Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Intermittent failure of codecs?
ChrisBud [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 03, 2014 01:58 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hi folks, first time poster, thanks in advance for your time.

I have been using PD 12 for about a month or so without issue. Very happy, does what I want.

A week ago, at the point where I was about to render, an alert appeared advising that the software was unable to render in the codec I had chosen (in this case H.264 AVC), and advised as part of the alert that I should update the video card drivers, as well as the quicktime codec (?might have that bit wrong?) etc. This struck me as very odd, since I had made no changes to the system, and had been rendering fine all morning up to this point.

I persisted for a bit more, trying other Codecs, no luck, all outputting garbage, and eventually got the blue screen... ouch. A simple restart did not solve the issue. Something was definitely corrupted in the software.

Rolled back the system to a state from 2 weeks prior using system restore... problem sorted. Have been happily editing for a week, rendering fine... until it all happened again today, and was solved in the same manner. A system restore to an earlier date.

I'm not doing anything too outrageous with it - just youtube videos, 10 min long.

Could the Codecs become corrupted over time by the software? Anyone experienced anything like this?

Kind regards,
Chris.

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit
Intel Core i7-3770 CPU 3.40GHz
8.00 G Ram
500G hard drive, mostly empty
Intel HD Graphics 4000

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
You may need to activate the components.

http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=12834&prodId=4&prodVerId=930

You may have been very lucky that a Restore brought back the Codecs.
Do not expect that to work next time.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 03. 2014 08:51

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

ChrisBud [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply Carl. How do I do that in V12 - I can't seem to find it.

Kind regards,
Chris.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks for the reply Carl. How do I do that in V12 - I can't seem to find it.

Kind regards,
Chris.

If you get a request to activate, when you try to produce that profile.
Produce MPEG2, H.264 file and burning DVD/AVCHD/Blu-ray Disc

If you never get a request, probably already activated.

If you have had PD12 for over 30 days, you would have to contact Cyberlink support to get the components reinstated.

http://www.cyberlink.com/support/index.html

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
For me, anytime I hear that the program worked right and then suddenly stopped but that a restore brought it back, I think of the problems caused by over aggressive registry cleaners. Are you using one-- either as a stand alone (Registry Mechanic or CCleaner (registry function, or as part of a antivirus program? If your says that it cures the problems that slow down computer, it probably has a registry cleaner - Norton 360 is an example. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
ChrisBud [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok I do use Norton 360 on this PC...

I have checked the event log built into Norton, and it says that the registry cleaner has never been run. As far as I am aware, I have no other registry cleaner on the system.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 04. 2014 16:34

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Ok I do use Norton 360 on this PC... Will investigate the registry cleaning aspects and report back.

The registry cleaner part of the program can be turned off (not scheduled to run) with no ill effects (only benefits).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 04. 2014 16:34

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
ChrisBud [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK thanks Steve.

I can confirm that registry cleaner is turned off, and has never run.