Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Return to menu at end of chapter
RobertWA [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Sep 20, 2008 00:18 Messages: 223 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all

I am using PD 7 and would like to be able to produce a DVD in which I can select to view just a single chapter and then automatically return to the main menu. I don't think PD7 can do this (or, if it does, I haven't been able to find out how). Is there any package which will do it?

Thanks in advance

Robert
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Robert,

This issue is on the forum elsewhere...somewhere.

With PD7 you cant. Future build - we hope and it has been suggested.

Try PowerProducer.

thanks for the input.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 25. 2008 07:46

RobertWA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd

Thanks.

I looked at Power Producer on the Cyberlink website but couldn't determine whether it does what I want.

Perhaps someone out there who has used Power Producer can advise.

Thanks again.

Robert
RobertWA [Avatar]
[Post New]
I asked on the Power Producer forum and was advised that Power Producer 5 has this functionality, so I'll give that a try.

Robert
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
I know it has.

Like I said "Try PowerProducer".

Dafydd
[Moderator]
RobertWA [Avatar]
[Post New]
I downloaded the trial version of Power Producer 5 and tried to solve my menu problem, but without success.

I want to be able to have a main menu which allows me to select to play the whole movie, or go to a scene selection menu which allows me to choose to view one scene and then return to this scene menu, then view another scene or return to the main menu.

My attempts so far have failed. I can get to see individual scenes and return to the scenes menu, but can't get it to play the whole movie (when I select that option it plays the first scene and then returns to the menu).

It seems that I can have a DVD which plays the whole movie, or one that lets me select scenes and return to the menu, but not both.

Can anyone help me by walking me through the steps necessary to achieve this?

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Robert
Ernie [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 19, 2006 13:26 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
What you are saying Dafydd, is that if one buys a piece of software that purports to do something, in this case produce a proper menu and when it doesn't work you should buy another piece of software, from the same company, to do the job.

The logical question would be, if Cyberlink can write Power Producer to make menus properly, why can't they do the same for Power Director.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: What you are saying Dafydd, is that if one buys a piece of software that purports to do something, in this case produce a proper menu and when it doesn't work you should buy another piece of software, from the same company, to do the job.

The logical question would be, if Cyberlink can write Power Producer to make menus properly, why can't they do the same for Power Director.

What I wrote is "TRY POWERPRODUCER". The inferrence is your interpretation and NOT MINE. I also stated a "we hope" regarding a future PD.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 13. 2008 05:58

[Post New]
Well, now I'm a little confused...

I bought PowerDirector because it looked like that's what I needed.

Now maybe I'm beginning to think that I should have bought PowerProducer in the first place.

But I can't see anything on CyberLink's web site that compares the two products. It just compares different versions of the same product.

So...

What's the difference between PowerDirector and PowerProducer? What features do they have in common? What features does one have that the other doesn't have? Under what conditions should we condsider purchasing one over the other? Is there a reason why we would need both?
[Post New]
Joe - From my frequent use of both products, I have been able to summarise them as follows:

- PD is an excellent video editing package which can create basic menus (authoring)

- PP is a decent authoring program with very limited editing capability.

Obviously Cyberlink have tried to deliver two products which are different but have an element of overarching commonality i.e. you can capture video and via a simple workflow, produce a DVD. However, PD and PP are not expensive and one needs to bear in mind they have their limitations.

Robert (WA) - From what I understand of your requirements - i.e. to allow either a main menu which can play the whole movie or go to a scene selection menu etc. - I think you need the ability to create a playlist.

Whilst PP5 does not do this yet, I have found a wonderful bit of software which does this brilliantly - DVDit Pro 6 from Roxio. It costs a lot more than PP5, but at least offers this and other higher level functions for those prepared to pay for them.
Windows 7 - i7 860, 8Gb RAM, 2 x 1 TB HDD, GTS 250 1Gb Video