Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
DVD DLs//Solved
boongsong [Avatar]
Contributor Location: Arvin, CA Joined: May 18, 2010 14:48 Messages: 482 Offline
[Post New]
Any tips on what is a good brand of DVD DLs?
I've been using Verbatim and no problems. Saw this and wondering if anyone knows anything about this particular listing.
What is the difference between normal and Silver Shiny?

Product Details

Verbatim 96732 DVD Dual Layer (DVD/R DL) 2.4X-6X Silver Shiny Double Layer DVD Plus R Blank Media Discs in 50...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 23. 2014 19:20

Jack
PD 14.0.2302.0 HP h8-1280t, Intel Core i7-3820, CPU 3.60Hzm 64-bit, 10GB mem, 1 TB hard drive
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I do not know what is different about that particular dvd, but I have never had a bad disc from Verbatim. Other good brands, but that is my favorite. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Shiny silver is ideal for silk-screen printing. The description refers to the non data side. You can't use the traditional matte finish Verbatim label or white printable disc for silk-screen label printing. The non data side will look like a mirror, a sharpie still works though.

Jeff
boongsong [Avatar]
Contributor Location: Arvin, CA Joined: May 18, 2010 14:48 Messages: 482 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Jamie-esque and JL_JL for your responses.
JL_JL, you said can't use traditional Verbatim matte labels. Will other labels work?
Pretty good deal on the DVDs.
What about Kodak or Phillips? Jack
PD 14.0.2302.0 HP h8-1280t, Intel Core i7-3820, CPU 3.60Hzm 64-bit, 10GB mem, 1 TB hard drive
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
NEVER put paper labels on a DVD ! They spin too fast and get hot. You could ruin your burner with one slightly damaged label.

Next time you get a printer; get one that will print directly on the disc and get water white discs. That is all I use now. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
boongsong [Avatar]
[Post New]
Wow!! Thanks for the info. Had no idea.
That's why I appreciate all the responses and help I get here. Invaluable.
As an aside. What kind of printer will print on discs? No idea on that.
Again, thanks for the tip. Jack
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
I think Canon had the original ability to print on disc but other do also. I have an Epson Artisen refurbished that I paid a little over $125 for a couple of years ago. I just looked and could not find that they had any refurbs. Just look for "print on Disc: in the advertisements.

I don;t think they make the one I have anymore but here is a similar one:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&sku=C11CA45201

Perhaps you can find one on sale.

ebay has a refurbished one close to what I have and the price is reasonable (so far).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epson-Artisan-800-All-In-One-Inkjet-Wireless-Printer-/331148212197?pt=COMP_Printers&hash=item4d19f8b7e5

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 10. 2014 18:46

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
boongsong [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks so much stevek for the info.
I'll be surfing the next day or two. I need one because I have 13+ hrs of video that I'm processing. Unfortunately, I already
did 14 discs and used the printed labels because I had no idea they would present a problem.
Once again, the info in these forums is invaluable.
Have a great day. Jack
boongsong [Avatar]
[Post New]
One more quick (maybe stupid) question.
Is it possible to use a computer that is Light Scribe capable to print on DVD DLs that have the matte finish? I have seen Light Scribe DVDs, not sure if any are DL.
I've used LightScribe before but that was years n years ago and the options were extremely limited as to what you could print and everything was black on the gold background. I know they have various color background CD/DVDs now.
Just wonderin'

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 10. 2014 21:59

Jack
stevek
[Post New]
No stupid questions (mostly). Sometimes stupid answers.

There is supposed to be according to the Verbatim web site but they have none and I can't find anyone else who has them. I don't think they are matte finish but the special finish that is burnable. Try Meritline or other. The lightscribe web site is no longer working.

Lightscribe are not printed; the special surface is laser burned; therefore back. I have tried other colors in the past and the green seems to look best. I haven't burned Lightscribe in a long time. .
boongsong [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks again for your reply.
How refreshing to go to a site, ask a question, and get an intelligent answer that doesn't imply the person asking the question is "three tacos short of a combination plate".
Maybe, someday, I'll dig into the lightscribe thing a little more. Right now, I'm going to stick with Verbatim and see if I can find a decent printer that will burn discs. As I used to say in the military, when all else fails, follow the instructions.
Have a great day and thanks for the excellent info. Jack
boongsong [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi stevek.
Been looking around for a CD/DVD printer and here's what I found. Delivery in about 7-10 days.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&sku=C11CD31201

Really appreciate the info you supplied which helped me find this. Had no idea the one you have was replaced by XP-610 which was replaced by this one.
Keep up the good work. Jack
stevek
[Post New]
Looks like a good deal ! It comes with a reasonable dvd printing software. I use SureThing disc labeler. You can buy that with the money you saved on the printer. .
boongsong [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for response. Just have to find the correct media now.
I already use Sure Thing for labels. Only thing I've found that is worth it.
Sure appreciate the info you provided. Jack
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Even though this thread is a little old it was about 10th in the current cue.

Anyway.. I have been using Dual Layer (DL) DVD's for many years.

I always get mine from the cheapest source on Ebay as I usually buy 300-400 at a time depending on how they are packaged. That will last about 3 months or so if I am lucky. Not all my DL burning is from using PD11. I get the ink printable so they are a little more. But 200 usually runs around 80-105 bucks or so... I seem to get Verbatum the most, and yes occasionally I will get one that is bad. Maybe 4 in 300.

No reason to spend a lot of money on DVD's if you use a lot like I do.

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link