Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Keyframing a crop
[Post New]
I am trying to keyframe a crop. I have added the crop; using freeform. I then hit F2 and add a keyframe to Freeform. Then I grabbed the top middle handle and dragged it down; but the sides came in at the same time. I can't get this freeform keyframe to allow for just to top of the crop to come down; leaving the side where they are. Michael
Lr, Ps, PD365, Canon 60D and 70D, Speedlite 430EX II
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I can't get this freeform keyframe to allow for just to top of the crop to come down; leaving the side where they are.

Have you tried removing the checkmark from the Maintain Aspect Ratio option in PIP Designer?

These two tutorials may also help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzISpa8WTIE
(02:12 to 02:26)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXS_I3Pn72s

[Thumb - MAR-2.png]
 Filename
MAR-2.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
36 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
555 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at May 01. 2014 03:53

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: I can't get this freeform keyframe to allow for just to top of the crop to come down; leaving the side where they are.

Have you tried removing the checkmark from the Maintain Aspect Ratio option in PIP Designer?

Thanks for your reply. I've watched, and subscribed, to the YouTube clips and they were very helpful but they didn't quite address what I'm trying to do.

I think I was using the wrong terminology; when I said "freeform" I meant I didn't want the crop to be constrained. Unclicking the Aspect Ratio did address that issue; now I know where it is

Now the problem is that I want to keyframe the crop so that it starts at one point and gradually sized down to minimum; so the clip under the cropped clip is brought into view. The top clip has a red line in it and I'm trying to make the red line appear to be moving down the screen.

So now what is happening is when I grab the center handle at the top and drag it down the image gets squashed. I think that's a freeform effect; and I want a crop effect, I don't want to distort the image.

Michael
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Michael -

I shouldn't really chime in because when you have Cranston on your case you're in the best hands in the business!

BUT

Can I ask, are you working in Power Tools > Video Crop or PiP Designer? It sounds like the latter, but I just wanted to confirm.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 01. 2014 13:07

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Michael -

I shouldn't really chime in because when you have Cranston on your case you're in the best hands in the business!
I'm sure he doesn't mind; I certainly don't

are you working in Power Tools > Video Crop or PiP Designer? It sounds like the latter, but I just wanted to confirm.

I'm not in PiP; but I'm guessing I'm not in Video Crop either, or I wouldn't be getting the freeform feature results.

I'm simply trying to animate the crop in the video on track one. I want it to start uncroped; then I want the crop to get smaller and smaller as the timeline moves to the end of the clip.

What is happening now is that the keyframe is working but the image gets crushed and the crop size changes. I realize that's a "freeform" feature and I just want to adjust the size of the crop.

I selected "clip", then hit F2 and unchecked the aspect ratio option. Where do I go from here; the change the size of the crop? Michael
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Mike -

From your description, it's hard to understand exactly what effect you're after.

Do any of these resemble your idea? http://youtu.be/uNcb7GSifT0

Cheers - Tony
[Post New]
Quote:
Do any of these resemble your idea? http://youtu.be/uNcb7GSifT0

Cheers - Tony
Hi Tony, thanks for trying to sort this out for me. I think the 2nd one fits the best.

Let me try to explain what I'm trying to do.

I want to create a moving line that moves north; from point B to point A;

I have two clip that are exact copies on one another.

I put one on video 1 and the other on video 2

I have added a red line to the clip on video 2, that starts at Point B; in the middle of the clip, and ends at point A; at the top of the clip.

I have cropped clip 2 from point A to point B; blocking out the top half of the clip; the part with the red line. What you are actually seeing at this point is the bottom half of clip 2 and the top half of clip 1. But because they are exact copies it look like a single image.

Now, if I drag the crop in clip 2 up; from point B to point A, more of image 2 is revealed and it appears as though the red line is moving.

At this point I have managed to create the crop, but I can't unrestrain it. When I drag the middle handle, at point B, and drag it up the sides come in. Where is the option the frees the constraints, so when I move the bottom of the crop only the bottom moves?
[Thumb - Animation.jpg]
 Filename
Animation.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Animation
 Filesize
362 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
185 time(s)
Michael
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Michael -

I think I may have been put off the scent by the terminology you've been using. I don't think your question has much to do with cropping, but I could still easily be wrong.

Is all you want to do animate the red line? A bit like the attached example?

