Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 13
mbdhd2014
Newbie Location: Argentina Joined: Dec 20, 2013 09:20 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, I wonder if before the departure of powerdirector 13 will see a beta version to try or test. thank you very much Nada
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hello, I wonder if before the departure of powerdirector 13 will see a beta version to try or test. thank you very much

New versions of Powerdirector are released around September or October.

Cyberlink may have some beta testers and reviewers, that will get an advance look.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

CARLOS [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 06, 2014 20:55 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Will there be a Director Suite 3?
powerdirector 13?
Thanks,
-Carlos
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Will there be a Director Suite 3? powerdirector 13?
Thanks,
-Carlos

Very soon.... HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
How do you contact Cyberlink about their beta team? What is the process to apply? Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Gary -

It's not a matter of course that CL conducts a beta-testing program. It used to be the case, but not over the last couple of years (as far as I understand it).

My own view is that a solid beta-testing process would see many issues resolved before release, but that view clearly isn't shared by everyone at CL.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
As a side issue, I wonder what interesting things the new PD will bring to the Directorzone. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
[Post New]
What I hope is, that we get some unifications in how content can get created. E.g. we have magic styles, slideshows and a theme designer. And especially for a slideshow - you can't even set a precise duration, as each template modifies it itself. The result is also not editably anymore. I wish, it would generate regular timeline content along with all the effects. I would simply like to use the suite as a means of a digital signage product :
Mike1972 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 03, 2012 13:14 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
I am not as interested in what new toys they will include in PD13, as to whether they will improve what they already have. For instance, improving their tools for video enhanceing. Right now, video enhanceing consists of just making it brighter with more vivid colors, but not really improving the quality (resolution?) of the video itself.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I am not as interested in what new toys they will include in PD13, as to whether they will improve what they already have. For instance, improving their tools for video enhanceing. Right now, video enhanceing consists of just making it brighter with more vivid colors, but not really improving the quality (resolution?) of the video itself.

Have you heard the expression of "You can not make a silk purse out of a sows ear."

It means that you cannot create something that does not exist. A sows ear is pig skin not silk. Silk comes from Silk worms.

You cannot increase resolution if not present to start with. You can render a video file that is a higher resolution, but you make up pixels (interpolate) where there were none.

Resolution is not actually increased.

The file size is increased.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Mike1972 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, I have heard of that phrase. And yes, I understand what the process would be. I do believe, correct me if I am wrong, that that is precisely what is done with photos. So why not videos?
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
I am not as interested in what new toys they will include in PD13, as to whether they will improve what they already have. For instance, improving their tools for video enhanceing. Right now, video enhanceing consists of just making it brighter with more vivid colors, but not really improving the quality (resolution?) of the video itself.

Yes, I have heard of that phrase. And yes, I understand what the process would be. I do believe, correct me if I am wrong, that that is precisely what is done with photos. So why not videos?

Hi Mike

In the Fix / Enhance tab PD12 does more than just adjust the brightness, there's Video Enhancement - Color Adjustment - White Balance.

You might like to try ColorDirector - which I use quite effectively for colour grading. The trial is free

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/colordirector/features_en_AU.html?&r=1

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 16. 2014 17:51

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Mike1972 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for your input. Yes, I am familiar with the enhancement button/tool in PD. I have PD 10 and have used that feature m any times with my SD video footage. I understand what it does, and how it works. I am simply wishing that a formula or set of instructions could be written up in the programming, that would increase the resolution by "filling in the spaces" within the SD resolution lines; sorta like what can be done in photos.
I know it would be/and is difficult to do, but I am sure it has been done in more expensive programs.
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
'Upscaling' Sd to HD isn't a new idea. I even had a DVD player that connected via HDMI that could upscale and I think that all Bluray players do.

I have placed my SD video that was originally on 8mm digital tape which records at 720x480 @24.4Mbps in a PD 16:9 project. Then output to 720p. The results was as good as the original. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
[Post New]
Well, so the new release is out. It was supposed to be a ground breaking release. I wonder, what is new in a text and its animation departure, as even PowerPoint is better in kind of signage nature here ;

Also I wonder, if photo slideshow got updated and finally we can set a duration or generate decomposed set of images, effects and transitions. If not - what is exactly groundbreaking and new here?

