Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Shimmering DVD
[Post New]
I’m have a terrible shimmy in a video that took over a week to produce.
All I can find about it refers to interlace fields.
From forum “shimmy usually means interlace fields are reversed (ie wrong order first field not first etc.”
What does this mean and how do I check or reverse the order.
Where do I find the order. “ie wrong order first field not first etc.”
My video is made from 200 still pictures with Magic Motion applied.
I have tried MPEG-2/4. Not any better. This is really ruining a good Video.
I have a Toshiba Pavillion dv7 w/8 gb memory. Using Windows 7- 64
bit and have PowerDirector 12.
I sure would appreciate someone tellin me how to fix this.
Thanks in advance.
ASUS GL752VW/ Windows 10 64 bit / 16GB RAM / Intel i7 6700HQ @ 2.6GHz / NVIDIA GeForce GTX960M / PD14 Ultimate -2820
[Post New]
Sorry - It's HP not Toshiba. ASUS GL752VW/ Windows 10 64 bit / 16GB RAM / Intel i7 6700HQ @ 2.6GHz / NVIDIA GeForce GTX960M / PD14 Ultimate -2820
Tesityr
Senior Member Location: Canada, eh Joined: Apr 08, 2014 05:35 Messages: 154 Offline
[Post New]
Unfortunately, "the elephant in the room" of Field Order with digital video is something very hard to discuss, much like "the redheaded stepchild", if I may combine multiple idioms. There are so many aspects and considerations to it... I'll try to keep this short and sweet:

Field Order is something that comes from the Analog Television days of yore, where full frames were not streamed down the pipe, but 'half frames' were (called Fields), where the original image was cut up into sections (lines, with even numbered lines and odd numbered lines). This led to much chaos as things slowly evolved into the digital realm, as some software/manufacturers went with "Top Field First" while some went with "Bottom Field First" (i.e. which of those lines that made up the video frame was processed earlier in the video sequence). Many computer video editing applications over the past decades tried to automatically detect whether video was one or the other, with various levels of success over the years. Today, it seems that most software (programs/applications) and hardware (cameras, capture cards, etc) are leaning towards "Top Field First" being used mostly (especially for HD video, like 1080i) and "Bottom Field First" being seen with non-HD "DV". Of course, this is not a constant, it is just something I personally have seen over the years.

The best way to handle Field Order, is to find out what your capture device utilizes. As a couple examples: read the documentation of your camera - it may put out "Bottom Field First" material. Perhaps you used a Capture Card inside your computer system - go to the manufacturers website and see if your product produces "Top Field First" video. PowerDirector12 seems to produce "Top Field First", when interlaced output is selected. It does allow you to change the Field Order, when video is imported, if you find that your Produced material looks wavy/shimmery/etc (Right-Click on the clip and choose Set Clip Attributes > Set TV Format). For instance, if you imported some DV material and your output looks wavy/shimmery with "Interlaced... Top Field First" selected, change this area option to "Interlaced...Bottom Field First" and this may solve the problem. As stated above, most software can detect the Field Order properly (TFF or BFF) - PD12 automatically detected some TFF material I had, correctly - but all software can possibly make mistakes, so if you are getting that weird wavy/shimmery or even 'stuttery' output, try changing the Field Order setting.

Hopefully that's all it will take, with your video clips. Good luck with it!

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Aug 17. 2014 20:34

[Post New]
Thanks for you excellent explanation. Unfortunately my problem is not with movie clips. I have 200 photos with Magic Motion applied. When I produce a DVD it is almost unwatchable due to the shimmering effect. If I produce a MPEG-2 video there is no shimmering. If I produce a DVD using the MPEG-2 video the shimmering comes back. Also, if I remove the Magic Motion and produce a DVD there is no shimmering. I want to be able to play this video in a DVD player to be watched on TV. Anyway, MPEG-2 is good – DVD is bad and I don’t know how to fix it. Thanks again for your response. ASUS GL752VW/ Windows 10 64 bit / 16GB RAM / Intel i7 6700HQ @ 2.6GHz / NVIDIA GeForce GTX960M / PD14 Ultimate -2820
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks for you excellent explanation. Unfortunately my problem is not with movie clips. I have 200 photos with Magic Motion applied. When I produce a DVD it is almost unwatchable due to the shimmering effect. If I produce a MPEG-2 video there is no shimmering. If I produce a DVD using the MPEG-2 video the shimmering comes back. Also, if I remove the Magic Motion and produce a DVD there is no shimmering. I want to be able to play this video in a DVD player to be watched on TV. Anyway, MPEG-2 is good – DVD is bad and I don’t know how to fix it. Thanks again for your response.

