Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
HD editing in PD7 from Sanyo VPC HD1000
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Guys,
The nasty forum fairy stole my initial post last week and things have moved on a bit since then.

I currently use PD6 to edit my scuba videos at 640x480 but have now invested in the Sanyo.
(example http://seemyworldonvideo.com/view/173/safaga-house-reef-3/)

It produces mpeg4 AVC/H.264 files at :-
Full-HD 1920 x 1080 (60 fields/s 12Mbps) [HD-HR] 1280 x 720 (60fps, 12Mbps), [HD-SHQ] 1280 x 720 (30fps, 9Mbps). 60fps is actually 59.94, 30 is 29.97. (at full HD thats 1hr 25min on 8Gb Class6 SDHC card!).

Before upgrading to PD7 I'd appreciate any advice/comments on the best methods/standards etc to import and edit to produce mainly HD files playable on PC/laptops.

Experimenting on PD6 produces variable results even when trying to match sample file structures by processing in SuperC, ie the sample HD file, say WMVHD plays fine on the laptop but the edited and processed file does not - jerky and combing to greater or lesser degrees. I would say the laptop isn't fast enough but it does play other sample files perfectly.

I haven't tried all options/combinations yet but any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi William (I think I remember your name correctly without having to look it up ),

I'm not using HD at the moment. However if you want to "tweak" a WMV prx template to suit your needs take a look here:
http://seemyworldonvideo.com/view/218/creating-wmv-templates/

Go to the bottom of the page for HD version yo auto install and try out:
http://seemyworldonvideo.com/pages/extras.html
They'll install into PD6 and 7 without any problems.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 10. 2008 10:57

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,

Call me William if you like, its not a common name in our family (actually there aren't any) and maybe my mid life crisis will let me adopt a new identity. Can you supply fake passport, driving license etc?

Many thanks for your info. I'll look that up later. My next scuba videos should be in HD with a bit of luck! Any plans for an HD channel on seemyworld?

Cheers
Adrian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 10. 2008 11:58

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Splat.... egg all over my face.... Just me trying to be a smart a** and remembering everything.

Sorry Adrian.

Which country would you need the passport issued by? Delivery is in an unmarked brown paper envelope with special Micky Mouse stamps on it

Dafydd
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Spec and streaming.

FLV is the streaming format used all over at the moment. What you would need to do is up the spec of the PC FLV compression you use to be more inline with HD. This is do-able already and Brady (forum member) has uploaded HD quality in the past.

Doing FLV compression on your PC allows you to retain video quality and control file size. In the Extras section you can find the tools to create what you want. In a minute (half an hour) I'll upload a special FLV template if you could give it a try. http://seemyworldonvideo.com/pages/extras.html

The biggest fear is bandwidth useage for a site and I have limited the file upload capability to a maximum of 100mb - I could increase it. I will ask members in due course.

The answer is... yes I have considered it... is it a do-able for all, maybe.

Dafydd
vn800rider
[Post New]
Great, maybe I can play with some small trials and see how it goes?

I'm struggling at present with upping my capability with my hardware/software/brainpower/time as well as the camera etc so I'll see how it all goes.

Thanks for your advice and time.

Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
bobfrombrissie
Newbie Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Feb 10, 2008 05:28 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Adrian,

I too have the Sanyo HDC 1000. I have PD7 on Vista core 2 duo CPU.
It handles the Sanyo files effortlessly.

I use 1280 x720p to make great looking HD movies. I have found there is not any noticeable difference using 1080i. In fact if there is lots of movement its worse.

Regards

Bob B
vn800rider
[Post New]
Hi Bob,

Thanks for that, I'm still using PD6 with XP on both desktop and laptop but I'm finding the same. However, I have used this as an excuse to up my hardware a bit.

The camera is very capable and most people are very impressed. I now have the UW housing so I will need to get wet soon.

Thanks for your comments.

Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
Brian [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 21, 2008 17:05 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I just downloaded the new version of PD7 to use with my Sanyo. When I pull in the Sanyo clips to the timeline I get a message that says "TV Format Conflict: Warning! Your project contains one of more video clips whose TV format (NTSC/PAL) is different from your Preferences setting..."

I don't understand how to fix this as I have played with all the settings I could find to set it to NTSC, etc. Any help would be appreciated.
vn800rider
[Post New]
Hi Brian,
I can't speak for how the guts of PD6 or 7 actually works in this regard. So far, in my limited career using PD6, I've not come across any particular problem (I'm based in the UK so tend to opt for PAL based output). You can turn off the prompt in PD6 under preferences/general/confirmationm - untick the appropriate box. Like you, I was concerned and I did look up some technical info but it is waaaay over my head.
"The basics of PAL and the NTSC system are very similar; a quadrature amplitude modulated subcarrier carrying the chrominance information is added to the luminance video signal to form a composite video baseband signal. The frequency of this subcarrier is approximately 4.43 MHz for PAL, compared to approximately 3.58 MHz for NTSC. The SECAM system, on the other hand, uses a frequency modulation scheme on its colour subcarrier." I stopped there.

I'm sure the Cyberlink techies will put me right if I say maybe it doesn't matter???

Cheers
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
bobfrombrissie
Newbie Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Feb 10, 2008 05:28 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Brian,

Like vn800rider Im pretty sure it makes no difference to importing or editing the Sanyo files. It would make a difference in Producing a file to make a DVD to play on a TV. In that case you should set the box at Edit/Preferences/General/TVFormat to suit your TV.

Bob B
Brian [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the feedback. I tried adding clips that were recorded at 720/30 and it worked with no error message. Seems it gets confused with the 1080/60 format or at least thinks it has to convert it and loose quality. Odd that it does not work with native 1080. Still, I do not like the quality of the recording on this camera as the video looks worse than my miniDV standard def Canon. I am going to keep shooting home videos on the Canon. I assume this is due to the fact that DV format is not compressing to the level that MPEG4 is.
Matthew Peake [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 10, 2009 06:08 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I have the same problem with my newly installed copy of PD7. I get the error with my 1080/60 clips that I took on my Sanyo Xacti HD1000. I have a bunch of unreplaceable clips in this format from a recent holiday. I hope the loss in quality is not too great as I can't go back and reshoot. Does anyone now of other software that might help?

Matt P.
Brian [Avatar]
[Post New]
Matthew, I have been using the Sanyo and shooting with a default setting at 720/60 with no ill effects. For 1080/60 you can ignore the error message when importing as the folks mentioned above.
Brian [Avatar]
[Post New]
Matthew, I should have also mentioned that there is no loss in quality at 1080. My settings were probably incorrect but the 1080 and 720 is certainly going to be better than SD, obviously. There will be motion artifacts between interlaced and progressive scan but resolution will be great. The biggest issue is just learning how to deal with the AVCHD format that is slowly gaining support.
Matthew Peake [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 10, 2009 06:08 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for clarifying that Brian. I was worried for a minute there.