Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Just Installed PD 12 (Problems)
philF [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 11, 2014 21:52 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hi folks.

I installed PD12 last night after seeing the reviews in some PC forums etc, however, I'm experiencing annoying problems.

After reading a few reports I have upgraded the patches etc but I'm still experiencing issue.

Originally, I could not import video media, it would simply hang and require me to force shut PD down. After converting the media via windows movie maker it would work but although it displayed 100% successful, it would still hang forcing me to shut it down, and on many occasions restart the laptop. Just to point out, when I forced closed it asked me to save the file which I did, and on restart it worked.

But since upgrading the problem has gone from annoying to terribly annoying! Now, even after force closing nothing is saved.

Can anyone assist with this issue. I have basic knowledge of computers btw.

I am using an HP Pavilion with windows 8.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 12. 2014 04:45

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
philF,
welcome to the forum.
It's best to start off with a dxdiag diagnostic of your computer's innards.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/29701.page
Please provide part A and part B for us to analyze.
Attach, do not copy/paste or your post will be 6 miles long. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
philF [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,
Power Director 12 - 32Bit
Powerdirector Delux12.0.2930.0
SR Number VDE140423-01

In the screen shot I have provided, this is as far as I can get. The only way to close it down at the moment is in Task Manager. Prior to the recent patch install I could click the tab in the window bottom, where it would then ask me to save the work. On restart the work had been saved. However, more often than not, I cannot re-open PD once it has been closed via Task Manager. I have to restart the laptop.

Many Thanks
[Thumb - PD12  Freeze.jpg]
 Filename
PD12 Freeze.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
screen shot
 Filesize
68 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
60 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag,PhilF.rar
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
13 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
197 time(s)
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
PhilF,
your video drivers are a little dated, not too bad, but an update might prove useful.
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
AMD Radeon HD 8600M Series
An update of Quicktime often proves useful, too.
Have you ever installed a codec pack? Many of us have installed K-lite codec pack. Links to all these updates are on my site.
Have you tried a re-install?
Ever used a defragging utility? It's not advisable for an SSD, but spinning hard drives need it.
Ever used CCleaner for maintenance? Also helpful.

There seems to be a lot of crash/hang reports, too. I was hoping a more astute reader of the dxdiags would join the conversation.

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi philF ,

Looking at the diagnostic and the screenshot.
1. Your computer does not meet the minimum RAM requirement for editing HD video.
2. The image you provided shows you have imported an HD file in a wmv format and you have Shadow edit files option.
2-1. Your computer is struggling to play and process the HD files.
2-2. With the option of Shadow Edit file in play you need to not do anything with PDR (or anything else on your computer) until the icon changes from yellow to green.
3. With only 4GB of Ram, the computer is lacking capacity to process HD - underpowered and likely to cause crashes. - Add more Ram 8 to 16GB.
4. Update your GPU drivers.
Look up the spec for PDR12 and 64bit:
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=16444&prodId=4

Dafydd
philF [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the info, but for some reason the PD12 has been running great with no explanation. I have not needed to convert the files in window live, everything seems to be working as it should?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi philF ,

Looking at the diagnostic and the screenshot.
1. Your computer does not meet the minimum RAM requirement for editing HD video.
2. The image you provided shows you have imported an HD file in a wmv format and you have Shadow edit files option.
2-1. Your computer is struggling to play and process the HD files.
2-2. With the option of Shadow Edit file in play you need to not do anything with PDR (or anything else on your computer) until the icon changes from yellow to green.
3. With only 4GB of Ram, the computer is lacking capacity to process HD - underpowered and likely to cause crashes. - Add more Ram 8 to 16GB.
4. Update your GPU drivers.
Look up the spec for PDR12 and 64bit:
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=16444&prodId=4

Dafydd

How would adding more RAM, Item 3 above, help his PD issues? OP posted:
Quote: Power Director 12 - 32Bit
Powerdirector Delux12.0.2930.0
SR Number VDE140423-01

philF has got a 32bit version of PD running under WOW64 on Windows 8 Pro platform. Nothing wrong with that. However, adding 8 to 16GB or RAM will do nothing for his 32-bit Delux version of PD12, the application can't address the memory anyhow.

Jeff
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Jeff,
The minimum requirement link I gave does not specify whether the user has a 32bit or 64bit PDR12.
Memory
2 GB required.
3 GB DDR2 or above recommended for 32 bit OS.
6 GB DDR2 or above recommended for 64 bit OS.

The spec only gives the Ram requirement for a 64bit Operating System. The OP has a 64bit Operating System. You are correct to say that the 32bit version of PDR12 cant take advantage of additional RAM however the minimum spec is for the Operating System. I did miss the user/OP only had a 32bit version of PDR12, the addition I mentioned could not be taken advantage of by the OP's computer and PDR12 here. The OP's computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements for the OS and PDR12.

