Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to do stop motion effect in PD ??
neils [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 17, 2009 22:43 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Hey guys,

I realize this might not be an easy answer to detail, but I am looking for a fairly easy way to do stop motion video, similar to this car video below. I have used PD extensively, and the only thing I can think of that would achieve this would be to painstakingly chop up the video into smaller parts, playing with the playback speed for each part.

What would be nice would be to have some sort of stop motion effect, where one can choose if you start fast or slow, and then choose the center point of the speed change. Not sure if this is possible, but curious to hear back from PD users if you have tried this effect yourself, and what steps did you have to do to get it to look like the video below.

Thanks so much for your time in answering this !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GQVhMeoayo
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/21690.page

http://diytripods.com/cyberlink-powerdirector-11-for-time-lapse-and-traditional-videos/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZmC1sz5W-4&feature=kp

See if these shed some light on the subject.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 05. 2014 18:05

neils [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks so much for those links, but that is not the effect I am looking to create. Perhaps stop motion is not the correct terminology to use. I don't want to do a Tim Burton piece, where you assemble a bunch of pictures with specific pre-set times in between each, to turn the pictures into a stop motion video.

What I would like to achieve is exactly what is in that car video within this thread, where you may FFW high speed for a specific amount of time, and then wham, slam on the brakes and you're in slow motion, then wham high speed again, then wham slow motion again.

What I am trying to figure out, is with the exact same video clip, how could I make one portion of it play high speed, and then one portion slam into slow motion right after, without having to use 2 copies of the same clip at different speeds and have to line up the 2 copies for a continuous flow.

Again, the car movie included in this thread sums up what I would like to achieve. I thought I would ask here first before bugging the folks over at CyberLink, I am sure there must be an easy way to do this.

If it were up to me, I would ask (beg) CyberLink to add this as a video effect, where you drop a video clip on the timeline, and it would allow you to define multiple playback speeds for that same clip, so that you could do the effect I am talking about. Of course PD would have to allow you to define multiple points where the speeds change, ideally with drag and drop markers.

I can't be the only guy in the PD community trying to achieve this effect.

Thanks
Neil
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Have you tried splitting a clip several times at the appropriate places and then applying the speed change to each section? If so, what happened? .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
neils [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am not in front of my computer now, but are you saying that there is an option to split a single video clip multiple times with markers, and then assign a unique playback speed for each of those splits ?? If yes, then that would address this topic on how to create the video motion I am looking for. But somehow, I am questioning if that is even possible, to create multiple points or splits on the same video clip, with different speeds.

Will have to dig more into this split option you are talking about.

Thanks !!
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I am not in front of my computer now, but are you saying that there is an option to split a single video clip multiple times with markers, and then assign a unique playback speed for each of those splits ?? If yes, then that would address this topic on how to create the video motion I am looking for. But somehow, I am questioning if that is even possible, to create multiple points or splits on the same video clip, with different speeds.

Will have to dig more into this split option you are talking about.

Thanks !!

Yes, split the clip, select the first one you want to modify and then go to "Power Tools" to change thast clip's speed. Select the next clip that you want to change speed on and and repeat. You can easily get 0.1 X speed up to somewhere around 10X. Play with it. You do not have to add transitions although you may not like the jump speed change.

It is pretty easy. Of course, you are the only one who would know if that is what you want. It is exactly what you did not want to do from what you first posted but perhaps it is less difficult than you first thought?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 06. 2014 11:45

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, Neils, (from Neil), the effect you're looking for, and what Stevek is referring to,has been available on Power Director from quite a few versions back(exactly how far I'm not certain) but I used a speed-up effect recently on a sequence where I was packing a tent at the end of an Easter camping trip. Add the tune "Yakety-Axe(any version you like) and I wind up with a Benny Hill-esque skit, quite funny to watch!. In some cases, the audio may be affected. Might be an idea to mute the native audio track and add your own sound effects.
neils [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Neil (and Stevek) for your replies !!!

Neil #2, what you just described (high speed Benny Hill type video) is easy, and I understand how to do that. You just increase the playback speed for your clip and done. But that is not the effect I was looking to do, at least not completely. I think Stevek understood my desired effect, and I think I know how to describe it better now.

Imagine that same tent video, where you playback high speed a portion of it, and then as soon as you approach the front of the tent in your video, you slam on the brakes, MATRIX style, run a portion of the video slow motion as you walk by the tent, and when you reach the other side of the tent, wham, back to high speed playback. So you get that MATRIX (movie) effect.

If you look at the car video from my original post, you will see that effect really well done. What I was trying to do was avoid having to use portions of the same clip over and over again, one at high speed, another at slow speed, another at high speed, and keep going like that, with the nightmare of having to line up and sync the video clips at exactly the right point to make it look seemless.

Stevek talks about using markers to help splitting the clip, so even though several iterations have to be used at different speeds, at least the flow of one clip to the next would be properly matched.

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
PowerDirector does not have a smooth fluid speed change.
There is standalone product that has that ability, from a company that is now making PD plugins for the future, not sure when, maybe PD13...14? I'll pm the name. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi again, Neils(from Neil #2) I understand the idea you're trying to put into action, speed-up, then slow-down, it's a matter of splitting the clip, as explained by Stevek. The only problem is that which Barry The Crab pointed out in his latest post. Though I think it might all fall in place in the final rendering. I've just stepped up to PD8 after having used PD7 for several years, first on a Windows XP-based computer, then on my current computer when the last one "breathed its last breath". I tried the Video In Reverse effect in "Power Tools", watching the effect I wanted to create was a but jerky in the edit stage, but once the completed rendering was done, the effect ran smoothly(though the audio dropped out a bit. I'm going to need to do some experimenting with that effect. But your speed-up/slow-down effect may work okay when you've rendered(produced) your final clip. Let's know how you got on, okay?

Cheers for now!
Neil F.1955
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
And again, Hi, Neils! I just read through what you described for your car video, using my tent-packing sequence as an analogy. Rather than "having to use portions of the same clip over and over again", You use the clip once, watching through to the point(frame) where you want one effect to end and the next to start, you split the clip, repeating the process for the number of times you wish to apply the effect until you've reached the end of the clip. Highlighting each "division", alternately apply the speed-up or the slow-down effect. Don't apply any transition effects as they may spoil the overall effect you're trying to achieve.

Again I ask, let us know how you got on.
Cheers!
Neil F.1955
neils [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you gents !!! It was just a matter of me playing around with PD and finding one key piece that I missed, MULTI TRIM. Once I found that option, as you described, I was able to create uninterrupted mini clips within the main clip, basically setting start and stop markers. Once my MULTI TRIM was done and I hit done, it applied those markers and create multiple mini clips on the timeline, and most importantly, the clips flowed one into the other. If I were to leave the speed normal at that point, each mini clip would play into the next, as if it were the original clip.

Then from there all I had to do was select each mini clip, right click and go into Edit Video => Power Tools, and there I had the option to change speed, whether I use the slide bar to slow down or speed up, or the slow motion option with drop down speeds.

Tried it and it worked perfectly. So glad I did not have to deal with plugins and addons to accomplish this, as I really like the feel, flow and layout of PD. This powerful feature was there all along, just needed to understand how to do MULTI TRIM first to get a continuous flow to start out.

Thanks again guys for all of your help !!! Great community of people here.

Neil

Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
There is a useful little utility called PDSpeed that allows you to do splittting and trimming directly on the timeline using simple single-key commands. I have found it far faster than using the Trim/Multi-Trim boxes.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/14452.page

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 13. 2014 05:41

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64