Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
SONY HandyCam Model# DRC-TRV22 Interface Problem with PowerDirector 9
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, Carl312. I think one of them was a Sony, the other might've been a Canon. Buying from recycling centres has its risks, the device might not work if you get the rest of the "kit" that goes with it. These are cameras that have been dumped by the previous owners, more often than not for the simple reason that they've bought themselves the newest model. I'll more likely check out some second-hand goods(pawn) shops and other op-shops in the Newcastle area, next time I'm there. I'm not in any hurry to find one.
Cheers!

DJP, might be time to upgrade! Look about for a new digital camera. They generally all use SD-card storage these days. This is good because, even without the camera's software, you can still access the content by slotting the SD card into a card reader.
DJP [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 05, 2012 09:23 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
...Just to update you all,

I tried booting the system with the camera connected and turned on, but once again, neither the system nor PowerDirector recognized the camera. I have not had a chance to try out the 'WinDV' software, I hope it's Windows 7 compatable.
Neil, I do have a newer camera that takes HD video it's just that I have video on the digital tape from the SONY Camcorder that I hant to transfer to my computer and be able to edit / clean up, etc.
I still have not received any feedback / response for the Windows 7 Forum, I guess there's not much interest in my topic to help me out....
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: ...Just to update you all,

I tried booting the system with the camera connected and turned on, but once again, neither the system nor PowerDirector recognized the camera. I have not had a chance to try out the 'WinDV' software, I hope it's Windows 7 compatable.
Neil, I do have a newer camera that takes HD video it's just that I have video on the digital tape from the SONY Camcorder that I hant to transfer to my computer and be able to edit / clean up, etc.
I still have not received any feedback / response for the Windows 7 Forum, I guess there's not much interest in my topic to help me out....

I believe you have said that you can play the DV tape and watch it on your TV set. Is that correct?

If you cannot get the camera recognized via Firewire, then you will have to go the play the tape and capture via a Digital Capture card or USB capture device.

That is SD only, but I think your camera is SD.

This is a device that I use and would recommend.
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_usblive2.html

It does works in Windows 7 and PowerDirector 12.

Cheaper devices do not work well for capturing in PowerDirector 12.
Newegg.com has the device also.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 14. 2014 11:11

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

DJP [Avatar]
[Post New]
...Hi Carl, thanks for replying!

My Camcorder is equipped with an Audio / Video Connection Cable (Audio; red / white, Video; yellow)
, along with S-Video Out so Yes, I can play my tapes on a TV. I also have, and just updated the drivers for a "Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1250 Hybrid TV Tuner /Video Recorder 1196 PCI-Express x1 Interface" card on my system. I plan to try connecting my camera to this card since PowerDirector does seem to recognize it.
Once again, I am just trying to get the best quality transfer as possible, I know we’re talking analog at this point, but I suppose the digital tape is somewhat of a digital / analog 'hybrid'.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: ...Hi Carl, thanks for replying!

My Camcorder is equipped with an Audio / Video Connection Cable (Audio; red / white, Video; yellow)
, along with S-Video Out so Yes, I can play my tapes on a TV. I also have, and just updated the drivers for a "Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1250 Hybrid TV Tuner /Video Recorder 1196 PCI-Express x1 Interface" card on my system. I plan to try connecting my camera to this card since PowerDirector does seem to recognize it.
Once again, I am just trying to get the best quality transfer as possible, I know we’re talking analog at this point, but I suppose the digital tape is somewhat of a digital / analog 'hybrid'.

Assuming your DV camera is SD, that may be about as good as you are going to get. unless you can get the Firewire to work.

If the picture looks good on the TV, no reason you cannot capture that same quality on the capture card and computer.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

DJP [Avatar]
[Post New]
Carl,

So as not to assume anything, what are you referring to when you mention 'SD' in your posts?

...Thanks!
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Carl,

So as not to assume anything, what are you referring to when you mention 'SD' in your posts?

...Thanks!

SD=Standard Definition (720x480) in the USA. It may be 640x480 also.

HD=High Definition (1280x720 and above).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 15. 2014 14:40

DJP [Avatar]
[Post New]
...Thanks Carl, I thought you were referring to Standard Definition...

