Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cannot combine clips
JerryO111 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 01, 2014 16:36 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I have edited audio and video bits from clips on the time line by splitting and deleting audio and video at the same time instead of using the wave editor. As I deleted the unwanted snippit, I clicked on " Remove and move all Timeline clips after removed clips."

I am left with many smaller clips. I am trying to combine certain of these smaller clips by selecting them and right clicking, but the combine button is not active. It is greyed out. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?
Thank you,
JerryO
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
If you chose "remove and move all TL clips after removed," there should have been no gaps.

If there are gaps, individual clips can be selected (highlighted) and dragged left or right to close those gaps. Or right-click in the gap area and "remove and move..."

I see no "combine" option - enabled or not - so perhaps I have missed the point.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 02. 2014 22:22

RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
I just gave this a shot and here is what I found:

If you delete or change the length or time of the sections of a split clip then you can no longer combine them.

Combine only works for me when the split clip is not moved or changed in any way.
You cannot combine other clips that are different sections from each other.

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
[Post New]
I agree with robac showed.
Clip's audio or video that have been split can only be combined if they are not modified. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
I thought that I was doing it all the time ! Perhaps I am misunderstanding the problem. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
borgus1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Please define what is meant by "combine" in this context.
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Borgus1:

My understanding of the "Combine" function is that if you mistakenly split a clip and don't remove any frames, then you can highlight the clips and re-"combine" them. Once you remove any frames, you can no longer combine the split clips, because frames are missing. You can then close the gap, but the clips remain split and you can no longer "combine" them as one.

If I am mistaken, perhaps the more expert contributors can enlighten all of us.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
borgus1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Makes sense Phil, but after removing a section of a single clip - leaving a gap - I see no menu (right-click) mention of "combine." Where, if anywhere, does this term appear?

Or how is the "combine" function achieved, assuming no fragments of the clip have been removed?

Perhaps this feature is exclusive to PD12?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 04. 2014 14:17

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Borgus1,

I only know of a couple ways to re-combine a clip that has been split:
1. You can use the UNDO function (Ctrl+Z) or on the top of user interface immediately after splitting.
2. You can drag the original clip to the timeline. (This will undo all edits done to that clip)
3. You can load a previous project file (pds). That was before the split.

4. Produce the project, that will combine everything into one video.

Or you can leave the clip in its current split condition, when you produce the project, you would not know there was ever a split put in the clip. Provided you have not removed any part of the clip at the split.

Splits can be starting and ending points for effects.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Carl, Thanks for that.

I was thinking that combine meant to drag the clips to where they "touch" so that there is no gap. This would be normally where you can put in a transition or just have a jump from one clip to the next.

Of course number 4 is the best method to "truly combine the clips". .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
JerryO111 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 01, 2014 16:36 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you everyone!! I use music recording software and i was thinking that way when i posted this question. I have been given the info I need.
Thank you a lot.
Jerry