Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
VIDEO CLIP HAS HORIZONTAL LINES AFTER PRODUCED
[Post New]
Hello Forum,

Is there an optimal way to set up my video camera settings and set up what format I produce my video in to eliminate the horizontal lines? I'm using green screen and the horizontal lines are preventing me from getting a clean edge for the key in, and I just don't want horizontal lines. Please advise. Thanks so much.

With respect,

Nitai

PS.

I found a previous thread sort of on this subject, but it was for burning to DVD and I didn't really find a clear solution on what formats to use in camera and for production. Anyone with fresh or more clear info?

Jimbo223 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 25, 2012 02:59 Messages: 95 Offline
[Post New]
Horizontal lines can be something to do with NTSC versus PAL.
What sort of footage are you working in? (Frame/width height and frame rate).

It could also be a glitch in the final production.
What settings are you using to export the video? (MPEG2/H264)

A short clip showing what you're seeing might help too.
[Post New]
Hello Jimbo,

Thank you for the reply! I am working with NTSC.
To export the production I use MPEG2.

I am new with my Canon camera, it's my first digital camera, so I'm not sure about the questions you asked, but I could find out if I was guided in the right direction.

Is there an optimal setting for the camera and an optimal production export setting to use? I'd be happy to know this.

Thanks for your time.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry, horizontal lines doesn't really tell us much. Can you post a screen shot showing the lines? .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
[Post New]
Thank you so much, I will do that if the problem persists, you see....

I've been researching what are the best production output formats for whatever format being used on the camera, I'm new to this, so I'll do a little more research and see what it yields. From what I've read the camera setting or whatever you call it has to match the output production settings (ie 720 x ____ ) or whatever, so I guess I have to figure out how to do that.

The lines are very faint, you can't really see them too much, just the hint of distortion of horizontal lines after editing my clip in Color Director (the horizontal lines distort edges, and are even more visible in movement).

I recorded two clips. Originally, I unsaturated all the colour channels except for the green as I am using a black and white subject in front of a green screen. CLIP 1 worked really well, very clear, no horizontal faint lines. There were other adjustments I made on CLIP 1 asides from desaturation, so I saved it as a preset. CLIP 2 was strictly desaturation of all but green channel, and it had the horizontal lines.

Those facts may be cooincidence, as it could have been the production settings that caused the lines, so I will shoot a new video with proper settings (whatever that is) and duplicate both colour adjustments (from CLIPS 1 and 2) and produce with identical settings and see if it is indeed something in the colour adjustment or if it was just the production settings.

SO, if anyone could please tell me what is the best setting for camera to match the best setting for production I'd be much obliged so I'm not forever experimenting and finding more mistakes just when I think I've found victory. Thanks so much! You guys are the best!

With gratitude,

Nitai
Jimbo223 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 25, 2012 02:59 Messages: 95 Offline
[Post New]
Would be best if you could post a clip so we can see what you mean.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
There is no simple definitive answer ! It depends.

Which Canon digital camera? How are you getting the video from your camera to your computer? What format are you using --native format for that camera or something you've change it to?

Post your computer specs by posting Part B (directions).
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

Are you recording in high definition - or standard definition 720 by 480. Why are you not using high definition? Something with a resolution of either 720 or 1080 (as the second number)? For example 1920 by 1080.

Where did you get the "green screen" How is it mounted?
Did you look at the video you shot before doing anything with it? Can you plug the camra into a TV set and watch the video there to see if the artifacts are being captured?

It almost seems like you are trying to bite off a little too much for your first project. It would help if you would take a little time to learn about video formats, resolution, etc. Sorry but most of the questions you are asking are very basic knowledge and/or are dependent on the equipment you have. Get out that Canon manual and really read about its video capabilities. Wacth the Cyberlink and "toots" videos on how to do green screen.

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
[Post New]
Thanks, Jimbo. If after my experimentation and adjustments I am still getting horizontal lines in my clip, I will definitely post a clip for your input. I really appreciate it, thank you.

Thanks, Steve, for your input regarding definition. I am taking today to more deeply study my camera manual to determine how to change those settings, it is a simple thing, just takes patience, and I have a photographer friend who will walk me through it. So, no, I have not bitten off more than I can chew - I'm a quick study . I have a successful video clip and one unsuccessful clip (post production). All I need to do is determine what are the factors of the successful video clip and the factors of the unsuccessful one, which is totally attainable.

My green screen is great, I researched for weeks on it, and I've made lots of wonderful green screen videos with no issues.

Yes, I look at my video clips before doing anything with them. I preview them on a large screen HD tv, pre and post production. They are generally good, clear, crisp. Need to determine the cause of the success.

My camera is a Canon SX280HS with full HD. I use the USB cable that came with the package to transfer the video files to my computer.

I will do my experimentation and let you know what it yields. Thank you kindly for your input. All the best to you and yours.

Nitai
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Horizontal lines may be interlacing.

Check the field order.
Best is Top field first.

If it is Bottom field first it makes the video worse on some players.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Thank you, Carl. Where do I find the field order? Is it in the PowerDirector program or something on my camera?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thank you, Carl. Where do I find the field order? Is it in the PowerDirector program or something on my camera?

You look at the file info:
MediaInfo will tell you what the field order is.

Free download (watch out for unwanted extra software, uncheck in installer)
http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

In Powerdirector you can change the profile to make the field order Top field first.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Thank you, Carl.

So if I understand correctly, are you saying that top field first is better than the progressive option? Please confirm. You are most helpful, thank you.

Nitai
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Thank you, Carl.

So if I understand correctly, are you saying that top field first is better than the progressive option? Please confirm. You are most helpful, thank you.

Nitai

Progressive is better than interlaced.

If you have interlaced video then Top field First is the normal field order.

Think of an old analog TV set when you can see the lines in the picture.

[Post New]
Excellent, thank you!

Oh, and also, the problem has been solved. My experimentation proved successful. My hunch was correct, I had to make extra certain that the resolution of original footage matched the resolution of production settings. The horizontal lines has disappeared, thankfully!

I'm making my first music video, and I'm certainly learning a lot! I love information.

Thanks, everyone for your input!

Best wishes,

Nitai xoxo