Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
NVIDIA Quadro
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
I wonder if someone can explain- in, let's say a not too complexed way -
what this line of cards have to offer versus 700xxx cards.

On NVIDIA site it says, among other things:
Guaranteed compatibility through support for the latest OpenGL,
DirectX and NIVIDIA Cuda standards.

And further;
deep professional software developer engagements, and certification with over 200 applications by software companies

Now, given the trouble PD12 has had with 700xxx cards..............?
There will come a time in forseeable future where I will have to invest in a new desktop/workstation,
and that's why this question has turned up.

Nina
Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Nina, I started with a Quadro card when I built my new system in February, but it was a lot slower than my older GTX 770 card. The Quadro cards are 2x-4x the cost of the GTX cards because they are intended for "professional" applications, like medical imaging, CAD, etc.

From what I've read, the cards do not perform all that well with the standard nVidia drivers, and the 200 companies that have certified the card have written custom drivers to bring out the card's full performance for their product(s). You can see a list of every certified company and download the driver for their apps on the nVidia website, but those drivers will not work on other apps.

Adobe and AVID have certified Quadro drivers, but at this point Cyberlink does not. If you were to buy one, I'm afraid you would see the performance drop significantly from your current 7xx series card.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Nina,

We run Quadro cards on all our "engineering" boxes, work related. The main reason, the consumer end GeForce does not handle OpenGL (graphic display routines of many engineering apps) near as well as Quadro cards. GeForce cards handle OpenGL not as efficiently but handle Direct3D/DirectX (graphic display routines for PC games and PD) very efficiently. Don't confuse OpenGL with OpenCL, different technologies that do different things.

Just a wild guess, the most logical reason I see for the 700 series issue was this card was the first to support a new CUDA major rev and other Nvidia features, this more than likely caused a hiccup with PD. Keep in mind, it was not a NVIDIA patch that corrected most of your issues as I understood them but a PD patch. In PD's defense, I've not seen them publish support for 700 series, PD12 Spec state: GeForce GT/GTS/GTX 200/400/500/600 Series, except for the beta patch 2923 which mentions 700 series improvements. Yes, one tries to engineer products and apps to make things compatible but that does not always happen.

I personally would not go with a Quadro based card for PD, it's not cost/performance efficient for PD in my view. If you have the bucks to spend, put them to a more efficient area for how you use PD, most likely the CPU.

Jeff
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
optodata and Jeff

Thank you both for your inputs - and clarifications.

I use this firm in Norway for 1) they built my current workstation 2) they offer me great service 3) they have the parts I need
if I need any- at a fair price. (Remember the high cost country.....Norway...)
I've been talking to "my guy" there, and this time he advised me to look in to the more-or-less ready built
gaming PCs instead of having one built from scratch. Because he is thinking one of them will suit my needs fine- I can customise
in a few ways and- keeping the cost down as opposed to build from scratch.

They seem to have switched motherboard from Asus to ASRock when building. Not sure why.
If you will take the time to look at this site- great!
http://www.multicom.no/Gaming-PC/cat-c/c100583

The one I can customise online is "Multicom Drogo X7910".
"Tilpass" means "customise".
But maybe the one called "Multicom Drogo i831 Killer Gaming PC" is an option?
( I probably could have them customise that one some if I want to)

Nina

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Nina1,
Well I am running windows 7 Home 64 bit with i7@2600@3.4Gh (sandy Bridge) processor with a GeForce 560T 1GB gaming GPU and 12GB memory and have had no issues with any of the PD builds, on occasion after a widows update I have to do a cold boot to have PD pick up the updates then all if fine. Also running the latest Beta and the latest Nvidia drivers.
This is to maybe help the decision although I am not on Windows 8 may help me.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!