By the way, I attempted to connect my Camcorder to the "Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1250 Hybrid TV Tuner" card but again, with no success. I have a ticket into Hauppauge Support since the set up information for my card states that a camera can be connected and its contents (video) will display and have the ability to capture same. Just to be sure my Camcorder was not at fault throughout this whole ordeal, I plugged it into my VCR and the video displayed just fine.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: ...Thanks Carl, I thought you were referring to Standard Definition...

By the way, I attempted to connect my Camcorder to the "Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1250 Hybrid TV Tuner" card but again, with no success. I have a ticket into Hauppauge Support since the set up information for my card states that a camera can be connected and its contents (video) will display and have the ability to capture same. Just to be sure my Camcorder was not at fault throughout this whole ordeal, I plugged it into my VCR and the video displayed just fine.

What Setting did you use in the Powerdirector Capture Module?
There is a setting button on the bottom Right of the Capture module where you setup the video input. You must select the connection you are using.

Settings button:

Window after clicking Settings Button

DJP [Avatar]
[Post New]
...to be honest with you Carl, I did not check the 'Settings'. I just tried viewing the camcorder through both the analog & digital options in Capture mode (since they were both selectable). I then opened the Hauppauge application, adjusted the settings (as I mentioned), and still no video.

I will go back and review the PowerDirector settings as you mention however, I'm not very hopeful of any positive results since the Hauppauge application doesn't show any sign of recognition.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, DJP, I honestly wish you good luck but I think I have exhausted all possible solutions that I could come up with for your problem.

And hello, Carl312. I ended up buying that Hi-8 stereo videocamera, it's a Canon, UC-X15Hi8 model, for the PAL system. Its power requirements are 6volts DC and the battery terminals are exposed to a little rigged-up adaptor(alligator-clips to a miniature socket should do the trick with a multi-voltage battery eliminator pack set to 6 volts from 240 volts AC(50Hz) Australian standard. The reason I'm chasing this is so I can transfer Video-8 and Hi-8 camera tapes to DVD for myself or friends. How much did I pay? Just $2 at a recycling centre. If it don't work I'm just down by two bucks! Nothin' drastic!

Cheers!
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Hi, DJP, I honestly wish you good luck but I think I have exhausted all possible solutions that I could come up with for your problem.

And hello, Carl312. I ended up buying that Hi-8 stereo videocamera, it's a Canon, UC-X15Hi8 model, for the PAL system. Its power requirements are 6volts DC and the battery terminals are exposed to a little rigged-up adaptor(alligator-clips to a miniature socket should do the trick with a multi-voltage battery eliminator pack set to 6 volts from 240 volts AC(50Hz) Australian standard. The reason I'm chasing this is so I can transfer Video-8 and Hi-8 camera tapes to DVD for myself or friends. How much did I pay? Just $2 at a recycling centre. If it don't work I'm just down by two bucks! Nothin' drastic!

Cheers!

Not much money to spend.

Wall warts are widely available for 6 Volt output, I do not know the current requirement, but 2 amperes would likely be plenty of power.

Cannot go wrong with that deal!

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Carl312. The camera was dirt-cheap because it lacked its auxiliary components(battery, power-pack, etc.) but I hope to throw something together to get it up and running as a future project(not too far into the future, I hope). If it works, terrific! I'll have the means to play back camera tapes from my old Samsung mono model(bought new in 2001 but recently "turned up its toes", "carked it", breathed its last... you know what I'm getting at) and any stereo tapes from friends, as long as they're analogue, because the cassette format was used for later digital camera models. I got caught out before on that, don't want to be tripped up like that again. I'll rummage through any old transformers I might have(battery eliminators). If I find a spare 6-volter, I'll snip the plug and put a couple of alligator-clips on it. Job done! And if, after all that, the camera doesn't work, I'm only out by a measley two bucks! Hardly worth crying over, I'll just check out the pawn shops for a better-conditioned replacement, that's all.

