, I am using a consumer HD Camera (Canon HF R100 and a Canon HF R300) They shoot 1920x1080i @ 17 Mbps. They do about 2 Hours of video on a 16 GB SD card. There are other consumer cameras that shoot 1080P. They also output AVCHD H.264 *.MTS video.

There is no conversion of that footage because it is in a format that Powerdirector imports directly. AVCHD H.264 *.MTS

It may be very helpful if you had the Brand and Model number of the Camera your Video Production company is using.

I find is hard to believe that the only Consumer video format they can shoot or supply is HDV tape. That is a obsolete video format.

As I said, I appreciate your concern, Carl - but you're basing your post on too little information. They quoted me the price for using their very best, top of the line, full HD cameras. Using those cameras dictates that the data is raw, uncompressed footage which consumer programs like PD just can't handle.

Those cameras do not have to shoot RAW, I would bet that they can also shoot H.264 MTS video.

If I know the Brand and model of those cameras, the editors on this forum can look up the information about the cameras used.

At least you have some time to ask more questions. And maybe get some sample footage.

Brand and Model of the cameras they are using. Then we can look up the specs of their cameras. No more guess and taking their word.

They are in the business of making money by producing a Video product. They are not interested in giving away their business.
I cannot blame them on that point.

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
[quoteI find is hard to believe that the only Consumer video format they can shoot or supply is HDV tape. That is a obsolete video format

True, but a lot of prosumer camcorders record in mpeg 2 and they are only recently starting to go to memory cards. I don't understand why, it is a digital format just like mpg 4 and memory cards are plenty big enough.
[Post New]
Quote: rbowser, thank you for the detailed explanation of what they agreed to do...

Thanks, Carl - When I have the brand and model #s of the cameras they'll be using, I'll post them here so people can take a look!

rbowser
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
For those on this thread who may still be interested, the company has sent me the info on the cameras they'll be using:

Canon C300 and Panasonic AG HPX300P

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/cinema_eos_cameras/eos_c300

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/business/provideo/brochures/AG-HPX300P_brochure.pdf

It's all over my head! But there's the info.

rbowser
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: For those on this thread who may still be interested, the company has sent me the info on the cameras they'll be using:

Canon C300 and Panasonic AG HPX300P

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/cinema_eos_cameras/eos_c300

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/business/provideo/brochures/AG-HPX300P_brochure.pdf

It's all over my head! But there's the info.

rbowser

Canon C300 uses MXF container.

Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Material_Exchange_Format

Free converter for the MXF container
http://freemxfconverter.com/

The Panasonic camera is a another problem.
It has several modes, each one harder for consumer NLEs.

The following from WP_AVC-Intra.pdf
MXF File format for AVC-Intra
The structure of the content on a P2 card consists of logical “clips” that each contain a video MXF file, one or more audio
MXF files, and an XML clip metadata file, as well as implementation dependent optional files, i.e. a Bitmap thumbnail file,
a WAVE voice memo file, and an MP4 proxy AV file. These files are stored under directories within the P2 card, as shown
in Figure 5. As a video essence file, P2 products have already implemented a DV-DIF video MXF file, which contains a
DV/DVCPRO compressed video stream. AVC-Intra’s compressed byte stream is encapsulated in a MXF file conforming to
SMPTE 381M, which is commonly used for mapping MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 Streams into the MXF Generic Container. As
shown in Figure 5, the structure of the content and XML metadata are the same between the DV/DVCPRO essence and the
AVC-Intra essence with the exception of the essence stream wrapped in the MXF essence container and relevant structural
metadata. In addition, coded frame sizes for the AVC-Intra stream are selected so that the total bit rate for the AVCIntra
stream fits into the DV-DIF stream. These features provide benefits for users and implementers such as a common
operation, a common recording time and a common access performance to a video essence file.

What I get from the quote above, the Panasonic also outputs in MXF container.

If that is the case, the free converter I linked above may do the job. The Panasonic camera model is not listed.

The only way to tell is to get a 5 or 10 second sample from each camera.
Then you would know for sure if you can convert and edit the videos.

I remember seeing another post in the Cyberlink forum on editing a MXF video from a pro camera. I think they found a converter and were successful.

I am submitting this post so I don't lose it. Then I will search the forum for MXF format.
EDIT:
I found the posts, but they don't help, the conclusion was to use a MXF converter which there are several on the NET.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 16. 2014 21:47

rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: ...
Free converter for the MXF container
http://freemxfconverter.com/...

Great - Thanks, Carl! Later on, they're going to send me test clips. Then I'll see if this converter you posted will work, or if I need something else. The event is still 2 months away - It'll all eventually be figured out!

rbowser