Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
More thoughts on UHD, 4K, plus some footage.
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
I am glad that I can future proof my videos since PD 12 allows 4K editing at a modest cost and works well with my 4 year old computer.
At the moment the videos are watched in regular HD, but even here the 1" sensor of the AX100, a size not seen in prosumer camcorders before, makes a big difference in picture quality especially under limited lighting.

A 4K TV might appear near the end of the year, the newer models then might provide HDMI 2 on all inputs and 265 decoders.

These comments are in relation to the enclosed video.

Please note that there was literally no sunshine, Air Quality Level unhealthy to very unhealthy.

The FDR AX100 camera was mostly in the auto mode except during the night shots in Shanghai, there the gain was reduced to 15Db. In fact the camera is set to 15Db Max.

The scene of the Chinese women doing their laundry in the river was at max, 12x tele and I used post stabilization in PD12.

The Terra Cotta soldiers are mostly screen grabs, there were signs "no tripods" but there was such a crowd that I was constantly being jostled. The camera was set at
manual focus, infinity, because there was not enough contrast in the soldiers so the focus was constantly hunting. Fortunately the subjects were holding still.

In some scenes the limited 30P shows but it is a small price to pay. In fact not a problem when considering the frame rates of commercial optical discs. Because of the
additional data rate I doubt seriously that that 60P will ever be available for consumers,either internet, optical media or TV. The only application for 60P would be movie theaters.

I feel that that the steadiness of the shots is adequate, I can live with that. Any feed back on that subject would be much appreciated. BTW I bought a monopole and felt it was not that much help
when used in the normal manner. Nor that much weight saving.

my 2 cents worth.

It goes w/o saying that I was very glad that I bought and was able to get the camera in time. Its PQ certainly exceeded my expectations!
It will be around for some time.

Eugene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD1lwj_iGvM&feature=youtu.be

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jun 20. 2014 13:27

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Eugene -

Great job on the edit!

My ADSL had some trouble streaming in 4K, so I had to watch in HD. Still, very engaging visuals & audio. Surely that wasn't your "usual procedure" for breakfast!!!

It really deserves to be screen on one of these - http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/uhd-tv/ - I've been looking at a 7 series.

Thanks for the share. Glad you posted it again.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Tony.

Actually it was, while we were on that tour.

I had to take the first video off because my wife declared "this camera makes me look old" Sort of along the lines "this lens makes me look fat" years ago when I bought my first wide angle converter. And I had a nitwit sales man mentioning that in my wife's presence.

At the moment there are not too many in depth UHD TV reviews around. I assume you are not getting a curved screen, 55" would be too small.
My ideal set would be 70", dynamic back lighting, no tuner, just 4 HDMI 2 inputs. I rather prefer external boxes, easily replaced rather all that stuff internal.But the external generic boxes will not happen.

At the moment we have a 55", with close to 1000 led's for back lighting. Dynamic control helps but of course you have noticeable halos when using test patterns.

I am trying to point out that the transition to 4K can be done in stages and need not cost a fortune.

Eugene

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 20. 2014 20:22

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Wow!

4K is awesome

Thanks for sharing

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!