Cheers - Tony

Filename
Red Line.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
530 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
427 time(s)

ynotfish
[Post New]
Michael -

Here's a fairly elegant and simple solution (I think) given that you've already gone to the trouble of duplicating/modifying your clip. Hope it makes sense to you.

The attached WMV shows how it might look in practice.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
RedLineII.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
769 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
430 time(s)
[Thumb - RedLine Transition.png]
 Filename
RedLine Transition.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
198 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
458 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 04. 2014 06:49

[Post New]
Quote: Hi Michael -

I think I may have been put off the scent by the terminology you've been using. I don't think your question has much to do with cropping, but I could still easily be wrong.

Is all you want to do animate the red line? A bit like the attached example?

Cheers - Tony

Yes, that's exactly what I'm trying to do. I expect using the term "freeform" was what threw you off. I Photoshop freeform offers many options but what is doesn't do is constrain things; you can' move a top or side without affecting the others. Michael
[Post New]
Ok, this is a very different approach to the one I am using; in which you cut the clip and separating them, then use a "wipe" transition.

Since I'm new to PD12 I will need to experiment with the method; which actually appear simpler than the method I'm using in Premiere Elements.

But I still need to learn how I can crop a clip then drag to top down; without affecting the sides and bottom of the clip; without it getting smaller. Michael
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Michael -

See if this screen capture helps. It shows how to reshape only one dimension at a time.

It may not be clear enough in this format. Just say.

Importantly, after you've unchecked "Maintain Aspect Ratio" use only the central handles to resize.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Reshape PiP.png]
 Filename
Reshape PiP.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
55 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
465 time(s)
 Filename
RedLine PiP.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2498 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
404 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 04. 2014 18:42

[Post New]
Thanks for hanging in there with me on the question Tony
Quote:
See if this screen capture helps. It shows how to reshape only one dimension at a time.

That's a great clip! I will have to study it more carefully, which I will do after posting this. But let me ask you another question; how did you record that? If I could do that I could record the steps I'm having trouble with; and send it to you.

It may not be clear enough in this format. Just say.

I get to the part where I un-check the aspect ratio. It is at this point; where I try to drag the top of the crop down, using keyframes to set the wipe, that it appears that the aspect radio is still checked!

Importantly, after you've unchecked "Maintain Aspect Ratio" use only the central handles to resize.
Yes, that's what I'm grabbing.

I will return to the editor and see if I can make it happen again.

Part of the problem it that I am so disoriented; because I'm used to Adobe's Premiere Elements UI! I may be missing something that is very obvious but just can't see it. Michael
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Michael -

Don't worry Mike. If I was in the process of learning new software, I'd be disoriented too.

The screen capture in the WMV was done using Camtasia Studio, but there is plenty of free capture software available. The order of these links is no indicator of quality or recommendations:

http://www.bandicam.com/
http://camstudio.org/ (not related to Camtasia Studio)
http://screenrecordings.com/
http://www.hyperionics.com/hc/
http://ohsoft.net/product_ocam.php
http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html

You're right - screen captures & screen shots are very effective ways of describing a problem (or a solution).

One thing I've found with PiP Designer (and you may have too) is that when you shrink an object & the handles get too close together, they become uncooperative and sometimes unresponsive. Makes it tricky to get a thin red line from a colour board! Much easier to begin with a thin red line and modify it (example attached)

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - RedLine.png]
 Filename
RedLine.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
946 bytes
 Downloaded:
166 time(s)

[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Quote:
The screen capture in the WMV was done using Camtasia Studio, but there is plenty of free capture software available. The order of these links is no indicator of quality or recommendations:
Thanks for the links; I will check them out and try to decide on one.

I learned something here recently; about the video stack. In Premiere Elements video 1 is on top, in PD video 1 is on the bottom. Now that I have sorted out maybe I'll have better luck setting of my effects. Michael
ynotfish
[Post New]
Michael -

It sounds like you're getting on top of it!

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - TrackStack.png]
 Filename
TrackStack.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
102 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
341 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 06. 2014 16:48

[Post New]
Quote: Michael -

It sounds like you're getting on top of it!

Cheers - Tony
Indeed; it's all upside down!

I just purchased Steve Grisettti's new book:

The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 12 Ultimate: The fun, easy, powerful way to make great-looking movies on your personal computer.

Maybe that will help get me up and running.

btw, I clicked the link in your sig and bookmarked the page with all the tutorials. Thanks for putting that there; very helpful! Michael