Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Audio wave does not display in PD16
stevefrench73 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 15, 2015 22:30 Messages: 36 Offline
[Post New]
For clarity, the waveforms of purely audio clips DO display properly. It's only those associated with video clips. In my case, I use mostly .MOV video files. But I see others seem to be having the issues with other formats as well. Detaching audio/video does not solve the issue. Only leaving the program then coming back and reloading the project does. And that only makes already-added clips display properly.

I saw the failure with A/V clips as well as pure audio clips, but in both cases, it was always when I was working with duplicate file names. Any chance you could be working with duplicate filenames? But this almost sounds like a different issue than I was having, because no amount of leaving the program and then coming back helped in my case.

No, my files are all uniquely named (sequentially, by my cameras). The only time duplication occurs - on the timeline, at least - is when I split clips. But they are still from the same source file and the symptom is present even before splitting or modifying in any way.

Though I was using the program an hour ago and the waveforms were working fine. So it's an intermittent issue, evidently.
MrMark [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Richmond, TX Joined: Nov 26, 2016 11:36 Messages: 39 Offline
[Post New]
Quote No, my files are all uniquely named (sequentially, by my cameras). The only time duplication occurs - on the timeline, at least - is when I split clips. But they are still from the same source file and the symptom is present even before splitting or modifying in any way.

Though I was using the program an hour ago and the waveforms were working fine. So it's an intermittent issue, evidently.

Well, that certainly sounds frustrating, but mine was never intermittent, although it did seem that way until I understood the relationship to duplicate filenames. FWIW, my Sony camera creates unique filenames too…until it doesn't. I'm not sure if it has to do with swapping out the media, or just deleting all of the content on the media, but at certain times, it does reuse filenames.

But what you're describing sounds more like what I observed before I realized that the upgrade to PD16 had re-enabled shadow files. That was causing all sorts of weird and unpredictable stuff to happen. That feature must be left over from a time when RAM was a lot harder to come by than it is today, because it just doesn’t seem to do anything good on my PC. It seems like it’s about time for it to be disabled by default. It would also be an awful lot better if an ”upgrade” didn’t wipe out all of the choices made up until that point in time. --
-Mark
Cable Solutions

Pettros1
Member Location: River Heads, Queensland, Australia Joined: Jan 06, 2011 19:08 Messages: 60 Offline
[Post New]
Had this same problem after a new install of Win 10 with the audio wave form line not appearing. PD 16 was looking like a new install. I had made some changes in preferences and had unticked Enable Shadow Files in General.
After a few efforts to find reason why no audio line I ticked the Enable Shadow files on and all good.
So go figure that one? PD Ultra 16.0.2524.0 ~ Windows 10 Pro Intel(R)Core(TM)i7-4770 CPU @3.40GHz ~ AMD HD-7800 Series APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics ~ 16GB RAM ~ WD 1Gb Primary HD ~ Hitachi 500Gb ~ Buffalo 8Gb DriveStation ~ WD 1Gb ~ Medion 500Gb ~ Canon Legria HFS10 ~ W/ FH
MrMark [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Had this same problem after a new install of Win 10 with the audio wave form line not appearing. PD 16 was looking like a new install. I had made some changes in preferences and had unticked Enable Shadow Files in General.
After a few efforts to find reason why no audio line I ticked the Enable Shadow files on and all good.
So go figure that one?

PD16 does seem to be stuck on those shadow files...it creates the directory whether the box is checked or not. There are probably hundreds of those hidden folders scattered across my drives. It seems both old and weird to me. If a program actually needed such files, it seems like it would make a lot more sense if one could control where they go. For example, "back in the day", we would create a RAM disk and then direct swap files to that virtual disc, because that would make paging a lot faster than writing them to a mechanical hard drive. In the present day, one might want to send them to an SSD, but (probably) never to, say, an external USB hard drive or a network resource.

Of course the very concept of paging was necessitated by the fact that earlier operating systems couldn't handle RAM very well. But Windows 7 Pro can address 192GB of RAM and Windows 10 Pro can handle 2TB, so there isn't much reason for paging anymore. Assuming that's what PD16 is even doing...it's not clear to me. As far as I can tell, all it does is to slow everything to a crawl. But now you're saying that it actually helped you in some way - I think that's the first time I've seen anyone saying that, but hey, whatever works! --
-Mark
Cable Solutions

Pettros1
Member Location: River Heads, Queensland, Australia Joined: Jan 06, 2011 19:08 Messages: 60 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Had this same problem after a new install of Win 10 with the audio wave form line not appearing. PD 16 was looking like a new install. I had made some changes in preferences and had unticked Enable Shadow Files in General.
So go figure that one?

PD16 does seem to be stuck on those shadow files...it creates the directory whether the box is checked or not. There are probably hundreds of those hidden folders scattered across my drives. It seems both old and weird to me. If a program actually needed such files, it seems like it would make a lot more sense if one could control where they go. For example, "back in the day", we would create a RAM disk and then direct swap files to that virtual disc, because that would make paging a lot faster than writing them to a mechanical hard drive. In the present day, one might want to send them to an SSD, but (probably) never to, say, an external USB hard drive or a network resource.

