Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
New to PD8 - Notice jerkiness after transitions.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, all! After using Power Director 7 for a number of years, I recently stepped up to PD8, thanks to one of the contributors, who sent me his copy as it was now surplus to his requirements. However I feel I must comment on the performance of PD8 in relation to viewing clips in Edit mode. As I view the movie I'm editing, each time I come out of a transition, the movement becomes jerky, rather than smooth. I have to stop, then start to regain the smooth motion(hitting the space-bar, stop/start). Is this to do with the upgrade to build 3022? And if so, is it wise to reinstall the raw version WITHOUT the upgrade patch? Another thing I've noticed is that when I use the video-in-reverse effect for comic purpose, attempting to view the effect in edit mode, the effect does not flow as it should. Again I get this jerky rough effect which doesn't show me how well the effect works. It's not until I've produced(rendered) the final clip that I see the results of what I created. I made reference to reinstalling PD8 as I had used this method some time ago to put a stop to PD7 crashing on me during editing. I made the fatal error(to me) of downloading an upgrade build for PD7 and that's where the troubles started. On reinstalling PD7(when I was using it on a Windows XP computer), the problem was fixed - no more crashing! So I wonder if that's the way I should go here, reinstall PD8 from the disc without the upgrade patch? One other thing, I'd like to be able to produce my clips without having to set up each time I open the Produce window. Meaning, I want to set default parameters so that it will be automatically set to MPEG2 at DVD SP quality each time I select Produce.
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
I'd say it's definitely worth a try. I had problems after installing the latest patch to my PD9. In my case it caused a field-order reversal when producing to DVD-HQ. Doing a clean install from the original DVD cured it.

Does the jerkiness after transitions persist in the final produced movie? If not it may be that your system is a bit underpowered.

I don't think there is any way to set the default for Produce. Mine always defaults to AVI. There's nothing in Settings. It's probably hard-coded although it's possible there might be something in the Windows registry entries but I haven't looked.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 19. 2014 05:30

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, Fenman. I don't see the jerkiness AFTER producing(rendering) my clips. It's only during the editing process. After I add each piece, I play it through in "Clip" mode(portion highlighted) and trim down to exact minutes and seconds(loose frames deleted if number goes beyond each full second or falls short of the next full second, e.g. from 4 frames past the last second to 1 frame short of the next), this way my videos run to a full minute/second count without loose dangling "bits". Once this is done I add the transitions, typically 3-5 seconds long. It's while viewing the clips after the transitions are added that the jerkiness appears. Stop and start with space-bar and get smooth flowing play back again. I'll persist with this for a while longer but if it gets too annoying, then I'll re-install PD8 raw from the installation disc WITHOUT the upgrade patch 3022.