Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Frozen "skips" at 4 certain parts
TheHobbit89 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 10, 2014 22:07 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I'm using PowerDVD 10 v.10.0.1 or something like that. It came installed with my HP computer so I don't know if it's Ultra or not, but anyway, when watching Frozen on Blu-ray on my computer, at 4 certain parts the film quickly skips, during the musical parts. When Anna's singing "For The First Time In Forever" when she says "Ready for this change" it quickly passes the word "ready", and then skips a beat a few seconds later. In the "Let It Go" sequence, when Elsa says "Rise like the break of dawn", it quickly freezes on "Rise...", and when Olaf sings "In Summer", right at the end it freezes quick. It's not the Blu-ray, as I have another copy and it does the same thing.

The thing is it doesn't skip at these parts on my PS3 when I watch it. There was a patch available which I downloaded to 10.0.08 or something, but that didn't fix it. I don't think it could be my drivers, since no other Blu-ray has these problems. What can be causing this? Should I update to PowerDVD 13 or something? Will the free trial let me watch it to see if it does it?
luckyjacks08 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 18, 2014 20:01 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Ok, having watched it all the way through, the skips for my blu ray are exactly the same, it is uncanny.

I am making the assumption that we have different blu ray players, as I am using an LG CH10LS28 with Power DVD 10.x
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136253

To eliminate the possibility that it is a bad press, have you tried this in any other Blu Ray player? The only ones I have all use Power DVD 10 and the same Blu Ray player, and both skip on the same section.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 18. 2014 20:20

TheHobbit89 [Avatar]
[Post New]
This is a Blu-ray/Optical Drive that came installed in my computer. It just says HP BD DH12E3SHB. But like I said, if I watch it on my PS3 it doesn't skip at all, plays perfectly fine. I'm gonna try it on my PS4 to see if that affects it. I don't have a standalone Blu-ray player, as I normally watch all my Blu-rays on my computer. But glad to hear this only isn't happening to me.

I even updated graphics drivers and tried a free trial of PDVD 13, and neither fixed the problem, so obviously it's a playback problem with the Blu-ray drive itself.
luckyjacks08 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 18, 2014 20:01 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I would say playback problem with the program not the drive, but yes it appears that way. Especially since it plays fine on your PS3.

I am trying to find a local friend who has a blu-ray player so I can verify my disc works as expected outside of the PowerDVD system. Will post results if this happens.

Cheers
TheHobbit89 [Avatar]
[Post New]
So all versions of PowerDVD affect the film then? Hm.... Is that something they can update? I'm curious to know if more people are having these issues.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 21. 2014 09:14

Phil UK 87 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 14, 2014 09:22 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I'm having this problem too, exactly as described above. It's good to know it's not just me because it really spoils the film. I'm using PowerDVD 13, but haven't tried the Blu-ray in a different player yet. I even sent it back to Amazon for a replacement, which of course didn't fix it. Both the 3D and 2D blu-rays have the exact same problem.

I guess these "skips" could be points in the film where there are layer transitions - it made me think of the old DVD warning, something like "layer transition may trigger a slight pause". I haven't had problems with other blu-rays, even played Hobbit 2 3D flawlessly. Please fix this Cyberlink, maybe for PowerDVD 14, or just a patch?

Edit: Tried it with PowerDVD 14, same problem. Also tried it with WinDVD 11 and it plays fine . At least, the "Ready for this change" part plays ok, I haven't played the whole film but hopefully it will be fine. Having said that, WinDVD has other problems. Skipping to chapter 3 causes it to crash, so I had to skip to chapter 2 then fast forward haha.

Clearly this is something Cyberlink need to look at and fix, it's probably the most popular blu-ray right now and their software can't play it properly.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 16. 2014 03:38

Phil UK 87 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here's another update for anyone having this problem. WinDVD was even worse because it crashed after playing for less than a minute of the 3D Blu-ray. I tried TotalMedia Theatre 6 and it works almost perfectly. No skipping in the places mentioned above, but a bit of lag (temporary stuttering video) which can be fixed by just rewinding a few seconds and watching the part that lagged again.
[Post New]
this is a problem for pdvd definately. for the 2d copy, i just use vlc after backing my bluray up. it's worse for 3d because i have to rely on things like windvd/pdvd/arcsoft etc. powerdvd 14 really doesn't like 3d mode, mouse vanishes OR interface vanishes. support really hasn't helped much in the past either. i've had to report bugs to tech support for powerdvd 13 which they said had been identified and will be dealt with. powerdvd 13 hasn't been patched and powerdvd 14 seems to have a new set of bugs. i really am out of options for 3d
Phil UK 87 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I thought I was out of options for 3D too until I found TotalMedia Theatre. For me it seems to be the most stable of the 3 players I've used, still not 100% perfect though.

I don't know if it's just the variety of different hardware that makes it hard for Cyberlink and others to make a reliable Blu-ray player, but that would be my guess. It's ridiculous when you think of the cost of this software.
[Post New]
i ripped the copy protections & created a single m2ts with full dts-hd ma 7.1 track and copied the video exact. so basically a single file with identical quality to the bluray. powerdvd still skips. so i'm thinking powerdvd has trouble handling m2ts/h264 files in general not bluray. vlc succeeds but it doesn't support dts-hd.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 19. 2014 13:03

Phil UK 87 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Interesting, but aren't all Blu-rays encoded in the same way? I've played many Blu-rays with PowerDVD and Frozen is the only one with this problem.
[Post New]
the best way to get this sorted is if we all create a support ticket & point it to this thread.

i don't believe all blurays are encoded the same. for example the most popular encoding library x264 has found its way to some blurays even though most don't use x264. x264 is one of many h264 encoders. also blurays can be VC1. which is not h264 at all.

also, i had an issue with brave bluray. as a matter of fact, i still don't know if it has been fixed even now.
Peter31546156 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 14, 2012 17:27 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I can confirm this bug. It emerges exactly as described while playing 3D version of Frozen. I'm using PDVD version 12.0.3519.58. I'm just glad my disc isn't faulty and that I searched the web before RMA. Can someone confirm the PDVD 14 with latest updates will resolve this issue?
[Post New]
14 is fixed. 13/12/11 have not been fixed.
Phil UK 87 [Avatar]
[Post New]
It seems to be fixed in 15 too. I checked the "first time in forever" part where it used to skip when Anna is singing out of the window, and it's fine
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
There is an update patch for pdvd10 oem. I just downloaded it. Don't know if it fixes all problems.