Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Produce project with mixed fixed and variable frame rate clips
david445 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 30, 2012 05:28 Messages: 129 Offline
[Post New]
Need to produce a video for the web using what I got, meaning clips coming from a consumer camcorder and also from a smartphone.

First one used 25 fps fixed frame rate, second one variable ranging from 25.793 to 96.000. PD12 project it's set to 25 fps PAL.

Output AVC H264 got a variable frame rate, that it's not well accepted on Vimeo where I will upload the video.

There are any way to "normalize" variable frame rate into fixed one?

I attach MediaInfo of variable and fixed frame rates samples and of the output file.
 Filename
Output.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
326 time(s)
 Filename
Variable Frame rate clip.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
327 time(s)
 Filename
Fixed frame rate clip.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
330 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 07. 2014 13:53

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Need to produce a video for the web using what I got, meaning clips coming from a consumer camcorder and also from a smartphone.

First one used 25 fps fixed frame rate, second one variable ranging from 25.793 to 96.000. PD12 project it's set to 25 fps PAL.

Output AVC H264 got a variable frame rate, that it's not well accepted on Vimeo where I will upload the video.

There are any way to "normalize" variable frame rate into fixed one?

I attach MediaInfo of variable and fixed frame rates samples and of the output file.

Hi david445,
I've had a quick look at the clips info. I'm more concerned with the fixed rated one than anything else. It has a compressed frame size of 1440x1080 and I have seen in the past this type cause problems when mixed with other frame sizes. I suggest you convert the fixed frame size to the same as the others and then edit them all. If you're in doubt about the variable rated one - run that through and convert it to the same as the others/mts format.
Just an opinion.
Dafydd
david445 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 30, 2012 05:28 Messages: 129 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Hi david445,
I've had a quick look at the clips info. I'm more concerned with the fixed rated one than anything else. It has a compressed frame size of 1440x1080 and I have seen in the past this type cause problems when mixed with other frame sizes. I suggest you convert the fixed frame size to the same as the others and then edit them all. If you're in doubt about the variable rated one - run that through and convert it to the same as the others/mts format.
Just an opinion.
Dafydd

Thanks Dafydd, there are any tool you suggest to convert variable --> fixed frame rate?
I can't find any specific function in PD12 searching trough manual, tutorial or forum.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi david445,
I don't think you need to worry greatly about the variable rate. Place in the track/edit and render to your chosen fps - because it's what it is you may get some jerky video but that might not be the case here.
The track fps is just for viewing/editing and is the segmentation of an electronically created file into split sections and is NOT the output selection. The track fps is to ease/help with editing. It is the Produced fps and what frame size you select which is important (whether you retain quality etc).
Just an opinion.
Dafydd
Tesityr
Senior Member Location: Canada, eh Joined: Apr 08, 2014 05:35 Messages: 154 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:
Hi david445,
Just an opinion.
Dafydd

Thanks Dafydd, there are any tool you suggest to convert variable --> fixed frame rate?
I can't find any specific function in PD12 searching trough manual, tutorial or forum.

If I may pop in to just address this one part:

David is correct, there isn't a need to convert the video if it is VFR, as PD can handle it I've imported VFR clips into PD12 a couple of times without problem.

If you just want to transcode something to a fixed frame rate no matter what (or you need it for uploading somewhere still), I was actually working on a post about that at my blog - for people that were running into problems with NVIDIA's Shadowplay and their game recordings not being importable into Premiere [sorry to name a competitor, but it is in a negative light ] So you don't have to go to the blog, here is the info on how to do it, below:

Problem: some applications can't import VFR (Variable Frame Rate), such as Adobe's Premiere (Lightworks and Vegas can also have problems with it still) - CyberLink's PowerDirector 12 does not have this problem

Workaround: transcode the video clips into CFR (Constant Frame Rate). This is possible using a few different programs (all of them completely free to use), a couple of them are:

- Handbrake (import and simply choose CFR)
- Windows Movie Maker, if you use Windows (import and simply export as MPEG-4/MP4, it will output CFR material)

For both, choose a very high bitrate, so that you do not lose much detail (much higher than the original).
As far as I know, there is no option to Force CFR output in PD12, but I could be wrong; I am an experienced video editor, but new to PowerDirector

Result: you can then import these CFR MPEG-4 (MP4) clips into almost all video editing applications that had the problem previously - and upload to any video sharing sites that required CFR material

I hope that helps you out a bit with that - enjoy!

Edit:
If mentioning these other applications is eyebrow-raising for this forum, please let me know - or edit this post, heh

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 09. 2014 13:11