Cheers for now!
Mojo22 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 26, 2017 02:21 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi DJP,

I have the exact model DV camcorder Sony DRC-TRV22 and I have the same exact problems you are having. I always thought my Camcorder quit working because when I would go into the menu and change the DV IN TO DV OUT it would still display DV IN on the bottom of my screen. I must of changed that 50 times because I couldn't figure it out. I have so many DV tapes that I would love to put on a hard drive but no matter what software i use and what version of windows it will not recognize the firewire connection.

I originally had a Sony Vaio years ago and It wotked great but the computer quit working and I purchased a Dell with a firewire input but I was surprised when I found out it would not accept my Sony Drc-TRV22. It has been a few years and you might not get this message, but have you ever had any luck getting yours to work? If so can you please let me know. I sure would appreciate it.

There just has to be some kind of way I could get these DV tapes on my computer! The last time I had it working was on a Sony Vaio with windows 7 and I was using Pinnacle version 8.

Thanks.

Mojo22
DJP [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello Mojo22 & Forum members,

It has truly been a while since this discussion over my inability to connect a SONY DRC-TV22 Handy Cam to my computer, in any way / shape/ or form.

I recently revisited this problem only on a different Windows platform. Since there were, and still are no USB drivers for this model camcorder for windows 7, I purchased a used Dell Latitude D830 laptop w/ Windows XP Professional, SP3 loaded on it. The SONY software / (USB) drivers that came with the camcorder are supported on XP.
To make a long story short, I was able to successfully connect the camcorder to the laptop via USB. However, after further research with regards to a better ‘digital’ connection, I found that the IEEE / iLink to be the better option. The laptop I referred to does have a 4 pin IEEE port and a IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controller installed and appears to be working.
Now for the kicker, after several attempts I have not been able to make the laptop recognize the camcorder …sound familiar?? I have gone through and checked the camcorder settings (eg. DV IN/OUT set to OUT, camcorder set to VCR, etc.), just purchased a new 3ft. IEEE 4 pin cable, and using Windows Movie Maker application as a connection point. All I get is the “DV IN’ message flashing in the lower right portion of the camcorder screen.
I am now to the point of uninstalling / reinstalling the 1394 driver in hopes that this may correct the issue. If anyone is still around to view / read this post, please chime in if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks & Best Regards,
DJP
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Hi DJP,

It has been quite a while smile

You're right that Firewire is the preferred connection for the capture from tape as it should be fast enough to capture digital video without dropped frames. However I think I'm right in saying USB2 may also be fast enough.

In my original responses I mentioned that when connected to Firewire the cam should appear somewhere in Device Manager. Have you looked at the various input devices etc? As I said then, if it doesn't appear no capture utility will be able to see it. I notice that Mojo 22 said he couldn't get his cam recognised on the Firewire link so there may be some subtle incompatibility with Sony cams. Somewhere in the furthest recesses of my memory a bell is ringing about that, maybe to do with Sony's proprietary i.Link. Since your USB drivers are supported in XP have you actually tried the USB connection to see if you can get a drop-free transfer?

I see that I originally suggested you use the capture software that came with the cam and you said it wasn't supported in W7. Have you tried it in XP?

Edit:
1) I notice in the manual for your cam, in the i.Link section on page 294, it says before connecting to ensure the application software for the cam is installed. That might indicate it's needed for the cam to be recognised.
2) If all else fails you could consider getting hold of a used DV cam from another manufacturer.

Other than the above I don't think I can offer anything further.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 28. 2018 13:11

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
DJP [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Fenman for the reply!

Yes, as I mentioned, I have the SONY software and drivers loaded on the laptop and the USB video / picture transfer works fine, again, we’re talking USB. On the other hand, the IEEE connection does not seem to work at this time.
Doing a little more research I found discussions regarding a “1394.INF” file that can get corrupted for one reason or another. Looking through the 1394 driver details in the ‘Hardware’ tab there are 5 files listed for the ‘IEEE 1394 Bus Host controller’
…but no 1394.inf file in the list. I don’t know that much about programming although it may be possible that this .inf file needs to be present in order for the connection to be successful..?
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
DJP.
which one is it DRC-TRV22 or DCR-TRV22?
Sony eSupport Model DCR-TRV22 USB Driver for Connection...

