Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Playing multiple region blu-ray discs on the same PC
Maegoss [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 25, 2014 06:54 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I am a European person who is currently living in China. I like to watch Blu-ray movies on my PC so several months ago I bought an internal Blu-ray drive and a copy of PowerDVD 13 Ultra. I buy most of the Blu-ray movies in China where the Blu-ray discs are region free or belong to region C, but I also buy some Blu-rays movies in Europe when I go back to visit my family. The Blu-ray discs from Europe are usually region B.

The question is how can I play both region B and region C Blu-ray discs on my PC?

I know that the DVD region is set in the firmware of the DVD drive, so I assumed the same is true in case of Blu-ray discs so I decided to order another internal Blu-ray drive. Luckily I researched the topic on the internet and it turned out that in case of Blu-ray, the region is only controlled by the player software (eg. PowerDVD), not by the Blu-ray drive. So I cancelled my order of the second Blu-ray drive and now I am trying to find a solution to my problem. So far I found two:
1. If I buy another Blu-ray player software (eg. WinDVD or Total Media Theatre) then I can set a different region in the other Blu-ray player software. The problem of this solution is that I prefer PowerDVD to the other Blu-ray player software and If I choose this way also I have to buy/manage/upgrade two Blu-ray player software which is quite costly.
2. I can buy AnyDVD HD that removes the region locking and security measures from the Blu-ray discs. This is also problematic because first of all it is a kind of illegal (as far as I know removing security measure from a Blu-ray disc is not legal) and the price is almost the same as another Blu-ray player software.

I searched the Cyberlink forums and I may have found a third solution to my problem. According to the thread below, if I upgrade my PowerDVD 13 Ultra to 14 Ultra (50 USD) then the PowerDVD 13 license will be still valid, so theoretically I can run both PowerDVD 13 and 14 at the same time:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/38291.page

If this is true, maybe I can set a different region code for PowerDVD 13 and 14, thus I can play both region B and C Blu-ray discs on my computer. Do you think this solution could work? If not, do you have any other solution for my problem?

Thank you very much for your answer!

Br,
Maegoss
[Post New]
Bluray regions are set per player not drive so If you have pdvd 12 13 and 14. You can set each region individually so basically play anything. Just need 3 bluray players doesn't have to even be cyberlink