Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What Does PowerProducer Really Have Over PowerDirector?
Dan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 03, 2008 17:02 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
I've been a long time user of Pinnacle Studio and have come to appreciate the feature set of PowerDirector. In authoring menus, however, I was disappointed at the lack of flexibility of PD in comparison to Studio. The following are some limitations of PD I came across:
- Cannot have a single page menu with chapters.
- Cannot have as many chapters as I want on a single page.
- Cannot return to the menu after playing a single chapter.
- Cannot have different text or appearance between sub-menus.
- Cannot jump from one menu to another (I.E. out of order).

Reading these forums I read that PowerProducer was more powerful in creating menus. However, when using the trial version I was still unable to do any of the things I mentioned above. In fact, it seemed to have much less capability in designing menus than PD.

Am I missing something here?
David [Avatar]
Newbie Location: England Joined: Dec 09, 2007 19:18 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
No, I don't think you are missing anything. I also think Power Producer is very under powered. As far as I can tell the only advantage Power Producer has over Power Director is the ability to use more than one video file.

I wasted money on PP4, and the trial of PP5 wasn't any better. I don't really understand, because PD6 and PD7 are so good for the cost. Now I edit my films in PD7 and author them in a trial version of Adobe Encore.
Ernie [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 19, 2006 13:26 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Dan: I have been using PD7 for about four month and I extremely pleased with it except for all the things you mentioned about menus.

I don't understand how Cyberlink could make such a wonderful piece of software like PD7 and completely muck up the menus part

One shouldn't have to, after buying PD7, use other software to turn an project.