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out' 'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
Quote ... we’re talking USB. On the other hand, the IEEE connection does not seem to work at this time...

DJP.
read the first page. so took out my sony dcr-trv740 and dell latitude e6520R. like you, i bought the dell e6520R for that mini firewire! changed os to wXPsp3.

i think i followed Barry's warning. i didn't turn it on untill i-link cable is connected on camcorder side then to dell.
windows movie maker is on. i turned switch to VCR and WMM didn't do anything. VirtualDub and WinDV don't know sony either.
disconnect after dell is off and sony.

desktop pc with w7pro 64bit with regular firewire port and PD12/14 ultimate. while the firewire is connected to desktop pc it'll not boot to windows desktop. when i disconnected the firewire, os booted to windows. connect to desktop and start PD12 ultimate.

go to Capture. turn it on to VCR, doesn't know sony at first. turn the switch to CAMERA. abraca debra, shazam! PD12 shakes hand. i'm in. but you want to capture the tape not like a webcam! turn the switch to VCR. BAM! i can use the PD capture record button to control the sony. PD14 shakes hands, too.

restart the e6520R. connect the sony. start the WMM. TURN the switch functions to CAMERA first!!! BAMM! loads the drivers for sony-DV camcorder. turn to VCR and WMM cordially asks if i want to capture the WHOLE tape??? certainly, yuk yuk yuk... ^^

happy happy joy joy.

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 01. 2018 03:36

'no bridge too far'

Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
PepsiMan
[Post New]
DJP.
final test i've done is switch the dell e6520R os back to w7pro 64bit. connect the firewire already connected to sony to dell.
turn the function switch to CAMERA. w7 loads the drivers for sony-DV camcorder automatically as wXPsp3.

start PD 10ultimate. go to CAPTURE. PD shakes hand with sony while the switch is at CAMERA. turn to VCR and PD is ready to capture the video from the tape.

Windows Movie Maker, WinDV and VirtualDub recognizes as sony-DV vcr and camera. end of the story.

if yours doesn't then the bad news is that maybe your sony's firewire port is fried. Barry has been warning about that for years... sorry.

only options you've got is use the A/V cable and hook it up to VCR with DvD writer and or hard drive, then transfer to pc...

oh, no happy happy joy joy.

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 01. 2018 04:20

'no bridge too far'

Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
DJP [Avatar]
[Post New]
PepsiMan …thanks for your input,

I apologize for any confusion, but the SONY Handycam model I’m dealing with is the “DCR-TRV22”.
Also, so there is no misunderstanding, after numerous efforts over the past several years trying to connect the above mentioned device to my desktop (which I have windows 7, 64bit Home Premium installed) via Firewire, I gave up the chase.
As of late, and hence my return to this Forum, I am now attempting to connect my DCR-TRV22 to a Dell Latitude D830 laptop running Windows XP Pro, SP3 since the bundled software & drivers are supported on this version of Windows.
As I’ve mentioned, I have been able to successfully connect my device to the laptop via USB. I have downloaded both still images and video from the device to the laptop. However, the video (which is my main concern) quality is less than desirable, that is why I am now tying to connect the camera through the laptop’s IEEE / 1394 input (which by the way is 4-pin).
Since this Dell laptop’s processor is not all that powerful I haven’t installed Power director. Instead, I’m using the SONY software and Windows Movie Maker as an interface in order to capture the video.
Again, as far as I can tell, the laptop’s IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controller installed and appears to be working. I am using a brand new 3 ft. cable, and have double checked the camera’s DV IN/OUT settings. I have tried various power on, cable connect, power on/off scenarios between the laptop & camera. Bottom line, the laptop does not recognize the camera.
If you look at my last post, I have come across some discussion(s) about a “1394.INF” file that can get corrupted and without this file connection between laptop & device is not possible. I may be looking in the wrong place, but looking under the ‘Hardware’ tab, Drivers, there are 5 files listed for the ‘IEEE 1394 Bus Host controller’, but in my case the “1394.INF” file is not present.
Can anyone shed some light on this ‘theory’, or suggest something other than what has already been mentioned above?

Thanks in advance,
DJP