Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cannot play avi files
RobertWA [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Sep 20, 2008 00:18 Messages: 223 Offline
[Post New]
I have been using the trial version of PowerDVD13 and it played my video files (.avi) perfectly. I decided to purchase the full version and my first attempt to play a video file met with the message "Cyberlink PowerDVD does not support the playback of this media format". The file was exactly the same file as played perfectly on the trial version.

How can I overcome this problem?

Thanks

Robert
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
AVI is a generic term for several formats (for example - DIVX and XVid in addition to DVD AVI) ). What kind of AVI files are you trying to play?

How did you remove the trial copy? Before or after you installed the purchased program? Did you have your antivirus enabled during the install? When you removed the trial version, you may have removed or corrupted the codec needed to play the type of files you have.

Using the free "GSpot" codec checker, what does it say about the codecs Are the right one installed?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 15. 2014 10:18

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
RobertWA [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Sep 20, 2008 00:18 Messages: 223 Offline
[Post New]
Stevek,

Thanks for the reply.

The removal of the trial copy occurred automatically during the installation of the paid version.

It seemed to me that the correct codecs must have been installed, at least initially, as the files played OK with the trial version. Your suggestion that perhaps the codecs had been removed or corrupted during the removal of the trial version sounded more like the problem.

So I uninstalled the paid version using Windows Uninstall Program. I then re-installed the trial version.

I then uninstalled the trial version using Windows Uninstall Program, and re-installed the paid version. It works! (at least for now!)

Thanks

Robert
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Great news.

Sometimes things like that happen like that for no good reason. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.