Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
HD clips freezing during transitions
Videocentricity
Contributor Location: Long Beach,CA Joined: May 21, 2007 05:37 Messages: 394 Offline
[Post New]
I dont have an HD camera.

PM me for submissions please for raw HD of about 30secs

1080i format MT4

A clock ticking with visible seconds would be good

PM me and I will give you an FTP site and password if needed

If you can't solve the problem - Change the problem
[Post New]
Cranston;
I find it funny that no mention of video card exists in the requirements. Maybe they forgot about graphics cards.

Would seem that Cyberlink would at least monitor this forum, but maybe not...I know those poor programmers are always overworked (if you ask them). Not just Cyberlink...all programmers seem to remain distant from the users. Maybe we should start posting in Binary!

I have a Canon HF11 HD Camera and PD8 (overall) does a fine job with the files. I had to tweak some PRX files (thanks dafydd) and figure out the newer production options, but it works fine for me, most of the time.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
OK, a number of questions to answer.
First off, I monitor the forums for PowerDirector and refer those issues that a) I cant handle b) I observe are in need of immediate tech (R&D) attention.

Carsten,... you'll be surprised.
As it's late only the top guy at R&D was looking at the issue for me. he put it onto two systems.
1st email: ..... But I can't reproduce his reported issue.
My NB platform is Vista 32, CPU T2370 and 2G RAM.
I will try it at my PC later.

2nd email: Dafydd,
I also can't reproduce it at my PC.
My PC spec is Vista 32, CPU Q9550,and 2G RAM.

These came in at 10pm Taiwan time.

Fred, can you Export the saved project please and tell me what the contents of the newly created directory is please.

I have very close connection with whom I want in CyberLink to ensure the information I give is received. I just make suggestions.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 26. 2009 15:45

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Having additional files to check from the same or similar source (ie the same camera) does help. Basically covers the flakey file issue.

Carsten, have a chat with Robert/Oz and Adrian regarding cameras, ask them what they use.

I haven't got around to activating CUDA on my system - just too busy.

I'll also ask about the VG used.

Dafydd

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Aug 26. 2009 16:11

[Post New]

Dafydd;
Is this what you mean (Pack the project)??
Not sure what you want.
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
One other work around is if you change the duration of the fade after it is applied it also plays smoothly. It works whether the default length of the fade is 2 sec or 4 sec, they are the two time lengths I have played with. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Fred,

What Dafydd requires you to do, is to pack your project for export, then open the folder where you saved it.

Directors Chair
File
Export
Pack Project Materials

See attached file, you will notice that PowerDirector has saved the Shadow Edit MPG files and not the MP4 files which it should have done

Robert

[Thumb - ExportMP4a.gif]
 Filename
ExportMP4a.gif
[Disk]
 Description
Exported file after opening
 Filesize
48 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
248 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Aug 28. 2009 07:19

Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
[Post New]
Nope.... Mine saved just the PDS and MTS file:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 26. 2009 21:47

Peter Ozpeter [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 10, 2008 20:51 Messages: 336 Offline
[Post New]
I swore I wouldn't keep picking away at this but you guys are setting an example!

To be honest I'd thought up to this point that the problem lay with the particular footage from the particular device (Panasonic GH1) especially as I've seen comments on the net that the GOP structure it produces is unusual.

However, some further tests now indicate that here at least, on my system, PD8 won't handle any video in this particular AVCHD format (1280x720 progressive 50fps).

What I did was to use another program to convert the original problem video (a series of real-world clips not the uploaded test) to the original format using that program's smart rendering. That proved that the conversion settings I used were the same as the original format (otherwise it wouldn't have smart rendered). The intermittent freezing of video when playing from one clip to the next in PD8 still happened when playing the resulting footage which isn't surprising as it ws essentially the same as the original having been smart rendered.

Then I took some full HD format AVCHD from another camcorder and using that other program converted it to the format of the problem clips (using the same settings that I'd just tested as being correct). The problem of intermittent freezing of video when playing from one clip to the next in PD8 still happened. (I should add that the conversion in the other program is from that program's timeline, creating one long clip. Then I use PD8's scene detection to break it down into the original clips again).

So that proves it's not the source but the particular format that gives trouble.

As a further test I tried to use the footage in that last test in its unconverted full HD format and it played without problems.

Next I took the original problem clips (1280 x 720) and put them through the other program's converter again, but this time with smart rendering switched off, to force a complete re-encode (which would be expected to remove anything non-standard from those clips). Once again, they would not play through without video freezing on the timeline.

Finally, I took the problem clips, and in the other program I shortened them at each end then smart rendered them to a new file, the idea being to exclude the possibility that there's some problem with the original start and / or end of the original clips. Again, in PD8, video freezes occurred with the resulting cut-down material.

