Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Portrait vs Landscape
RobertWA [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Sep 20, 2008 00:18 Messages: 223 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

I am trialling PowerDVD13 and have a problem with photos with a Portrait orientation.

When viewed as thumbnails in Windows Explorer they are correct. When viewed as thumbnails in the main screen of PowerDVD they are also correct.

But when played as a slideshow from the playlist they are the right way up, they use the full landscape screen but they are stretched sideways to fill the screen. (Imagine a Portrait orientation photo of a standing person. In this case he is standing but is very very fat!) And when I click on them from the playlist they occupy a Portrait frame on the screen but are sideways and stretched. (The person is still very very fat but is now sideways!).

What settings can I change to ensure that Portrait photos always display correctly?

Thanks

Robert
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
How did you make the slide show or are you just viewing the images? What is the source of the images?

Check the settings in PD 13 to see if it is set to stretch the display rather than use the original ratio. See the image below for the settings.

[Thumb - stretch.jpg]
 Filename
stretch.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Display ratio
 Filesize
86 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
140 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 07. 2014 09:43

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
RobertWA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Stevek

Thanks

I checked the stretch settings but they are set to original aspect ratio, not to stretch.

The images are standard jpegs from my camera. If I view them from the Photos library in PowerDVD13 they are OK, but as soon as I add them to a Playlist they don't display correctly. Normally I would be happy to just view my "slideshow" from the Photos library, but the reason I want to use a Playlist is that I want to include videos as well as photos in the one show. If I keep my media to videos and Landscape photos there is no problem but as soon as I use Portrait photos I have a problem.

Have you experienced any problems with Portrait photos in a Playlist?

Thanks again for your help.

Robert
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Stevek

Thanks

I checked the stretch settings but they are set to original aspect ratio, not to stretch.

The images are standard jpegs from my camera. If I view them from the Photos library in PowerDVD13 they are OK, but as soon as I add them to a Playlist they don't display correctly. Normally I would be happy to just view my "slideshow" from the Photos library, but the reason I want to use a Playlist is that I want to include videos as well as photos in the one show. If I keep my media to videos and Landscape photos there is no problem but as soon as I use Portrait photos I have a problem.

Have you experienced any problems with Portrait photos in a Playlist?

Thanks again for your help.

Robert

Yes but in slide shows using video editing programs; not a video player. The program I used to "crop" the images to fit is no longer available. In video editing programs, I use the image as an overlay to a color panel it make it fit without distortion.
RobertWA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Stevek

Thanks again.

I know that I can use PowerDirector to put my images (and videos) together to make a video "slideshow" and I can manage the images so that they display correctly. However the Playlist function in Power DVD seemed to be a better way to go as it gives me more control when I am actually playing the slideshow, eg advancing to the next slide by clicking (so that I can spend as much time as I want on a particular slide) rather than having the video slideshow proceed at the per-deternmined rate eg 5 seconds per slide. (Yes I know I can use the pause button on my video player but that can lead to a clumsy presentation.) It would be much better, I think, if the Media Player could handle Portrait photos correctly.

If it's not too much trouble would you mind trying to replicate my problem - perhaps the full version of PowerDVD13 works better than the trial version.

Thanks once again.

Robert
RobertWA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Stevek

I found a work-around which seems to work (but doesn't remove the problem as far as PowerDVD is concerned).

Take the original Portrait photo and open it in a photo-editing software. (I tried Photoshop Elements 9 and also Photo Director 3 and they both work.) Don't do any editing at all, just "Save As" and give it a new name. The new photo behaves correctly in PowerDVD 13.

You can also actually do some editing such as cropping on the photo and the new version seems to work OK as well.

While this work-around gets me over my present problem, I feel this strange behaviour of Portrait photos is a serious limitation of PowerDVD's capabilities.

Cheers

Robert