Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Animating Key frames in PIP Designer causing PD12 to crash. Could it be a bug?
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all

I've been playing around with the PIP Designer and trying to animate an image over a video track. It all worked like it should until I tried to move the image to make it appear as if it was part of the moving video, that's when PD12 crashed
It's quite a simple idea really, having created a simple, static title using PowerDirector, then a png image from the title, I keyframed the image to move with the video. Next, I used the green rotate button on the top of the frame with PIP Designer so that the png image was angled correctly with the video and that is when the problem started. The png image became locked and I could not reposition it! This problem also affected the next keyframe.
It appears to be the keyframes in the motion track that were causing this trouble. When trying to delete the troublesome key frame by clicking on and using the right mouse button, then select Delete Keyframe from the list, the wrong keyframe to the left was deleted ( it is not even selected!) but the one I needed to delete, remained! This happened several times the PowerDirector crashed, and a report was duly published.

Let me re-cap. The basic animation of moving the png image with the video worked really well. It was using the green rotation button that appears to cause the problem with sticking image. You can still use the blue corners but you can't reposition the image over the video until you've deleted the "Motion" keyframe.

The short video clip I was playing around with animated titles. The happy lady appears again at the end!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt76eFcZ8P4

Cheers all.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 30. 2014 02:56

I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kyle -

Are you talking about the green rotation handle in Properties or Motion. Each one does different things. Under Properties, it rotates the object. Under Motion, it rotates the motion path.

I think I've pushed PD about as far as it can go with complex motion paths, & I've never had it "crash" during the process. There have been many times when the PiP Designer module becomes totally unresponsive or appears to be doing its own thing - like when you tried to remove one keyframe & a different one vanished.

Sometimes, when switching between motion & properties (mainly to adjust opacity), the scale handles just disappear. The indicates a bit of "fragility". After saving and returning to PiP Designer, they re-appear.

I rarely use the rotation handle, unless I want the object to stay at the same angle. Changing the rotation keyframes under Keyframes > Clip Attributes > Rotation gives more accurate control... like in this toot - http://youtu.be/r2cFSspToCM

In summary - though PD hasn't actually crashed under those circumstances here, there's certainly evidence of some flaky behaviour.

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Kyle 40
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Kyle -

Are you talking about the green rotation handle in Properties or Motion. Each one does different things. Under Properties, it rotates the object. Under Motion, it rotates the motion path.

Hi Tony thanks for your reply.

I should have added that the problem arose while I was when working with the green rotation handle in Properties. See supplied image ...

The crashes happen just after the PIP designer becomes unresponsive. What causes the unresponsive behaviour is when I've attempted to adjust the green rotation handle, then tried to adjust the position of the image. The image won't move, neither will the "undo" button, undo the adjustment I've just created. After everything freezes, the PowerDirector interface disappears and instantly a small screen appears asking for your email ( non essential ) and what you were doing at the time of the crash.

the effect I was after was to try and keep the wording level with the persons head while she nodded her her head in different directions, a kind of 3D space. It was just an idea I had so I wanted to see if it could be done in PD 12. I almost achieved it by also using the scale handles but they also adjust the level of the image requiring more tweaking than usual

Cheers
[Thumb - PIP 1.jpg]
 Filename
PIP 1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
277 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
155 time(s)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Kyle 40 ,
You may just have found a "stress point" for your computer.
1. Does the issue repeat with every attempt?
2. Does the issue occur when you create a similar project with different media files and a different title?
3. Did you fill out the crash report and give full details to R&D? (that's where the message goes to).
4. Please attached a diagnostic of your PC.

Dafydd
Kyle 40
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Kyle 40 ,
You may just have found a "stress point" for your computer.
1. Does the issue repeat with every attempt?
2. Does the issue occur when you create a similar project with different media files and a different title?
3. Did you fill out the crash report and give full details to R&D? (that's where the message goes to).
4. Please attached a diagnostic of your PC.

Dafydd

Hi Dafydd, thanks for your reply.

I did write out the report on the screen which appeared directly after PD disappeared and also made sure that my email address was present. Would this be the crash report you mention?

So far I haven't had time to try to find the stress point on another image or project, I fully intend to try.

Please find enclosed DxDiag file.

Cheers
 Filename
Kyle40-DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Kyle40 diagnostic file
 Filesize
37 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
550 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 02. 2014 15:49