I produce photo slide the HD profile.
I think this way should have a better quality on your DVD.
PD12 will create the DVD with 8.3 kbps. interlaced top field first. option DVD HQ
---
I convert HD to MPEG2, custom profile 9kbps Progressive
and create my DVD in another sofware that accepts progressive MPEG2.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 18. 2014 10:34

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
[Post New]
Thanks. I dont understand HD to MPEG2.
What is HD profile? Where is HD? What is your other software? ASUS GL752VW/ Windows 10 64 bit / 16GB RAM / Intel i7 6700HQ @ 2.6GHz / NVIDIA GeForce GTX960M / PD14 Ultimate -2820
[Post New]
I just created a MPEG2 with DVD HQ option. Then made DVD from the MPEG2 with 123Copy DVD 2012. Had shimmer in both.
I can make a DVD in Video Studio Pro X7 with no shimmer but PD12 has so many more effects avail and I want to use PD12.. I'm trying really hard to stick with PD12 but my frustration tolerance is running out. ASUS GL752VW/ Windows 10 64 bit / 16GB RAM / Intel i7 6700HQ @ 2.6GHz / NVIDIA GeForce GTX960M / PD14 Ultimate -2820
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I just created a MPEG2 with DVD HQ option. Then made DVD from the MPEG2 with 123Copy DVD 2012. Had shimmer in both.
I can make a DVD in Video Studio Pro X7 with no shimmer but PD12 has so many more effects avail and I want to use PD12.. I'm trying really hard to stick with PD12 but my frustration tolerance is running out.

Hi,
Just jumping into this thread with a couple of ideas.
1. Can you make a DVD please using a short 10 second with the same actions you have been doing.
2. Check the "shimmering" as you describe is still happening when you play the DVD.
3. If the "shimmering" is present, with the DVD in your PC's drive and using right click, Explore the disk's contents.
4. Copy and Paste the contents to your Hard Drive and then combine the contents into a compressed Zip file.
5. Attach the zip file, using Post Reply/Attachments to your reply to this thread.

By providing a small DVD/contents we'll be able to see what you are viewing.

Finally:
6. Please try creating a video DVD and using different image files another DVD. Start a new project, do NOT overwrite the older project files.

Dafydd
[Post New]
OK. I think I followed your direction. However, I cannot access the Compress (zipped) Folder so I dont know what to do now. The properties of the files is 24MB. ASUS GL752VW/ Windows 10 64 bit / 16GB RAM / Intel i7 6700HQ @ 2.6GHz / NVIDIA GeForce GTX960M / PD14 Ultimate -2820
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
In Windows (File) Explorer, locate the folder with the files that you copied, per Dafydd's suggestion.

Select them all, then right-click and choose SEND TO|COMPRESSED (Zipped) FOLDER.

This should create a file with a .zip extension in the same folder as the original files.
In this forum, click ATTACHMENTS and browse to that file. Click SUBMIT to complete your post.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 18. 2014 20:41

[Post New]
I get "Access Denied" when I try to create the zip folder.
How do I get access? ASUS GL752VW/ Windows 10 64 bit / 16GB RAM / Intel i7 6700HQ @ 2.6GHz / NVIDIA GeForce GTX960M / PD14 Ultimate -2820
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I get "Access Denied" when I try to create the zip folder.
How do I get access?

Are your files in a Writable folder?

There are some folders in the Windows OS system you cannot access.

If you create a folder you are the owner of that folder. As the owner you can read or write any file you put in that folder.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
I hope this is what you asked for.
 Filename
VTS_01_0.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
551 bytes
 Downloaded:
213 time(s)
ASUS GL752VW/ Windows 10 64 bit / 16GB RAM / Intel i7 6700HQ @ 2.6GHz / NVIDIA GeForce GTX960M / PD14 Ultimate -2820
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I hope this is what you asked for.

That is not a video file.

VTS_01_0.BUP is a backup Info file used by DVD players to know what the order of the video files to play.

Video files on the DVD have *.VOB file names.

I doubt this is what is wanted.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.