Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Stacking video clips PD12 vs PrE12
[Post New]
In Adobe's PrE 12 if there are 2 clips on the timeline; one above the other, the one that is will be seen in the editor is the one on top.

I am looking at the same setup in PD12, but the video I'm seeing is the one on the bottom.

I'm having a real hard time with this; I can hardly believe my eyes, so I test it. I moved Video 2 down the track, so there is nothing under to top track, then hit play. Sure enough, the top clip played until the timeline got the bottom clip; at which point the top clip disappeared and the bottom clip displayed.

That seems very counter intuitive; logically you would expect to see the top clip, cover the bottom clip.

Michael
Lr, Ps, PD365, Canon 60D and 70D, Speedlite 430EX II
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, the higher numbered track always lay on top of the lower number tracks.

If you have a video on track 1, and a full screen video on track 2, all you will see is the video in track 2. Be careful of the playback setting of "Clip" or "Movie". Clip only shows clip regardless of track, movie shows assembly of all tracks.

Counterintuitive, matter of opinion I guess. If you lay down a master track, track 1 and then want to add a variety of additional edits of cutouts, overlays, PIP's ....so on, these are in the higher numbered tracks so the lay on top. I really don't know how many I might add at the start of my task so I can simple keep adding, PD supports 99 if you really need them.

Jeff
[Post New]
Thanks for your response Jeff

Quote: Yes, the higher numbered track always lay on top of the lower number tracks.

Am I missing something, based on what you said here I can't figure out why I'm getting this result?
both these images are the same size, yet the image in video 2 shows on the monitor, even though there is a clip over it, in video 1.

If you have a video on track 1, and a full screen video on track 2, all you will see is the video in track 2.

To clarify this issue I switched the clips; and the clip on track 2 still appeared on the monitor when the CTI encounter it.

Be careful of the playback setting of "Clip" or "Movie". Clip only shows clip regardless of track, movie shows assembly of all tracks.

I clicked each of these options and it didn't change what I saw on the monitor

these are in the higher numbered tracks so the lay on top
Ok, so if I have a clip on track 1 and I add a clip to track 2; below it, track 2 will overlay track 1?

That's exactly opposite of what I'm used to. In Adobe's Premiere Elements track 1 is always on top of the higher numbered tracks below it. Just as in Photoshop, where a full screen layer on the top of the layered images covers the ones below it; that's why it seems counter intuitive to me.
Michael
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Am I missing something, based on what you said here I can't figure out why I'm getting this result?
both these images are the same size, yet the image in video 2 shows on the monitor, even though there is a clip over it, in video 1.

The video tracks are numbered, see the number way to the left of your pic on the video track. Video track 2 will always display on top of video track 1 in your finished product, physical its located beneath track 1 on your timeline edit screen. So your pic is correct, the video track 2 is always on top (display wise) video track 1.

Think of the video tracks as a deck of cards, I have cards 3, 2, 1 (video tracks) all stacked up and the 3 is facing me. I can't see cards 2 or 1.
I could cut the 3 card in half (video edit) then I'd see half of card 2 but still not card 1.
I could make the 3 card transparent (video edit) then I'd see all of card 2 but not card 1.
I could cut the 3 card in half (video edit), and cut the top of card 2 off, then I'd see pieces of cards 3, 2, and 1

Jeff
[Post New]
I see where Mike is coming from. Even though track 2 is logically the one on 'top', it's also coming in below track one on the timeline and is counter intuitive to other editors. I also had to rethink my actions when first using PD 12. Not a biggie for me but long term users of other software will have to adjust. Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 Mainboard : Intel i7 2700k @ 3.6ghz: 12 gb DDR3 Kingston ram:
2TB WD Black HD's: Asus GTX970 4gb ram: Windows 10 Pro 64bit:

James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
If the video on track two has a black border and is set to full screen the on track two you have to eliminate the black by chroma keying then track two schematic will allow track one to shine through.
this is my visualization of the post image.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Am I missing something, based on what you said here I can't figure out why I'm getting this result?

The video tracks are numbered, see the number way to the left of your pic on the video track. Video track 2 will always display on top of video track 1 in your finished product, physical its located beneath track 1 on your timeline edit screen. So your pic is correct, the video track 2 is always on top (display wise) video track 1.

Think of the video tracks as a deck of cards, I have cards 3, 2, 1 (video tracks) all stacked up and the 3 is facing me. I can't see cards 2 or 1.
I could cut the 3 card in half (video edit) then I'd see half of card 2 but still not card 1.
I could make the 3 card transparent (video edit) then I'd see all of card 2 but not card 1.
I could cut the 3 card in half (video edit), and cut the top of card 2 off, then I'd see pieces of cards 3, 2, and 1

Jeff
Well done Jeff. It's very clear to me now.

Premiere Elements arranges video tracks exactly opposite; with track 1 on top. It's what I expected so it confused me. Michael