Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Orange / yellow line on side of PiP objects
[Post New]
I don't know if anyone is still running into this same issue, but in certain instances, a PiP object I've created also has an orange or yellow bar on the right side. I was asked by a forum moderator to make a new thread for this, so here it is.

I just recently made a new computer (i.e., bought parts and assembled them myself) and installed an OEM version of Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1. After installing PowerDirector 12 Ultra on the new machine, installing drivers for my new GPU (EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti), and then installing the lastest PDR patch (build 2726), I went back to projects that previously had worked on my old system without the yellow / orange line. On the new PDR installation, those are appearing. It might be of note that the old system's version of PDR12 didn't have the newest patch, and the graphics card for that system was a bit older (XFX ATI Radeon HD 5870).

Per recommendation, I have uninstalled 3D Vision and 3D Vision Controller items from Control Panel. The problem remains. The following are my observations and appear to show a pattern that may be regularly duplicable. For me, at least, this always seems to replicate the issue.

Required clip conditions: It seems like all three of the following conditions must be met, at least for my part, for this yellow/orange line issue to happen.

• You have a clip you're using as a PiP.

• The PiP is sized to (roughly) 60% or smaller of the total production window.

• The PiP is a chroma key applied to it.

• If I have a PiP that is smaller than 60% of the full window size but has no chroma key applied, I don't see the orange or yellow line. If I have a PiP that does have a chroma key applied and it's at least 65%+ of the total production window, I don't see the line, either. Maybe this can help narrow things down so a patch can be released to fix this.

PiP Editor window exception: If I'm in the PiP editor, the clip does not have the line initially. However, if I resize the clip in the PiP editor, the line then appears. And the line is brought into the final production, so the .mp4 file I'm creating has the same line I saw in the main (general) editor.

Here's hoping someone can find a solution and/or Cyberlink can get another patch to remove this colored line issue.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 15. 2014 21:55

Xexor Weglin
    http://www.youtube.com/user/xexorweglin
    1Nina
    Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
    [Post New]
    Xexor;

I could say “welcome to the club”…..of 700xxx cards (and the dreaded yellow line).
    I kept working on it for weeks, with suggestions of various solutions from members in here.
    In the end, optodata’s suggestion of uninstalling 3D Vision and 3D Vision Controller did the trick
    on my system – for the yellow line.
    However, I still have serious problems with significant delays in various parts of PD12, but
    especially in the Modify (PiP) window. These issues actually prevents me from editing.
    CL (R&D) has given notice that they are working on the problems with the 700xxx cards, but
    it is taking quite a while now + a couple of patches without solution(s) to this matter(s).
    If you are interested, here’s how things are “working” on my system:

http://www.youtube.com/user/petitpoisvideobits?feature=watch

A couple of older editors and other programs have no problem at all working as
    they should on this laptop, so it is a PD12 issue.
    For the time being, all I can do is wait.
    A pity, really.

Nina

Just something.
    https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
    optodata
    Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
    [Post New]
    Xexor - I was able replicate the results once using the Nature.wmv clip that's included when you choose Settings (Gear icon). Preferences, Project, Automatically load sample clips when PD opens.

With that said, the line DOES NOT appear if you use the included NewBlue Picture-In-Picture OR the NewBlue Chroma Key effects from the FX room, so a quick work-around would be to disable the easiest effect to change from the PiP window and use the NBFX version instead.

For example, if it was easier to setup the PiP size than to get the Chroma Key just right, then keep the CK enabled and make the clip full size in the PiP designer. Then drag the NBPiP effect onto your PiP clip and use the controls to get the size and look (including drop shadow. etc) right, and you're set If the chroma key is easy to set, then keep the PiP size in the PiP designer and uncheck the CK box, hit Save and drag the NBCK FX onto the PiP clip and set the Chroma key.

Obviously we'd want to glitch to be resolved, especially since it was recently introduced. I have the most recent Beta patch (2816) and the yellow/orange line appeared on my setup, so the issue is still present.

I will look at a couple of other settings to see if I can get rid of the problem.

In the mean time, it would help if you could pick a smallish project that you're having the problem with, then use the File, Pack Project Materials function and attach that as a zip file so others can test it on their systems.

UPDATE: I can't find a way to reliably replicate the yellow/orange line. I saw it once but didn't save the settings and I have tried making various size and chroma key settings dozens of times and can't get it back. It seems like the line is related to the chroma keyed palette of the PiP clip, because I CAN get an unwanted border on the left and right edges with a PiP window in the size range that you called out.

The left edge seems to be a column just 1 pixel wide that actually belongs along the right-most edge of the PiP clip; and the right edge contains a similar 1-pixel-wide column from the left-most edge of the clip. See the attached file for a clearer explanation.

Do you have yellow or orange in your chroma-keyed clips? Are they along the opposite edge of the clip?

I was using the Nature.wmv clips and they're all green and blue but I did see the yellow line once, so maybe that the bright color simply shows the clip frame more obviously if the pixel data gets messed up for those out-of-place columns that I've described
    [Thumb - silver ck shows blue and white lines mark-up.png]
     Filename
    silver ck shows blue and white lines mark-up.png
    [Disk]
     Description
    unwanted PiP border with normal colors
     Filesize
    1044 Kbytes
     Downloaded:
    262 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 17. 2014 22:53

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
    [Post New]
    I thought I already posted a reply, but I don't see it here. I have included materials for the project backed for your use, in 7-zip format (which anyone can download and use for free). Thank you for any help you can give me.

Also, although I have several New Blue options under my fx tab, I do not have the NBCK or the NBPiP effects there (I looked for both abbreviated and spelled-out versions). Is this only included in the Video Essentials I package? I'd rather not spend another $70 for an effects pack beyond what the PDR12 software cost, just to get a workaround for an error that wasn't previously happening.

I have tried multiple times to attach a file, but for some reason it's always timing out on this forum, so I can't send that here. If you have a Dropbox you wanna share or something, I can send the file that way. Xexor Weglin
    Carl312
    Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
    [Post New]
    Quote: I have tried multiple times to attach a file, but for some reason it's always timing out on this forum, so I can't send that here. If you have a Dropbox you wanna share or something, I can send the file that way.

Too large of a file takes forever to upload to the forum.

You get stuck with no feedback as to what is happening.

There are several free file upload sites, Search Google should find some.

12 Megabytes is close to the maximum to upload to the forum. I have seen larger posted.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

optodata
    Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
    [Post New]
    Xexor, I can share a OneDrive folder with you and the forum. You can click here and then browse for (or drag and drop) your packed project file.

BTW, the NewBlue FX displayed names are NewBlue Chroma Key and NewBlue Picture-in-Picture. They are included in the Visual Essentials II package, which comes free with PD12 Ultimate and above. PD12 Deluxe and Ultra do not include those FX. There is a significant discount for purchasing 3 packs at a time and NB puts them on a deeply-discounted sale in August, but I agree that you shouldn't have to pay for those to solve this problem. It was more of an option if you already them.

I'm going to be out of town recording for the next 4 days and I probably won't be able to assist you until next Tuesday. I'm sure that other members will be willing to open up your project and try to figure out what's going on. Good luck

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

[Post New]
    Sorry it's taken so long to reply. First, my zip file ended up being too big, and then I kept forgetting to cut it and compress it. Now I can't sign in to OneDrive because my normal e-mail isn't a Microsoft account. If I send you a PM, can you share to that e-mail address instead?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 01. 2014 12:48

Xexor Weglin
    optodata
    [Post New]
    Sure!

YouTube/optodata

[Post New]
    OK, that's been put on OneDrive now. Thanks for providing that. I'll keep trying to find workarounds as I go until I'm told that's been fixed. Xexor Weglin
    optodata
    [Post New]
    Xexor - I just downloaded and opened your project, and I want to make sure that I know what to look for. There doesn't seem to be any motion in the track 1 clip, called "DeadSpace2 Part38 Game," although the game's audio is playing. Should that clip be animated/active? Your PiP track shows you clearly moving and talking, but there's no audio for that track.

In the preview window, I expanded it to 400% and attached a screenshot. Is that the yellow/orange line you're referring to along the right edge of the PiP border? I changed the border colors to red and blue, and the line color changed with the border (see 2nd screenshot). Is that what happens for you, too?

If so, it's simply an artifact of how the border is drawn, and you can control that with the border size, blur and transparency controls in the PiP Designer.

I should note that I'm using the brand-new 2824 beta patch that was released earlier today. Download and apply that and see if it makes any difference on your setup.

EDIT: Here is the link to Xexor's packed project file if anyone else wants to check. It's 1.81GB.
    [Thumb - Xexor PiP.png]
     Filename
    Xexor PiP.png
    [Disk]
     Description
    original border color with Y/O line
     Filesize
    153 Kbytes
     Downloaded:
    280 time(s)
    [Thumb - Xexor PiP modified.png]
     Filename
    Xexor PiP modified.png
    [Disk]
     Description
    changed border color
     Filesize
    153 Kbytes
     Downloaded:
    260 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 02. 2014 17:31

YouTube/optodata

[Post New]
    No; the yellow line isn't showing up for you, based on those screenshots. Here's a screengrab of what I see in my PDR12 right now (though I haven't installed the patch yet). Notice how the PiP on the right preview (and in the finally produced video file) there is a yellow line inside the PiP border on the right, about 5 or 10 pixels wide. I can't speak to the lack of volume or motion: these all work just fine for me. Maybe somehow in the zipping of the files they got messed up? I could try to upload them individually to OneDrive if need be.
    [Thumb - Orange-in-PiP.png]
     Filename
    Orange-in-PiP.png
    [Disk]
     Description
     Filesize
    618 Kbytes
     Downloaded:
    257 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 02. 2014 17:43

Xexor Weglin
    optodata
    [Post New]
    Yeah, I definitely don't see anything like that bold yellow line. Does it change color at all if you change the border color in the PiP designer?

As for the motion in track 1, you have continuous thumbnails enabled in your screenshot and all the thumbs look identical. That's what I see when I play the video - just that single scene.

The PiP video track that I downloaded has no audio track at all, so there's nothing to play other than the video portion. I don't know if that's worth re-uploading. I wouldn't think that would have any bearing on the PiP line.

YouTube/optodata

RobAC [Avatar]
    Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
    [Post New]
    The following procedure fixed my Yellow / Pink line on the side of my resized video clips.

This error recently happened to me: using a video resized smaller on top of black background or else on top of another moving background. The yellow and pink line showed on the sides of the resized picture in picture clips.

Try this:
    1. Select the offending clip and click on the Fix / Enhance Tab
    2.Select the "Color Adjustment" do not change anything else

Now play. What happens?

(They also showed up along the side of resized smaller still pictures, but after producing they disappeared in the final Produce file.)

Rob
    [Thumb - Yellow Pink Lines.png]
     Filename
    Yellow Pink Lines.png
    [Disk]
     Description
     Filesize
    444 Kbytes
     Downloaded:
    708 time(s)
    [Thumb - Fix-Enhance Tab 2.PNG]
     Filename
    Fix-Enhance Tab 2.PNG
    [Disk]
     Description
     Filesize
    26 Kbytes
     Downloaded:
    665 time(s)
    [Thumb - Color Adjustment select 2.PNG]
     Filename
    Color Adjustment select 2.PNG
    [Disk]
     Description
     Filesize
    77 Kbytes
     Downloaded:
    719 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 04. 2014 10:07

PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
    1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
    2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
    [Post New]
    Yes, I can confirm that this worked for me. So there is at least one possible workaround in the mean time. (I'll try it when I find other cases to see if this helps 100% of the time, or if it just works often.)

FYI, after installing the beta patch, I (so far) haven't noticed the problem very much on other PiPs I've tried (although I've only tried a couple so far), with one exception being that when I was at 75% of full picture size I saw the line, about 2 pixels in width. Otherwise, though, I've not seen it.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 04. 2014 11:24

Xexor Weglin
    1Nina
    Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
    [Post New]

optodata;

so……you’ve got the line occurring now??

Is this while using your built in card?
    Did you use an overlayed video before this,- as I did “back in the days” ?
    You say it disappeared in the produced file. Have you tried producing more than 1 file?
    I had produced files with yellow line - and without. Randomly, it seemed.

Just something.
    optodata
    [Post New]
    Quote: optodata;

so……you’ve got the line occurring now??

Is this while using your built in card?
    Did you use an overlayed video before this,- as I did “back in the days” ?
    You say it disappeared in the produced file. Have you tried producing more than 1 file?
    I had produced files with yellow line - and without. Randomly, it seemed.

1Nina - I'm afraid you misunderstood something I said. No, I only saw the yellow line once when trying many times to create a PiP like Xexor, but could never get it to reappear. I also could not duplicate the issue when opening Xexor's actual project. The thin line I saw was a normal part of the colored border. I did not produce his project.

The good news is that it looks like RobAC has the solution/work around:
    Quote: Try this:
    1. Select the offending clip and click on the Fix / Enhance Tab
    2.Select the "Color Adjustment" do not change anything else

I don't remember - have you had the yellow line (re)appear after you uninstalled the nVidia 3D Controller? If so, can you try RobAC's suggested solution?

YouTube/optodata

1Nina
    [Post New]

Because of the extreme lagging and delays (on my system) not yet are given any solution (and I have
    still not heard back from CL after my last ticket of enquiry on the matter),
    I find it almost impossible to do any editing.
    But, the yellow – and sometimes pink – line has not reappeared.

Just something.
    RobAC [Avatar]
    Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
    [Post New]
    Quote: Yes, I can confirm that this worked for me. So there is at least one possible workaround in the mean time.. (I'll try it when I find other cases to see if this helps 100% of the time, or if it just works often.)

Good. Glad the above workaround helped.

FYI, after installing the beta patch, I (so far) haven't noticed the problem very much on other PiPs I've tried (although I've only tried a couple so far), with one exception being that when I was at 75% of full picture size I saw the line, about 2 pixels in width. Otherwise, though, I've not seen it.

I have done some extensive testing when this issue happened for me. It occurred when I tried re-editing an older PD 11 project that played perfectly and has never had this yellow / pink line problem. After that I was able to consistently reproduce the error with newer projects and other types of files in PD 12.

At first I thought it was the .avi files I was using, but then other different .m2ts and mp4 smaller resized files started showing the same problems. I am currently use an Intel Iris Pro 5200 GPU exclusively, but was also able to reproduce this using an Nvidia graphics card in one of my other systems as well as with the older Intel HD4000 GPU in a third system setup.

(FYI - Currently using the latest beta patch 2824 and I have consistently reproduce the yellow / pink line error with the official and other beta patches so far.)

So this issue it is not specific to a certain graphics cards and is definitely a fault within the PD software.

Rob PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
    1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
    2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be