Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
GPU Utilisation
[Post New]
Is there any reason why my GPU utilisation should more than double when I pause a .mkv video file? Normally, my GPU runs at about 16-17% when playing a video, but jumps to over 35% when paused.

My graphics adapter is a NVidia GeForce GTX 770M. I am running on an ASUS G750JX laptop, using Windows 8.1 PRO x64. My copy of PowerDVD 14 has been updated with the 4028 patch.
[Post New]
is it the memory on the gpu or the gpu itself? i doubt anyone has monitored the gpu. maybe you could try with another blu-ray player like windvd? if the issue is a real one, then you should report this to tech support.
[Post New]
No, it's the GPU itself. PowerDVD only uses about 600 MB of video memory. I can't say this is a problem; I was just curious as to why a programme doing nothing uses more resources than a working programme. I have used KMPlayer in the past and its GPU utilisation drops to zero on pause.

Thanks for your help.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 27. 2014 03:22

[Post New]
powerdvd, in my opinion, is a poorly developed piece of software and this isn't going to change. so it may very well have a high unnecessary load on the gpu.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: No, it's the GPU itself. PowerDVD only uses about 600 MB of video memory. I can't say this is a problem; I was just curious as to why a programme doing nothing uses more resources than a working programme. I have used KMPlayer in the past and its GPU utilisation drops to zero on pause.

Thanks for your help.

Hi,
can you post a screenshot of the symptom with KM Player and with PowerDVD?
can you please post a DXDIAG log file of your platform?

thx
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
[Post New]
I can't post anything with KMPlayer as I uninstalled it when I installed PowerDVD 14. Also it would just be a number as already reported. I have attached the dxdiag output as requested.

Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
68 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
313 time(s)
[Post New]
OK. I have attached a log file from GPU-Z. The sequence of events is as follows:
1. Started GPU-Z.
2. Started PowerDVD 14 with a video file and allowed it to play.
3. Paused the video.
4. Resumed the video.
5. Terminated the log.
 Filename
GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
31 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
254 time(s)