Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What is best format to copy to DVD?
Scott61 [Avatar]
Member Location: Wichita, KS Joined: Aug 20, 2011 04:43 Messages: 126 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

I am coping 8mm film to DVD by capturing it with a HD camcorder and exporting that into PD11. With the various rendering times involved with the different formats, I am wondering what would work the best and maintain the quality as it was captured?

I have been using MPEG4, but does anyone think that MOV, AVI, MPEG2, etc. would allow shorter rendering time and yet maintain a quality level that the average person can't tell the difference.

On most of the video I have to use Video Denoise, crop to 4:3, some color and white balance adjustments. Most projects run around one hours at about 4.3 GB. I sometimes use dual layer DVD's when needed.

I just bought a new Sony laptop with an i7 processor and a GT735M video card,(I think that was the number?) The video card has 2GB of memory with 8GB on the machine using Windows 8.

I attached the dxdiag files.
Thanks,
Scott
 Filename
DxDiag3.txt
[Disk]
 Description
dx3
 Filesize
86 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
457 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
dx1
 Filesize
86 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
270 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag1.txt
[Disk]
 Description
dx2
 Filesize
86 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
538 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 23. 2014 01:19

Scott Wright
Wichita, KS
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
A playable DVD uses the VOB format - it is an MPEG-2. If you wish to Produce before burning then place in the track, MPEG2 (DVD-HQ) video.

An HD Mpeg4 video file can be stored on a DVD as a data file.

Dafydd
Scott61 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks your your response. Are you saying if I produce it first to create an MPEG-2 file, and if I burn direct to a DVD to do it in MPEG-4?

Guess I am still a little confused. Scott Wright
Wichita, KS
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Produce an mpeg2 video, place it in the tracks and then burn to disc

OR

You can split the render and disc writing process up in a different way by selecting two options in Create Disc
1. Your current project is in the tracks.
2. Select Create Disc
3. Select DVD
4. Select Burn in 2D icon
5. Check Write to Folder and Burn to Disc.

The mp4 data info I gave is just info, sorry if it confused you.

Dafydd
Scott61 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Am I to understand that when you select "write to folder" that you are producing the project at the same time as burning the DVD? This would mean that you now you would have a finished, rendered project ready to burn another DVD if needed?

Can you refer me to some info that would tell me when it's best to us MPEG-4 or other formats. The project I described to you isn't creating a HD video. But if I want to create the very best quality HD video burned to Blue Rae, or regular DVD, what are the best format choices. I think I realize that some of your choice in format depends on what device is going to be used to watch your project. But I'm just not sure what situations would require using AVI or MOV.

Thanks again for helping me out.

Scott Scott Wright
Wichita, KS
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Am I to understand that when you select "write to folder" that you are producing the project at the same time as burning the DVD? This would mean that you now you would have a finished, rendered project ready to burn another DVD if needed?

Can you refer me to some info that would tell me when it's best to us MPEG-4 or other formats. The project I described to you isn't creating a HD video. But if I want to create the very best quality HD video burned to Blue Rae, or regular DVD, what are the best format choices. I think I realize that some of your choice in format depends on what device is going to be used to watch your project. But I'm just not sure what situations would require using AVI or MOV.

Thanks again for helping me out.

Scott

Write to Folder creates the Disk Structure on your Hard Drive. From the Disk Structure you can use disk burning software to burn as many disks as you wish. PowerDirector can write all of the Disk Formats to Folder, You select which format in Create Disk > 2D TAB.

DVD is not High Definition video. It is only Standard Definition (720x480/576). The format of a Standard DVD is MPEG-2 HQ.

You can burn a AVCHD disk that is High Definition to a Single layer or Double Layer DVD disk.
The format of a AVCHD disk is AVC H.264. AVCHD will only play in some BluRay players, Not all BluRay Players will play AVCHD.

BluRay is High Definition. It can be MPEG-2 or H.264, H.264 makes smaller files which means you can fit more on a BluRay disk.

AVCHD disk:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD

BluRay Disk:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blueray

Standard DVD:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd_video

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 24. 2014 08:53

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Scott61 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Carl. That helps me understand better what's what. I didn't think to check things out on Wikipedia. I'll look that over to get a better grasp on things.

Scott Scott Wright
Wichita, KS
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Carl gave some good information. One thing about an AVCHD disc is that there is usually about 40 or so minutes of video on it before it is full. leas than a DVD and much less than a Blu Ray .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Scott61 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for that info. I guess I have never realized that you could buy, let alone use, AVCHD discs. With them holding so much less than any other type of disc I don't think they would ever work for the type of video's I am making.

It is always good to learn about all options available and what can or can't be done. Again, I appreciate you chipping in with this info.

Scott Scott Wright
Wichita, KS
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
There are no AVCHD discs as a piece of hardware. An AVCHD disc is a standard DVD blank burned with a standard DVD burner but at near twice the normal resolution. That is why the length of the video is less than standard definition. AVCHD disc must be played on a blu ray player that will play the AVCHD codec.

Sorry to mislead you above. If some one is selling AVCHD discs as blanks, then they are misleading people. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Scott61 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I understand. No, no one is trying to sell avchd discs. Just my lack of knowledge and understanding what you said. Scott Wright
Wichita, KS