Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Slow return from PhotoDirector to PowerDirector
Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Phoenix Joined: Mar 13, 2011 11:35 Messages: 211 Offline
[Post New]
I am delighted with all the features of PhotoDirector. But I have like 100 photos in this one project to adjust in and the return from it back to PowerDirector. The return is exceedingly slow - like about 2 minutes. Yet it only takes seconds to transfer (import) each photo to PhotoDirector for adjustments. What is going on to cause SO much time to return the photo to PowerDirector? This job will take me 3 hours just to wait for all the photos, let alone all the editing time in PhotoDirector. Bill Seifert
HP Pavilion Desktop TP01-2022
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

[Post New]
Hello Bill,

I'd have to agree with you that it's very time consuming when you have a large number of photos that need adjustment.

The "round trip" idea works very well for one or two photos - but not for hundreds!

Could I suggest the workflow I use in that situation?

1. Open PhotoDirector and directly import all the photos for your project. (PowerDirector is closed for now)
2. Apply all the crops and adjustments you wish - create presets for photos that need similar adjustment (saves clicking & sliding)
3. Export all the photos to a separate folder
4. Open PowerDirector and import the whole folder of edited photos

It's not quite "batch processing" but it's more efficient than one-by-one.

Here, I find the step of sending the photo to PhD agonisingly slow (sometimes up to 30 seconds) yet it exports back to PowerDirector quite smartly (5-8 seconds).

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Phoenix Joined: Mar 13, 2011 11:35 Messages: 211 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks PIX,

I understand your workflow and normally use it. But it's a long story that works out that I have multiple versions of each of the about 100 stitched photos scattered throughout my significant photo show. I'm forced to pick the best of each multiple from the PD timeline on my large wide screen and then fix multiple things in the chosen one. If I did it your way, I'd have 4 times the work fixing them all and choosing a quarter of them. My workflow includes two other photo processing programs before PD and PhD gets their turn.

But you have confirmed that I'm not the only one disturbed by the long round trip. I certainly hope that someone can give a technical reason why the import is so much different than the export. That would ease my slow burn as I fall asleep waiting for PD displaying the result.

Bill Bill Seifert
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
[Post New]
I think I discovered - the age-old problem - that the length of the show affects the round trip from PH to PhD increases with the length of the project. I'm now working on 7-minute project and the round trip is relatively quick, compared to a project 5 times as long.

Technically I still can't understand something like this is affected by the length of the show. It's just importing one photo with pixel changes to it. Why would it have to consider the quantity of all the other photos and clips in the project as it imports it from PhD? Bill Seifert
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM