Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Pulling video sequence frames in Quicktime format (.MOV) into movie
acg [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 04, 2011 20:47 Messages: 275 Offline
[Post New]
Scanned 8mm movie, 1:1 frames, expoerted out as .MOV file.

When .MOV file is put into PowerDirector there is a space between each frame and the video is erratic in timining because of it - I think. Somehow we need to have a codec or something that can pull these frames together into a movie. Boy amd I learning the hard way!!

Thanks,

Alan
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Scanned 8mm movie, 1:1 frames, expoerted out as .MOV file.

When .MOV file is put into PowerDirector there is a space between each frame and the video is erratic in timining because of it - I think. Somehow we need to have a codec or something that can pull these frames together into a movie. Boy amd I learning the hard way!!

Thanks,

Alan

Are you talking about the Black bars on the sides of 4:3 image in a 16:9 frame?

If there are spaces between frames. The capture software put them there.

If your capture software does not make a smooth MOV movie from your 8mm capture, you have to go back to the Number Sequence images.

You are limited to 2500 images per project. But you can set the duration of each image to fit the normal frame rate of your 8mm film.

I have no idea what features your software offers.

What is said in the Retro-8 FAQ is not much.

What types of files can I export from those RetroScan-HD capture files?
The RetroScan-HD software can export in PAL or NTSC as standard definition or high definition. High definition files can be native 720p or the RetroScan-HD software will upscale smoothly to 1080p. These files can be .MOV movies or they can be numbered image sequences as JPEG, PNG, BMP or TIF. All HD files are 16:9 aspect ratio with black pillar bars on the left and right sides of the screen. The only exception to this is Super-16, which has mild letter boxing at the top and bottom of the screen in a 16:9 frame.

My question:
Do you have the actual film scanner and software?

If so attach a short sample of the .MOV file (5 to 10 seconds).
Give the users in this forum a chance to experiment with the file.

[Thumb - Aspect Ratio.png]
 Filename
Aspect Ratio.png
[Disk]
 Description
Various Aspect Ratio as seen on screen
 Filesize
39 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
75 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 17. 2014 18:59

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

acg [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 04, 2011 20:47 Messages: 275 Offline
[Post New]
I am learning.

I scanned and put the files on my cloud drive and tried to work with them from that drive. I finally figured out that at 1080P resolution that would not work. So I moved the file to the SSD drive and worked perfectly. Speed was the factor.

Alan

The Retro-8 seems to be a great tool.

Alan
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I am learning.

I scanned and put the files on my cloud drive and tried to work with them from that drive. I finally figured out that at 1080P resolution that would not work. So I moved the file to the SSD drive and worked perfectly. Speed was the factor.

Alan

The Retro-8 seems to be a great tool.

Alan

Cloud drives are good for storage. Not good for actual editing. Always edit from internal hard drives.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.