Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
"Frame Rate Error"
Timvids [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 09, 2011 15:59 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
The below is cut/pasted from another thread. The moderator claims at the bottom that I was "hijacking" the thread, even tho my question was squarely on topic, and then no answer was given, an obnoxious way to handle the post Mr. Bevan.

So I'm both inserting the same title, and pasting the same question, verbatim. I ask kindly that no one "hijack" my thread and post any related answers that might actually be helpful, thanks. Or, please DO post answers that might help me, to make this a more user-friendly experience for someone who's been paying for PowerDirector for years and needs assistance using it, since the online tutorials are woefully inadequate.

As a side note, the thread shows up in search engine quires, so keeping the threads active and unlocked will only serve to actually HELP users of the product that are searching for answers, that may or may not be available in this forum.

[Post New]02/05/2014 01:13:07 Subject: Re:frame rate error [Up]
Dafydd Bevan - SoftDeko

Senior Contributor
[Avatar]

Timvids wrote:Guys at cyberlink, this is an error you must fix. It is a waste of time for people who are just trying to use the software to deal with, having spent an hour on this as is.

I too am receiving the prompt, after install of my latest upgrade ordered last December. If we are going to get a prompt telling us that the 23.976 does not match the 29.97 then a a push-button option should be given immediately to enable the user to have the software adjust the issue. When following the prompt instructions, it left me nowhere, since the options given are not exact (I can't set any field under settings to "23.976") and a newbie is not going to understand what the best option is to ensure highest quality output during the editing and production phase.

I still do not understand what to do, but based on this thread, I will be ignoring the prompt. My current timeline frame rate setting is at 30 FPS, which I will have to ASSUME is sufficient (please someone let me know) BUT, *it was already set to this when I went in to attempt to change it to the exact setting the prompt was suggesting*. So if it was already set to this, and it's the best option, WHY am I being prompted?

I would appreciate someone chiming in and letting me know I'm good. If so, I will turn the prompt off. But please take note that the vast majority of users are not techies...we use the software and get great results, but these kinds of pop-ups do nothing but frustrate us when there is nothing we can do about it anyway, *especially when the instructions given do not correlate to the options provided when the instructions are executed*. THAT is extremely annoying, and is a waste of user's time.

I also choose WMV 9 Full HD 1920x1080/30p as my output. I want the highest quality possible from my Canon Powershot SX50HS, if this is not optimal, please let me know. The finished product looked fine, but I want the best output, so if another is better I'm all ears.

Thanks.

Hi Timvids,
Rather than hijack another member's thread with your enquiry, please re-post as a new topic and reference the contents made previously by members. You have raise a number of interesting issues and I'm sure members will assist you when you've posted again. Please reference the guide here: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/29698.page
Thread closed.
Forum Moderator
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]

I guess most editors have their quirks, PD has a few…..

Some quirks go away over the years, but then new arise. The “frame rate conflict” I just ignore.
( I can even insert a 30fps clip in timeline and be prompt, so…..ignore.)
29.97 > I just go for 30. But I mostly produce for the web, shorter videos and mostly .mp4.
For those who produce for large TV monitors or broadcast it will matter more, I suppose.
There may be a few others in here who have really noticed differences in the outputs
and struggled to get PD satisfied. I haven’t.
There is a constant discussion going on about “the best/highest possible quality output”.
“ynotfish” (Tony) , a senior contributor on this forum, has made many samples of different
outputs. Some can be watched here: http://www.youtube.com/user/ynotfish77/videos

Nina
Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Timvids and Nina -

Firstly, regarding your "hijacking" concerns, the definition of this is widely interpreted & sometimes applied incorrectly. If you look at it as "shifting attention from the original post/question", it makes it easier to accept. I've seen threads in this forum shift from discussing technical issues to weather (!) which certainly wouldn't have helped the original poster.

Some useful references:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=thread%20hijacking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etiquette_in_technology
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Forum_etiquette

-------

To your frame rate (and what PD does with it) question:

To maintain optimum quality, it's best to produce as closely to the original format & profile as possible.

I downloaded this sample file from the SX50 HS - https://vimeo.com/55297965 - MediaInfo report attached.

First things I noticed:
1. With frame rate preferences set to 24fps (film), & frame rate conflict confirmation checked, PD did not throw up an alert.
2. PD could not apply a profile using SVRT. I assume because of the VBR (33.5MBps)

So - a custom profile would need to be created to match the original. I selected MPEG-4 1920x1080/24p (16MBps), then clicked the + button to set the VBR at 33.5MBps. PD did a good job of rendering.

Selecting WMV 1920x1080 (either 30p or 24p) will not replicate the quality of your original clips, even though it may be perfectly satisfactory. For a start, WMV is highly compressed & you'd be cutting the VBR by about 66%. The advantages of WMV are lower file size and better streaming. The choice you make depends on your purpose.

Cheers - Tony

P.S. Thank you, Nina, for your kind words
 Filename
Canon Powershot SX50HS.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
252 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Timvids,
The reply I gave wasn't obnoxious and locking the thread was to prevent a continuances. I'm sure after you've read the links provided by yontfish you will understand.
Forum Moderator
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I'm sure after you've read the links provided by yontfish you will understand.

Please Moderator -

It's ynotfish - pronounced "Why Not Fish", just as it's "Tony", not "Fony".

If misspelling your name is a no no, misspelling mine is too.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 04. 2014 18:35

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: I'm sure after you've read the links provided by yontfish you will understand.

Please Moderator -

It's ynotfish - pronounced "Why Not Fish", just as it's "Tony", not "Fony".

If misspelling your name is a no no, misspelling mine is too.

Cheers - Tony

Tony, I apologize for the typo, not intentional. I do have "fat fingers" on occasions. There is never any intention to cause you any discomfort or insult. I usually copy and paste names for the very reason you've mentioned - this time I didn't. Misspelling names is a no no.
Dafydd
Edit - I just selected the wrong bit again - "edit" rather than "quote" - darn clumsy this morning.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 05. 2014 04:38

Timvids [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 09, 2011 15:59 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks everyone for your responses.

And I wasn't intending to attack you (moderator) directly...to the other poster, I absolutely do understand the definition of hijacking, hence my copy/paste of the post.

Although not "obnoxious," it was very inconvenient. My main points were only two: That I was staying on topic to the OP, and that it's good to keep the threads open regardless because I actually found it via an internet search (Yahoo). In locking it, it will surely at some point drop from the engine and that will only serve to hurt others who are looking for the fix via a search.

Anyway, very good forum, thanks everyone for the answers.