Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector v12 choppy video preview
grapestory [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Texas Joined: May 16, 2014 11:42 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I am having trouble with the video preview on the timeline, every time I try playback it lags and is very choppy. I have checked everything I possibly can. I am running 4910 Intel i7 - Nvidia 880M - 16GB of RAM, and all of those have their drivers up to date and are enabled. I turned off Real-Time Preview, I lowered the preview resolution, I have hardware acceleration enabled, Ive tried render preview, ive tried reformatting my video which I did think id have to do, Its HD video shot from my Nikon D3100. Nothing I have tried has produced smooth playback within the preview mode, its impossible for me to edit with this lag. Any and all help is appreciated thank you!
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I am having trouble with the video preview on the timeline, every time I try playback it lags and is very choppy. I have checked everything I possibly can. I am running 4910 Intel i7 - Nvidia 880M - 16GB of RAM, and all of those have their drivers up to date and are enabled. I turned off Real-Time Preview, I lowered the preview resolution, I have hardware acceleration enabled, Ive tried render preview, ive tried reformatting my video which I did think id have to do, Its HD video shot from my Nikon D3100. Nothing I have tried has produced smooth playback within the preview mode, its impossible for me to edit with this lag. Any and all help is appreciated thank you!

Preview playback is very dependent on your Video Card. If you have a weak Video card you might get the pauses and choppy playback.

You need a good video card with about 1 GB of onboard RAM, and the latest driver.

Are you sure you wrote the correct number of the Video Card?

I found this one: It has a very low benchmark.
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=GeForce+8800M+GTS&id=1284

A DXdiag.txt file would give the correct information:
Part B
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/29701.page

grapestory [Avatar]
[Post New]
No, I am sure about my video card, 880M, I do believe it is rather high preforming and I am pretty sure it should be more than capable of handling PDR12. I have attached the txt file.
 Filename
64DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
dxdiag
 Filesize
84 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
313 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 16. 2014 18:08

James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
You DXDiag file shows you only have 50GB free on C: drive PD requires 60-100Gb free for caching process' which you don't have. and the C: drive is PD default drive.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
grapestory [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am pulling the video files from my D: drive, not C:. Is it necessary for me to transfer all my files from C: to D: and my video from D: to C: ? Or can I move PDR12 to my D: ?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 16. 2014 19:20

CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I am pulling the video files from my D: drive, not C:. Is it necessary for me to transfer all my files from C: to D: and my video from D: to C: ? Or can I move PDR12 to my D: ?

Hi

Welcome to the forum

Ensure that PD and your source files are installed on your C Drive.

You can Export to other drives. (Preferences>File)

Also ensure that your Preview Window is set to High Preview Resolution (Rectangle in rectangle next to volume under preview window)

Happy editing Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Please attach a 10-12 second sample, directly from the camera-created files. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
grapestory [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok, I will try directing everything to the C: drive, and I have attached a 10-12 second clip
 Filename
DSC_0137.MOV
[Disk]
 Description
Sample clip
 Filesize
29490 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
208 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 16. 2014 21:40

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Nothing wrong with your clip on my system, Plays perfect.

I split a section out, preview is perfect.

No pause, or jumps.

Smooth play.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi grapestory,

I also downloaded / tested your clip (on an older lower spec'd rig), and my results were the exact same as stated by Carl312 above.

I added your clip 10 times. Made numerous Splits and added Transitions. Added a .wav music bed, and added another video clip and re-sized it to play as a smaller window playing on top of your footage in the lower left.
Smooth preview throughout.

I know that doesn't help solve your issue. Just reporting.
Perhaps our more tech oriented member here will chime in with more possible solutions.

______________________________________________________________________________ Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Your Sager system has more than enough power to handle PD.
Does your Task Manager show your CPU being maxed out when you try to do these edits in PD?

(Are you using the Trial version of PD or a 64bit fully registered version? the Trial versions are buggy.)

Try the following one at a time:

1.Try installing the latest PD beta patches to see if that will help. Look at the thread at the top of the page in this forum.

2. Disable your Nvidia 880M in the Device Manager and use only your Intel HD4600 to edit. Do you still get the lag?

Your main mSATA Crucial SSD should be fast enough

I personally prefer to use my single Samsung Evo 1 TB SSD as my main and video edit drive. C: partition on mine is 275GB while D: has the video files for editing and output. (Also make sure your Samsung Magician software is installed and RAPID mode is enabled in the settings.)

Other things to remember of course is to turn OFF indexing, auto formatting etc. since you are using SSDs.

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
grapestory [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am using a fully registered 64 bit PD, and have installed the latest patch as well. I do still get the lag with the Intel 4600, but less lag with my Nvidia enabled. I have moved all the files to me C: drive and the lag to seems to be pretty much gone though I would like to be able to use my D: drive as my video edit drive due to the sheer amount of memory I have on my D: vs my C: drive. I will try checking the Samsung Magician software settings you have suggested, thank you. Essentially my original problem is solved by moving all the files to my C: so thank you everyone for all your help with that! But I would like to be able to use my D: drive and not receive the lag because as you know my C: is already half filled while my D: is just waiting for data.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: I am using a fully registered 64 bit PD, and have installed the latest patch as well. I do still get the lag with the Intel 4600, but less lag with my Nvidia enabled. I have moved all the files to me C: drive and the lag to seems to be pretty much gone though I would like to be able to use my D: drive as my video edit drive due to the sheer amount of memory I have on my D: vs my C: drive. I will try checking the Samsung Magician software settings you have suggested, thank you. Essentially my original problem is solved by moving all the files to my C: so thank you everyone for all your help with that! But I would like to be able to use my D: drive and not receive the lag because as you know my C: is already half filled while my D: is just waiting for data.

If the program is on the C drive, you can edit videos on any drive.

I have Powerdirector installed on C and I edit my videos on D most of the time. However I can and do edit video on other internal drives with no problems.

I also have over 100 GB of free space on my OS (C drive).

I am not using SSD drives. SSD drives are OK if you have enough free space on the OS drive.
Until Cyberlink programs Powerdirector to use other drives for scratch use, we are stuck with keeping 60 to 100 GB of free space on C.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

grapestory [Avatar]
[Post New]
Alright, I will try cleaning up my C drive a bit more and test it again pulling my video from my D now with RAPID enabled. Thank you everybody for your help, this forum proved to be a quite great resource!