Oh, and btw - My jounery (as can be seen in one video), was probably meant to be - My journey? :
Tesityr
Senior Member Location: Canada, eh Joined: Apr 08, 2014 05:35 Messages: 154 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thank you for your input. Yes, I am familiar with the enhancement button/tool in PD. I have PD 10 and have used that feature m any times with my SD video footage. I understand what it does, and how it works. I am simply wishing that a formula or set of instructions could be written up in the programming, that would increase the resolution by "filling in the spaces" within the SD resolution lines; sorta like what can be done in photos.
I know it would be/and is difficult to do, but I am sure it has been done in more expensive programs.

If I may pop in on this, and share one of the things I have figured out to do for 'upscaling'/'upsizing' video while maintaining 'apparent' quality:

I have older clips that I want to keep (or transfer from older media), and I found early on, with past video editing applications, that just increasing the size/resolution resulted in [what seemed like] a somewhat blurry output, after upscaling. After doing some experimentation, based on the concept that video interpolation is resulting in spatial objective degradation, I sought out a way to combat obvious interpolation (the 'addition' of pixels that did not exist), which eventually led me to the idea of 'creating' pixels - specifically so that the upscaling process didn't result in such degraded output.

My result: addition of pixels by generation of intermediary information - via simple 'static'. That is, the addition of a grain (eg. "Film Grain" effect) can serve to hide the problems that upscaling produces, filling in the 'flat areas' (areas with low motion) and creating a sense of apparent detail, where there would normally be no detail in the video. This increased the enjoyability for 'up-sized' material (especially 'real life' footage) - perhaps it can do the same for you, too.

In PowerDirector 12 (my first purchase of CyberLink's video editing program), the setting you could try is the effect "Fine Noise". I haven't utilized this process in a while, but I believe I used a setting somewhere around the 13-17 range. I think you will find that the addition of a little grain (as long as you don't mind the 'busy-ness' that it creates optically) will assist a lot in giving a feeling of apparent Quality to upscaled material - try it out sometime - this idea of mine goes out to anyone that wishes to 'upscale' their older videos!

Side question of my own:

Does anyone know if it will 'mess up' PDR12 at all, to download and try the PDR13 TRIAL on the same system?
PDR12 is working great right now and I don't want to introduce conflicting libraries, etc
(I can make a new thread for this question, if that is preferred) thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 17. 2014 22:55

Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Side question of my own:

Does anyone know if it will 'mess up' PDR12 at all, to download and try the PDR13 TRIAL on the same system?
PDR12 is working great right now and I don't want to introduce conflicting libraries, etc

Cyberlink trials are never supposed to disturb existing programs.

Now there are sometimes problems installing the full version before the trial has ran out. You should remove the trial before installing the full retail version.

Mike1972 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks to all for your input. I do really appreciate it.

Well, I downloaded PD13 and now I cannot access PD10 on my computer, so something is up to no good.

As far as what I can tell in my one day of using PD13, so far, I am not likely to get it. There doesn't seem to be enough difference in the tools that I use for me to get it. Will explore it more in the next seversl days, before I make my final decision.
Mike1951 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: South Florida Joined: Sep 18, 2014 15:06 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Does pd13 works with Nvidia K 4000 .
New at this
Tesityr
Senior Member Location: Canada, eh Joined: Apr 08, 2014 05:35 Messages: 154 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Side question of my own:

Cyberlink trials are never supposed to disturb existing programs.

Now there are sometimes problems installing the full version before the trial has ran out. You should remove the trial before installing the full retail version.

Thanks for the heads-up, Carl. I have 12 now and if I decide to update to 13, I will definitely remove the Trial version of 13 first then.

Quote: Thanks to all for your input. I do really appreciate it.

Well, I downloaded PD13 and now I cannot access PD10 on my computer, so something is up to no good.

As far as what I can tell in my one day of using PD13, so far, I am not likely to get it. There doesn't seem to be enough difference in the tools that I use for me to get it. Will explore it more in the next seversl days, before I make my final decision.

Uh oh, I hope that problem with 10 doesn't happen to me haha

Come back here and let us know what you think, if you have time, Mike