Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Color matching of different clips
david445 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 30, 2012 05:28 Messages: 129 Offline
[Post New]
Need to edit clips coming from Canon and GoPro cams to create a single video.

The cameras show different colors set, with some experiments I understood its not only a question of white balance.

There are any way to "equalize" colors, extracting a master standard settings from Canon clips and apply to GoPro one? Or I'm wrong and the concept itself its not applicable?

I did give a try to ColorDirector but can't find anything similar.
bolda
Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Feb 02, 2011 15:10 Messages: 96 Offline
[Post New]
In my opinion, you should be able to achieve chromatic equalization using the White Balance tool. The two sliders (Color Temperature and Tint) should effectively do the same job as changing red, green, and blue sensitivity. However, I am afraid you need to take an experimental approach, which may be a tedious job indeed.
david445 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: In my opinion, you should be able to achieve chromatic equalization using the White Balance tool. The two sliders (Color Temperature and Tint) should effectively do the same job as changing red, green, and blue sensitivity. However, I am afraid you need to take an experimental approach, which may be a tedious job indeed.

What a pain doing it all by hand!
I was really expecting ColorDirector to be able to automatize some work, otherwise didn't see so much need of this package having similar control into PD12.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 19. 2014 06:05

bolda
Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Feb 02, 2011 15:10 Messages: 96 Offline
[Post New]
To automate this process you would probably need a shot of the same area containing suitable color distribution by the different cameras. Ideally, that's how you should proceed manually anyway.

Adjusting the basic colors, RGB, as a feature in PowerDirector would work better for this kind of thing; it would be more straightforward.

As a simplification, you may want to adjust the color of complexion (large facial detail if possible) to make it look natural and to match. You might need to do so for both cameras...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 19. 2014 09:10

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Have you looked at the capabilities of Color Director? Anything there? There is a free trial to see if it will work for you.

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/colordirector/features_en_US.html?&r=1

It is on final sale so a new version might be released in the near future.

In the future, you should white balance both of the cameras to the same white "board".

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 19. 2014 08:18

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
bolda
[Post New]
It doesn't normally matter whether you white-balance before or after shooting.

I understand white balance alone doesn't help David make footage from the two cameras look the same or similar colorwise. This should be caused by different gamuts, or different RGB wavelengths. Different white balance is of course much more likely the issue.

It might therefore be useful to actually see examples of the two pictures to see and avoid being too theoretical.

I realize now I wasn't right using the word 'sensitivity' in my first post on this thread becauase different RGB sensitivities alone translate into different white balance, not different gamuts...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 19. 2014 09:28

david445 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Videos I need to balance are not coming from my cameras, was created from a professional videomaker I engaged to covers an event with tools I didn't have.

So balancing white it's not an option since the event it's passed and I have these videos to edit. I've already tried to change white balance in post production but didn't reach my goal.

My question was if there is any way to automate the color matching between the two videos. In my tests ColorDirector didn't help, or I can't find such a feature.

Will post two frames to give an example tomorrow.