Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Overlapping transitions shortens timeline
tommyg [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Ohio Joined: Sep 18, 2011 10:35 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
I've noticed that after I have completed my timeline and move on to adding transitions, the "overlap" transition always shortens my timeline. I kind of understand what's happening, but this is the only software package I've used that treats these transitions in this way. It's a problem when I've got my timeline synced with my music score.

Anyone know a way around this?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I've noticed that after I have completed my timeline and move on to adding transitions, the "overlap" transition always shortens my timeline. I kind of understand what's happening, but this is the only software package I've used that treats these transitions in this way. It's a problem when I've got my timeline synced with my music score.

Try the Cross transition instead of overlap.

It is a known condition, I do not remember which transition shortens the video and which one does not. If overlap is shortening the video, then Cross must be the one that does not.

Cross is my default transition.
You can set that in Preferences > Editing.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 27. 2014 22:13

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I've noticed that after I have completed my timeline and move on to adding transitions, the "overlap" transition always shortens my timeline. I kind of understand what's happening, but this is the only software package I've used that treats these transitions in this way. It's a problem when I've got my timeline synced with my music score.

Hi tommyg,
Carl has really answered your problem but I thought I'd add a bit more.
In a single timeline with video abutted to each other, the placement of an overlap transition will result in a shortening and merging of the two video, by the length of the overlap transition.

The question an editor needs to answer is, do you need to put a transition in? In the vast majority of movies, commercials, TV productions, a transition isn't used. In soaps (those weak daily programs about a street, town etc) an editor/director cleverly uses a door or gate closing with an actor leaving/entering a scene, to open to the next clip, no transition, no fade to... just a quick movement to the next scene.

The transition tool can be over used - best applied when stills are in the frame.

Just an opinion.
Dafydd
tommyg [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Ohio Joined: Sep 18, 2011 10:35 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
Dafydd, I agree with you that people can overuse transitions. My favorite ones are the simplest. Specifically, the fade transition. If I use "overlap" as my default, then the clips are overlapped accordingly and my timeline shortened by that amount. If I use "cross" as my default, then apply the fade transition, I don't experience the shortening of the clip, but I do notice the video motion pauses in the middle of the fade as the preceding clip is introduced. It's close to being what I want, but that pause bothers me.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Select a clip in the timeline. Use "MODIFY", scroll to the bottom and tick FADE IN and FADE OUT.
Time length of the fades is adjustable in the timeline itself.
A) Using a single timeline, with clips butted up to each other, this will result in a smooth fade to black, fade from black.
B) Using 2 or more timelines, with the clips alternating from upper to lower timeline, slightly overlapping, will result in a very good cross fade, with no stoppage.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 29. 2014 18:17

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Click the ? in the upper right corner of PD and under the INDEX tab type in "transitions." Click the subheading "behavior" for an overview.

The freeze that you describe with a cross transition can be minimized by shortening the transition duration.

To get around it, for simple fades, stack the tracks with an overlap between them. Then use OPACITY keyframes to fade one down while fading the other up.

There are a number of ways of accomplishing that but perhaps the simplest is to double-click the clip. Then, in the MODIFY window that appears, scroll down the left column and put a check in the FADE IN or OUT box - whichever applies.

Back on the timeline you will see the following.

The dots (keyframes) can be moved by clicking on each, and dragging left or right. The closer together keyframes are... the faster the action (fade, in this case) will be.

[Thumb - 1.JPG]
 Filename
1.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
22 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
176 time(s)

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at Jul 29. 2014 18:22

[Post New]
HI,
Dragging the files tends to mess up everything on the timeline afterwards. I tried changing the defaults but different problems appeared. One thing I thought of is if I select all the files after the thing I am trying to drag and I group them together- perhaps this would help. But I have A LOT of clips.

My ?: Does anyone know if there is a shortcut to select everything AFTER a clip? Thx for help. New to this forum- but have been using PD for years...
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: HI,
Dragging the files tends to mess up everything on the timeline afterwards. I tried changing the defaults but different problems appeared. One thing I thought of is if I select all the files after the thing I am trying to drag and I group them together- perhaps this would help. But I have A LOT of clips.

My ?: Does anyone know if there is a shortcut to select everything AFTER a clip? Thx for help. New to this forum- but have been using PD for years...
To select everything following, click on first clip hold the Shift key while clicking the last clip.

Standard Windows Selection. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Not certain this is what you're after...

Select the first clip by clicking on it.
Then hold down the <shift> key and select the last clip.
ALL clips within the range will be selected (highlighted).
Standard Windows procedure.