Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Patch 3520 Failed Install
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]

Good day folks. I have two computers, both running Bitdefender Total Security and Windows 7 x64 (one Professional, one Home Premium). I also have PowerDVD 13 Ultra on both the Dell Laptop XPS 1645 and my Maingear Shift tower. Yesterday, I successfully installed the patch on my Maingear Shift, but when I went to install it on the laptop, the update stopped at 60 percent and reported that my antivirus software was blocking installation by not allowing access to a file. Tried updating via Safe Mode, but that too stopped at 60 percent and reported that the Windows Installer service was not running.

I excluded the patch file and PowerDVD 13 from online and on demand anti-virus scanning and launched the patch again. It went through entirely, reported a successful installation, but then PDVD13 would not launch. Rebooted. The same thing, no launch, no error message. Used Revo Uninstaller Pro to take out PDVD13 and then rebooted and installed my original PDVD13 program installation file without any problems.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, or if not, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can successfully install the latest PDVD13 patch on my laptop?

Thank you for any and all advice. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
BJ1200 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 10, 2012 13:31 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
I had a similar issue with an XPS laptop. There are several in the forum who complained of issues with this update, many had to do a fresh install to get the update applied. I've noticed over the years the "updates" are really a fresh installation of an upgraded version of the application. It doesn't update just a few files, it installs an entirely new application, basically replacing every file. It should be treated as such when considering an update.

I used Revo and uninstalled the entire app. This time I could not install the update like a new app, it would not accept my key. I had to reinstall the base version of PDVD13 and didn't touch any settings. I then applied the 3520 update. After this update I then made my settings changes (since they got wiped out). Because updates are basically a new installation, I also had to make the Firewall changes again.

Luckily I take screen grabs of my PDVD and Firewall settings so I can put things back. A true "update" should not cause this many hassels.
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
BJ1200:

Glad that I am not alone. Thank you for responding. I agree with you that updates/patches should be seamless and not cause users to waste hours trying to get them installed.

The next time I have my laptop up and running, I will give it another try with "on access" anti-virus scanner disabled. It is a real nuisance for sure. The weird thing is that the patch installed just fine on my tower ... ? Same anti-virus program ... ?

Thanks again for responding. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
garioch7
[Post New]
BJ1200:

Just reporting back. I did install the original version of PDVD13 again, as I told you. Today I disabled my virus scanner and the install of the latest PDVD13 patch went perfectly.

I guess there was something about that interim patch that it did not like.

Thanks for your help. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra