Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Timeline moves in jumps
[Post New]
I am frustrated by how the timeline moves the a clip is played. I'm using the default settings and I've noticed that the CTI "current time indicator" jumps Instead of moving smoothly across the timeline, like the second hand on a clock that jumps to the next second. Is that normal? Michael
Lr, Ps, PD365, Canon 60D and 70D, Speedlite 430EX II
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Are you referring to the 00:00:00:00 timecode, keep in mind the :00 at the right end is frames, Hr:Mn:Sec:Frames. It's really expected to do that and you couldn't see if it was showing every frame anyhow. The human eye, brain, and visual system, can process about 10 images per second and perceive them as an individual image, that counter is moving at ~30 images (increments) a second for NTSC. Watch the seconds, that should be smooth and you can processes that.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 04. 2014 21:39

[Post New]
Quote: Are you referring to the 00:00:00:00 timecode, keep in mind the :00 at the right end is frames, Hr:Mn:Sec:Frames. It's really expected to do that and you couldn't see if it was showing every frame anyhow. The human eye, brain, and visual system, can process about 10 images per second and perceive them as an individual image, that counter is moving at ~30 images (increments) a second for NTSC. Watch the seconds, that should be smooth and you can processes that.

Jeff
Ok, that makes sense; but it makes the process feel clunky. Again, I'm coming from Adobe's PrE; where the CTI doesn't jump along the timeline but moves smoothing along it.

I hope you don't think I'm complaining, I'm not. PD12 got some "rave reviews" so I thought I'd check it out.

I'm simply comparing editors to see if PD12 might be a better option for me. At this stage I'm just exploring the basics and trying to duplicate some "tricks" I've tried in PrE; to see which editor is more intuitive. I'm also comparing features. I will be studying the PDF manual and probably be asking a lot more questions.

So far I am impressed by the timely support I've received here; it compares well with the great forum support for PrE. Michael
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Ok, that makes sense; but it makes the process feel clunky. Again, I'm coming from Adobe's PrE; where the CTI doesn't jump along the timeline but moves smoothing along it.

I'm not sure I understand what feels clunky, it does not create slow mouse movements, affect timeline movements or anything. You mean visually that fact that the indicator increments about 6 frames is visually unappealing? As I said, you couldn't see it properly if it was counting correctly vs the about 6 frame increment. If you want to see every frame, the period hotkey "." will toggle one frame at a time, or you can advance one frame with the arrows in the preview window.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 05. 2014 19:04

[Post New]
Quote: You mean visually that fact that the indicator increments about 6 frames is visually unappealing?
Jeff
Yes, it gives me the jitters; watching the CTI jump along the timeline, instead of move smoothing and quietly.

As I said, you couldn't see it properly if it was counting correctly vs the about 6 frame increment.

I understand what your saying, you don't see it in the video; but you can see it on the timeline.

If you want to see every frame, the period hotkey "." will toggle one frame at a time, or you can advance one frame with the arrows in the preview window.
Thanks for the "." tip; I didn't know. I usually use the arrow keys. Michael