Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Backward compatability
James [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 04, 2008 00:42 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I recently received a response from Tech Support regarding the issue with PD7 not being able to correctly open PD6 projects (subtitles). The response was:

"The project files created in previous versions of the PowerDirector will not open in the new version of PowerDirector because some of features which were available in the previous version may be they are not available in the latest version or may be available but with different name. And some more features which are added to the new version were not available in the previous version."

One suggestion made was to save project as an mpeg2 in PD6 and import into PD7. This doesn't solve the problem of being able to continue a PD6 project using PD7. It is devistating to think that all my months of hard work on multiple PD6 projects is wasted unless I go back to the older program.

I would like to highly recommend to Cyberlink that when an upgrade is developed, that there be full backward compatability or at least a conversion program available so previous projects can be continued, modified, etc.

Jim Clark
Jim Clark
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jim,

I've sent you an email on this matter about 10 minutes ago - I did have the answer this morning, just i get a lot of emails to answer and sort out.

1. This issue of the subtitles IS being looked at.
2. when a temporary patch is created - I will know and you will receive it first of all.

The issue is on hand.

My emails are from the Head of RD at CyberLink. The TS info is just what they know.... at that time.

Dafydd
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Just to update and state.

Reverse compatibility of PowerDirector project files became part of PD from PD5 onwards.

The difficulty with subtitles in PD6 not showing in PD7 here for Jim will be resolved shortly. I'm waiting for a test report back from Jim on a possible fix.

Dafydd
James [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 04, 2008 00:42 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
The fix has been applied and tested over several PD6 projects and works great. I've tested view, added new, and edit of existing subtitles, without any problem.

PD guys... your great!

Thanks,
Jim Clark Jim Clark