Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Slow generation of shadow files
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
My videos now are all shot in UHD, mandating the use of proxy editing for anything longer than 5 minutes to prevent slow down of the editing process.

Unfortunately the shadow file conversion process, at 4K is rather slow. 12GB of 4K will take half the night to convert.

The processor use is only 20% average, use of hardware acceleration etc makes no difference. (Rendering is at 99% for example, to get best quality I use CPU only)

Any thoughts ?

Eugene

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 13. 2014 11:51

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
PDHanumanSvr.exe which generates the shadow files is CPU throttled in PD, documented by many on these forums. Your 20% is typical.

To my knowledge, use of any form of HA or the like won't help as the PDHanumanSvr.exe is canned to use only CPU encoding to generate the low res editing file so any user settings will do nothing.

I have not snooped around if the shadow file resolution can be tweaked via an ini file, regedit or the like as I don’t typically use them. I’ve used this approach successfully in the past with a previous PD version. I took my original footage, say orig.mts, and produced a very low res production, say lowres.mpg with PD. This is really what PD shadow file is doing but one can utilize the full CPU, not a throttled service or even HA to produce the low res editing file. I then edited the lowres.mpg file in PD and did my cuts, transitions and the like, just not screen snapshots for obvious reasons. When done editing I simply replaced the lowres.mpg file name with orig.mts in the *.pds file for my final production or you can rename files in the folder. One can even batch produce this pds file if desired. It worked fine for me, it does require that no frames are dropped for some reason while creating the lowres file compared to the orig file so match timeline fps in the lowres production.

I verified proof of concept with some downloaded 4K footage and it worked fine. It might be worth a try for you.

Jeff
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
Good thought Jeff, thank you.

Will experiment with that and see.

Eugene 73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A