Of course the very concept of paging was necessitated by the fact that earlier operating systems couldn't handle RAM very well. But Windows 7 Pro can address 192GB of RAM and Windows 10 Pro can handle 2TB, so there isn't much reason for paging anymore. Assuming that's what PD16 is even doing...it's not clear to me. As far as I can tell, all it does is to slow everything to a crawl. But now you're saying that it actually helped you in some way - I think that's the first time I've seen anyone saying that, but hey, whatever works!

Mark, I can sympathize with you. Have been around since PD8 and at least for my purposes PD has filled the bill so to speak.
For the most part my favorite key stroke is Ctl+S in PD anyone between ver. 8-16. Used to be a regular event after more than 2-4 edits. If not do crash and loose your work was just around the corner.
But got to say PD16 is going pretty well for me, other than this audio waveline glich PD Ultra 16.0.2524.0 ~ Windows 10 Pro Intel(R)Core(TM)i7-4770 CPU @3.40GHz ~ AMD HD-7800 Series APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics ~ 16GB RAM ~ WD 1Gb Primary HD ~ Hitachi 500Gb ~ Buffalo 8Gb DriveStation ~ WD 1Gb ~ Medion 500Gb ~ Canon Legria HFS10 ~ W/ FH
AlanR47
Senior Member Location: Norfolk UK Joined: Dec 08, 2017 05:01 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Still sufferring like many others - but I stumbled on a neat way to restore that does not take too long nor is too complex.

Rightclick over the offending clip and submit to Edit Audio/AudioDirector (this is fairly quick) - let AudioDirector load the clip then just exist AudioDirector - you will be asked "Do you want to send it back to PD...?" just click Yes, and when its all done you should be looking at a fully displayed audio track.

In my current project this has worked repeatedly. I am importing .wav files and do not have shadow files in operation.

Alan.
MrMark [Avatar]
[Post New]
Mark, I can sympathize with you. Have been around since PD8 and at least for my purposes PD has filled the bill so to speak.
For the most part my favorite key stroke is Ctl+S in PD anyone between ver. 8-16. Used to be a regular event after more than 2-4 edits. If not do crash and loose your work was just around the corner.
But got to say PD16 is going pretty well for me, other than this audio waveline glich

I've used PowerDirector off and on since version 7...which makes me a relative newcomer compared to you, but I can't remember ever losing any work. Many hours spent fighting with glitches, but never an outright loss of work. Gee, I should probably go celebrate, right?

There are lots of things wrong with PD16, most of which have remained unresolved for years. The one thing it does right, at least on my machine, is rendering. It leverages my GPU, and that makes it orders of magnitude faster than anything else that I have tried. That's a pretty big deal, but then again, if I can't sync the audio, it doesn't really matter how fast it renders, because it's impossible to get to that point. --
-Mark
Cable Solutions

MrMark [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Still sufferring like many others - but I stumbled on a neat way to restore that does not take too long nor is too complex.

Rightclick over the offending clip and submit to Edit Audio/AudioDirector (this is fairly quick) - let AudioDirector load the clip then just exist AudioDirector - you will be asked "Do you want to send it back to PD...?" just click Yes, and when its all done you should be looking at a fully displayed audio track.

In my current project this has worked repeatedly. I am importing .wav files and do not have shadow files in operation.

Alan.

I noticed that too...anything that alters the filename has a chance of working. If only it ALWAYS worked. --
-Mark
Cable Solutions

Pettros1
[Post New]
Quote Still sufferring like many others - but I stumbled on a neat way to restore that does not take too long nor is too complex.

Alan.

I noticed that too...anything that alters the filename has a chance of working. If only it ALWAYS worked.

Yes I tried that a couple of times with both video and sound together and apart and no difference. Am no programmer but often wonder why some clever code writer could easily solve these issues. A kind of odd thing on Audio Director that when exported to goes fine but when closing and going back to timeline the only option is close the whole program and say yes to save it back to timeline. Think there would be a button/link to do this?
But no more problems with the audio waveline since turned off shadow files. So here's hoppin
Oh, are you using Audio Director 7 where you get the "Do you want to send it back to PD...?" Cause I have not seen that.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 25. 2018 19:19

PD Ultra 16.0.2524.0 ~ Windows 10 Pro Intel(R)Core(TM)i7-4770 CPU @3.40GHz ~ AMD HD-7800 Series APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics ~ 16GB RAM ~ WD 1Gb Primary HD ~ Hitachi 500Gb ~ Buffalo 8Gb DriveStation ~ WD 1Gb ~ Medion 500Gb ~ Canon Legria HFS10 ~ W/ FH
AlanR47
Senior Member Location: Norfolk UK Joined: Dec 08, 2017 05:01 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Yes I'm using Audio Director 7 and get that message when I close the program down - seems slightly odd to me as well - in that I have not actually made any changes to the audio - just gone into AD7 then out again.

Still working most of the time. Once I had started a project using File/start new project and my little trick failed me - so I exited the program and restarted it to start this new project - then it worked as I wanted. So yes a bit of intermittancy as other have experienced, but all the time my trick works I am pleased and hope this gets us one step closer to a proper repair from CL.

Alan.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

We are locking this thread as the current conversation is not helping CyberLink determine the cause of the issue.

Please see the new post here, and respond only if it is relevant to you so we can gather the required information and pass it on to CyberLink QA.

Cheers,
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do