Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
sems like cross fade is stopped unitl the fade gets to it....
MartyGene1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 24, 2014 16:57 Messages: 40 Offline
[Post New]
I have some cross fades in a video I am working on and I applied cross fade to some of the clips. They don't blend together very well in that the first clip is moving and as it fades to the second clip that second clip is static until the timeline advances to that clip and then the action moves. Not very smooth. is there some way to make them both be moving?
thanks
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
That is the nature of the crossfade mode. The FROM clip moves until half way, while the TO clip is frozen, then the action reverses. The longer the fade the more this is evident.

An OVERLAP can be used instead, but this will change the length of the production. Check the HELP files for particulars.

You can create an A/B roll by overlapping the clips (on separate tracks) and applying a fade out to the FROM clip and a fade in for the TO clip - using keyframes.
MartyGene1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
overlap won't work for me as I have the video synched to a separate audio track.
But that other idea sounds like it might work. Would I have to move the from clip to another track and do the fade in and out thing as you describe? if you know of any tutorials that show this that would be appreciated. otherwise I will paly around with it and see how I do. I hope CyberLink can do a better job of this in the future. It is so easy and works great in ... well you know, some other video editing program
borgus1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have seen the same crossfade behavior in several editing programs. With fades of 20ff or less it usually isn't objectionable.

Yes, A/B editing would be on alternating video tracks. To retain sync, you would add (extend) time on the clips - provided that video is available - to form the overlap, without physically moving the body of each clip.

Not as handy as applying a fade from the transitions menu, but not that difficult once you get the hang of it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 03. 2014 14:12

MartyGene1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
that works, thanks. Takes some doing though especially if one wanted to do that to many clips in a long production. If you ever hear of one that can be bought or made and saved to use often, please let me know.
borgus1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Another approach is to double-click on a clip (or click the MODIFY button) and scroll down to the "fade" section.
Apply the appropriate IN or OUT fade and SAVE.

Back on the timeline you will notice a horizontal line throughout the video clip - with the fade shown as the line dips. Mouse over the dot (which is a keyframe) and it can be dragged right/left/up/down. Double-click the line to create more keyframes. Right-click to delete keyframes.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 03. 2014 14:44

MartyGene1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, I'll give that a try asap and let you know how it goes...
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
To add to the above:

Have you tried shortening the transition duration timing ?
Right click on the transition itself and decrease the timing. (Or select the transition and click the Duration tab above the timeline)

I set my timing in Preference to .7 s which is equal to 42 frames (not the insane 2 seconds default, that is way too long of a transition for me.)

For quicker transitions I use 32 or 36 frames.
Only if I want to give a longer pause and emphasize the transition effect itself will I use a longer 1:30

Not sure if you have already seen this link on how to transitions. It was done when PD 11 was out- but still the same concepts and even better now that PD 12 let's you change the transition duration on the fly as you go:

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be