Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Choppy Preview... will updating to PD12 help?
[Post New]
I have a terrible preview that rarely plays back smooth, freezes then jumps ahead during playback. It makes trying to edit like pulling teeth. I've done all I've found recommended in here, including all the steps I took on a past post a couple of years ago when I was having the same problem. For the last couple years it's not been that big a deal, since I wasn't trying to put together many clips and sync them with music to make another film...but now I'm working on my 2nd film and it's taking so long because of no smooth playback.

I'm wondering if I update to PD 12 from my version 11 it will help? I'm just not sure because in my search it seems many have had this problem with 12 too. I'm lost as to what to do.

I'm thinking of editing each clip and producing them independantly, and then putting together all the pre edited produced clips. If I did this, what format should I use that will retain the best resolution when I then produce the finished product. I'm don't want them further compressed since I will already be compressing them once...does this make sense?

Here's the specs of my computer... it's a bit long in the tooth for a computer but it's still going pretty strong...

I do have the latest drivers, and still have over 200 GB memory of a 500 GB drive.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Display: 17.3-inch Full HD LED-backlit Widescreen (1920 x 1080)
CPU: Intel Core i7 processor 720QM (1.60GHz-2.8GHz Quad-Core)
Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 VRAM
Wireless: 802.11 b/g/n (@ 2.4GHz), Bluetooth v2.1
LAN: 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1066MHz RAM, 4 x SODIMM (up to 8GB)
Storage: 1TB 7200RPM hard drive (500GB x 2) dual HDD
Optical Drive: DVD Super Multi drive
Camera: 2.0 Megapixel
Speakers: Altec Lansing speakers with EAX 4.0 sound
Microphone Digital Array Microphones
Card Reader: 8-in-1 card reader (MMC/SD/Mini-SD/XD/Memory stick/MS Pro/MS-Duo/MS-Pro Duo)
Input/ Output: 1 x Mic-in, 1 x Headphone-out, 1 x VGA port/Mini D-Sub 15-pin for external monitor, 4 x USB 2.0 ports, 1 x Gigabit LAN, 1 x HDMI, 1 x Kensington Lock
Battery Pack: 8 cell
Dimensions: 12.56 x 16.38 x 2.25 ~ 0.08 –inches
Weight: 7.48 lbs. (with 8 cell battery and single HDD)
Color: Matte Black

Thanks for any help... Dustie
I'm still working on it....
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
You don't outline specifics...

If you decide on interim steps, use a file type that closely matches that of the original material.

Reduce PD preview mode, using the icon that is just to the left of the "speaker" - under the preview window.

While editing, shut down all unnecessary programs.

Under the EDIT|PREFS|GENERAL menu, try both the On and Off settings for Shadow Files. (Enable HD Video Processing)

Under the HARDWARE ACCELERATION tab, do the same - testing both On and Off modes for each item.

Similarly, test disabling various AMD Catalyst features, using their software.

Upgrading to PD 12 likely won't solve the problem, IMO, but you can test the trial version...
http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/trials/index_en_US.html

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 23. 2014 07:26

[Post New]
Thanks Borgus... I have already tried most all that you said, and none have worked. The only thing I haven't tried was disabling various AMD Catalyst features, using their software. I don't know how to go about doing that? Dustie
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry, don't use AMD. But if it's anything like NVidia there may be an AMD or Catalyst icon in Control Panel, with various settings that you can test.

Someone else may chime in.
[Post New]
Thanks. I'll do some reading on it and see if I can't test some of the settings. It's something to try anyway.

Dustie Dustie