Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Bundled PowerDVD10 with internal LG BDdrive only plays BR fast-forwarded and changes PCsound-setup
Pierre-Emmanuel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 07, 2014 09:28 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Replaced my old internal DVD drive with a LG BH16. It came with PowerDVD10.

Unfortunately this setup simply does not appear to work.
Every single BR I try it with comes up fast-forwarded. Speed still shows up as 1x. But it's playing at least at twice the speed.
Furthermore there is no sound. This could be due to the fast-forwarding bug, but when previously playing music, activating PowerDVD changes the default device... to one not even enabled (HDMI out).

Not just that; the software causes window to revert to the default, non-areo theme. How is it possible that it is so heavy?

Thanks for any tips!

PC:
i5-2500k
8GBRAM
GTX560ti
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Since you have an older bundled version, please read this:

Link ; http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=4535 .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Pierre-Emmanuel [Avatar]
[Post New]
None of this worked I'm afraid. No updates are listed and I get no notifications that updates exist. The only option is to pay for the 14 full version: no options in the Plugins or Patch tabs.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 07. 2014 10:39

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry, There is a pretty good sale on Power DVD 14 going on now-- look for the upgrade link That looks like a close out price.
Or perhaps you can get a previous version (like PD13) at a greater discount.

By the way, have you contacted LG to see if they can do anything?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 07. 2014 10:51

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You did not say what window operating system you have. Can't expect win 8 compatibility.
Pierre-Emmanuel [Avatar]
[Post New]
Good call! I have a fully up-to-date Windows 7 version. I never once used W8 and constantly forget it's even out and therefore an option!
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
I am pretty sure that versions of Power DVD that come bundled with hardware that you purchase are just a stripped down version of the software. The bundled version will generally play DVD's, but won't play Blu-Ray.

Its a way to see if you like the software and how it works. If you like it, then you would have to upgrade to the version that playes Blu-Ray, which is typically the "Ultra" version of Cyberlink software.

To verify what version of PowerDVD 10 you have, take a look at the chart I attached.

I could be wrong. But this chart gives you the instructions of determining what version is installed on your PC. If you have the "Deluxe" version, then this wont play Blu-Ray. What do you have?

Kevin
[Thumb - PowerDVD Version Chart.PNG]
 Filename
PowerDVD Version Chart.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
19 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
167 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 30. 2014 15:36

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
If memory serves me correctly I believe that older versions of Power DVD did shut down the aero mode. Later versions of PowerDVD allowed you the option to disable that in a setting option.

And I am not sure about what happened when I installed power DVD 10 regarding default player for audio files. Cell phone here and I don't recall if you somebody else on the forum does.

On a sidenote the full version of power DVD ultra is great software and definitely worth the purchase if you play lots of Blu-rays.I have ripped all my Blu-ray and DVD collection to a hard drive and PowerDVD allows you to play directly from the hard drive. No disks to fumble with or find, just click and play.

Best of luck,
Kevin

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
The bundled version on my LG BH14 has Blu-ray 3D on on the PDVD10 screen. It does play BD. Unfortunately no more updates for newer titles but works well for home created BD's. The server for updates is down.
Try playing an older title BD. As far as audio is concerned, hope you changed the audio output like to your pc speakers. It outputs to spdif and hdmi correctly if you change the settings on PDVD10 itself and it is not the windows sound default setting.
Pierre-Emmanuel [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the tips everyone!

I only have 2 BluRays I'm afraid, Lego Movie and 12Years of Slave, none of which I've been able to view at all. Quite recent titles...

The audio is configured correctly. For all I know I can't hear it because of the constant fast-forward, and if it played at a normal speed the audio may work.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 30. 2014 16:33

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
By older BD title, I mean a commercial BD manufactured 3 or 4 years ago and not an older commercial BD title manufactured today. Hope this helps. :
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
All is not lost. Since you purchased a BD burner and not a player then the BD you create and burn should work. Good way to test your homemade BD's.
You can get older BD titles manufactured say 3 or 4 years ago at say at a rental store. Just make sure the BD being an older title was not manufactured later. :
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
A fairly easy test is to download the latest trial version of PowerDVD and see what happens. You get a working version for 30 days and it should play your newer discs.

If the trial version works it would answer a few questions.
ZCFBZD [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 10, 2014 02:29 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
None of this worked I'm afraid. No updates are listed and I get no notifications that updates exist. The only option is to pay for the 14 full version: no options in the Plugins or Patch tabs.