So, it's clear that PD8, on this particular system at least and perhaps on some others, will not work happily with 1280x720 50fps progressive AVCHD, regardless of the source. YMMV. The fix is to convert to an intermediate format eg full HD mpeg2 and work with that. No other workaround (discounting shadow files) works every time (unless someone can come up with one!).

Anyone wanting more test footage can easily create it in the full version of the software I was using, which is quite often found on PCs and whose name has Roman associations. I'll let Dafydd have full details of the method offline.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 27. 2009 04:57

Peter Ozpeter [Avatar]
[Post New]
(Addendum - saving the project makes no difference).
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Dreven it has been nice knowing you but unless you stop this incessant bagging of Cyberlink it won't be long before you are banned.

One question....."Are you part of the problem or part of the solution?"

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 27. 2009 00:22

My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
[Post New]
dreven;
Do you mean the Sony product listed on this review?
http://video-editing-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

Oh..so sorry..the number ONE spot is already taken!!
but 5 of ten isn't bad!

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Aug 27. 2009 01:24

Peter Ozpeter [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dreven, we're talking about a very specific problem in this thread. Yours is different.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Dreven wrote:
learning Vegas 9 as we speak anyway - I'm jumping ship as soon as I get comfortable with it.
I read this with mixed emotions, as one's heart can't help but to go out to those poor Vegas9 forum folks.

But I wish you good luck Dreven. And instead of praying to God tonight for world peace, and an end to the suffering of all the poor and starving children, I'm going to ask God to drop all that, and make helping Dreven to learn Vegas 9 as fast as possible, his top priority.
Can I get an Amen?

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
I only have three things to say -

1. I find it interesting that people often say EXACTLY the same thing in such different ways.
2. When teaching students who exhibited attention seeking behaviour, the most effective strategy was to ignore it.
3. The topic of this thread, which has (for a good while) been about solving a particular issue by testing on a variety of machines, has suddenly disintegrated. As Peter pointed out, one "contributor" is on a different track, with seemingly insoluble problems.
4. Counting was never my strong point.
5. My emotions aren't mixed, in this case.
6. "Amen."

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
3. The topic of this thread, which has (for a good while) been about solving a particular issue by testing on a variety of machines, has suddenly disintegrated.
G'day Tony,

On point number 3, I disagree. It hasn't disintegrated. The proactive members here can easily multi-task long enough to exercise a display of unity. That only strengthens the bonds of cooperation between those members who possess an admirable quality of character. The same character that has made this forum the powerful tool that it is. And a quality of character who's patience has been sorely tested of late.
Yes, an unruly "child" should be given some latitude. But there comes a time, for the sake of the sanity of the "adults", when the unruly behaviour needs to be corrected. That time, in my opinion, is long over due.

But let the discussion, exchanges, and testing resume. This blip won't side track those who sincerely seek to make "our" PD better for everyone.

As the younger folks say... We got this.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Aug 27. 2009 02:40

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi all,
Thank you for the excellent report Peter - I've passed it on.
Fred, I liked the link
Tony, I cant add much...
Robert... I could just get you both guessing who.... thanks for the postings
Carsten, some more info I've got you -
NB platform is Vista 32, CPU T2370 and 2G RAM.
Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
DAC type: Internal
Display Memory: 358 MB
Dedicated Memory: 0 MB
Shared Memory: 358 MB

Vista 32, CPU Q9550,and 2G RAM.
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8800 GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Display Memory: 1267 MB

I'd still like to see some more raw footage from the same source to check.

Dafydd

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Aug 27. 2009 05:13

Cranston
[Post New]
Dafydd,

Thanks for the info, and especially... for your efforts!!!

Michael [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 23, 2009 00:04 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
My problem on happens on certain transitions. Has anybody taken the time to see exactly which trasitions it freezes on and which transitions it doesn't? Just wondering before I test to see if its the same transitions each time and if some work everytime.
Peter Ozpeter [Avatar]
[Post New]
Playback or rendering?

These things can just be completely random (yeah, I know computers don't do random things but...)

Currently I'm on about my 20th attempt to get my current project to render. It's just a matter of gradually deleting stuff it doesn't like, but boy, it's time consuming.
[Post New]
I thought we were talking about stuttering in preview playback of 1280 x 760 50fps clips with transitions.

Can someone define what is being discussed/tested here? I am lost, I guess. I have no problem rendering the test clips.

Dafydd and Videocentricity...are we testing stuttering on preview playback or failure of rendering? Any new clips to test this on yet??

This message was edited 11 times. Last update was at Aug 28. 2009 00:55