Quote: Thanks for the info, but for some reason the PD12 has been running great with no explanation. I have not needed to convert the files in window live, everything seems to be working as it should?

Hi PhiF,
Ok, Not sure what you mean by "running great" when you've only just installed it. What media files (video) have you been importing into PDR12 before the recent issue? "Convert the files in window live", I'm not sure what you mean by that.
Lagging and slow response - what was the size of file you were importing? Can you repeat the issue with different files?
In the guide, part J , please provide the info on the media files you're finding PDR12 is struggling with.
I'm looking to see what you've used PDR12 with successfully and what is failing to function now. What the media files are that have caused the problem for you. Shadow Files are operating on your set up and that can slow up your limited resources.
As stated previously, your current set up does not meet the minimum RAM spec for a 64bit OS.
Dafydd

Edit: added a missing word.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 14. 2014 05:11

philF [Avatar]
[Post New]
^
I'm not technical when it comes to computers. I test drive motorcycles and cars so bare with me.

The reason for the use of PD12 was to create video reviews using Drift Ghost-S and other action cam devices.

When I first transferred the files from the action cams, I clicked import and and then the file I required with the video files on the laptop. The computer would hang. I couldn't close it down without left clicking on the tab at the bottom of the screen. As i'd already given up, I went back to using Windows Movie maker and converted the files from the action cams to WMV. Just out of curiousity I tried importing those WMV files in PD12 and it responded with 100% success. However, the window displaying complete would not close down, and yet again I needed to close it down by clicking the tab or by task manager. On occasion, PD would not restart without restarting the laptop, it did, however, save the file and allowed me to edit and add music for example. When importing new files I had go through the same process.

Since posting this issue, I have had no problems at all. I can import directly from the Drift, Mobius or GoPro without the need to modify in WMM. As far as I am aware, it is doing exactly as I hoped of it.

I'm sorry I can't explain in more technical details, but I have made no modification or installed patches since the original post.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 14. 2014 06:12

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: ^
I'm not technical when it comes to computers. I test drive motorcycles and cars so bare with me.

The reason for the use of PD12 was to create video reviews using Drift Ghost-S and other action cam devices.

When I first transferred the files from the action cams, I clicked import and and then the file I required with the video files on the laptop. The computer would hang. I couldn't close it down without left clicking on the tab at the bottom of the screen. As i'd already given up, I went back to using Windows Movie maker and converted the files from the action cams to WMV. Just out of curiousity I tried importing those WMV files in PD12 and it responded with 100% success. However, the window displaying complete would not close down, and yet again I needed to close it down by clicking the tab or by task manager. On occasion, PD would not restart without restarting the laptop, it did, however, save the file and allowed me to edit and add music for example. When importing new files I had go through the same process.

Since posting this issue, I have had no problems at all. I can import directly from the Drift, Mobius or GoPro without the need to modify in WMM. As far as I am aware, it is doing exactly as I hoped of it.

I'm sorry I can't explain in more technical details, but I have made no modification or installed patches since the original post.

Hi
The Drift Ghost-S, what a lovely action cam, 1080 60fps mp4, brilliant. OK, I'm glad you appear sorted. You really do need to up the Ram in your device and you should have gone for the 64bit version of PowerDirector so you could have had a smoother editing experience.
Thanks for coming back with the info... I really do like the Drift Ghost-S, if you can attach a short sample, 5 seconds long I'd be interested in the spec of the video it produces too.
I'll have to make do with my ContourHD for now
Dafydd
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi philF ,
I mentioned the 64bit version and perhaps as a new purchaser you are unaware of the refund policy CyberLink has.
Where can I find the refund policy for the download version?

CyberLink Online Store offers a 30-day money back guarantee.
To obtain a refund for digital product(s), please click here.

Money Back Guarantee - CyberLink
I wish to cancel my order - what do I need to do?

CyberLink offers a 30 day money back guarantee on its products.

If you are not satisfied with your purchase, you can cancel your order up to 30 days following the original order date. To cancel the order and receive a refund, please send an email to: customerservice@asknet.com.

With the cancellation you are renouncing the right to use the software.

If you go for a 32bit refund you can then opt for the 64bit version. With the addition of additional Ram you will have a better editing experience.

Quotes are from:
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=2317
https://asknet-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2215/kw/refund

RAM. I mentioned in an earlier post the increase amount and I would opt for 16GB but 8 will do. On a desktop Ram is placed on the motherboard in pairs with 1 & 3 positions being a pair and 2 & 4 the other. Ram should be equally split and I opt to have the same make to. In a notebook you should find an alternative slot but if you're unsure ask a techie. I have added more Ram to a notebook and this involves unscrewing an access panel. You will need to check with the manufacturers spec as notebook ram used to vary in shape when I did it last.

Dafydd