Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Choppy Bluray Playback, Crashes on DVD
SDub [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 14, 2014 23:27 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hey guys,

Just bought the PowerDVD 13 Ultra during the holiday sale to interface w/XBMC as an external player and I have a few problems just using the player itself standalone.

As the title suggests, when playing Blurays, the playback is very choppy and there are often artifacts polluting the picture. My CPU usage never hits 100%, but it does spike up and down in the neighborhood of 10%-60%. My CPU is also hovering at 45 degrees celsuis, so temperature should not be an issue. Another thing, however, is that when I play a DVD, PowerDVD 13 crashes immediately.

Product: PowerDVD 13 Ultra
Product Version: Build 3520 (I didn't install any other updates, just this one).
SR #: DVD131120-01 (DVD131016-0
TR #: TR131129-035
Type: Retail
Administrator Account: Yes
VGA: AMD a6-5400K

Bluray Player: LG UH12NS30
Bluray Player Firmware Version: v0.0 (there are no firmware updates on LG's site)
Video/Audio Interface: HDMI
Display: 32" Toshiba TV
Refresh Rate: 60Hz
Resolution: 1080p
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi SDUb,
please help to post your DXDIAG log file - also would like to suggest the techical Support for your symptoms.

thx
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
SDub [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi SDUb,
please help to post your DXDIAG log file - also would like to suggest the techical Support for your symptoms.

thx
Michael

Here is my DxDiag report.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag
 Filesize
34 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
387 time(s)
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
would suggest updating your Graphics Driver (dated from 2012)

thx
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
SDub [Avatar]
[Post New]
So, I installed the latest drivers, did a clean uninstall of PowerDVD 13 Ultra and a reinstall, and it's still choppy. I'm getting screen tearing, audio desync, and frame corruption.

Here's the new dxdiag.
 Filename
DxDiag2.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
25 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
403 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 15. 2014 17:43

PJay [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jun 09, 2009 13:53 Messages: 109 Offline
[Post New]
So are you using PDVD as plugin in XBMC? If yes, try to play only with PowerDVD program.
Also check the idle CPU usage and it shouldn't spike more than 3-5%
SDub [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: So are you using PDVD as plugin in XBMC? If yes, try to play only with PowerDVD program.
Also check the idle CPU usage and it shouldn't spike more than 3-5%

I'm not using it as a plugin, but rather an external player; essentially when I hit "Play Disc" in XBMC it runs PowerDVD fully when I have a bluray in the disc try. CPU Usage depends not only on the program, but also on the gear of what I'm using. Can't check it right now but I did install a SSD and reinstalled windows last night, ran all updates, installed all drivers, and Power DVD and it did work last night. Playback was smooth and great. Then, I woke up this morning to show my wife and guess what? The problem was back! However, there is no more screen tearing or corrupted frames, but just bad playback, i.e. frame rate is way to low (10-15 FPS). The audio is synced and playing smoothly it's just the frame rate that sucks. How is this so hard for me?

SDub [Avatar]
[Post New]
By the way, bluray playback is still crappy. It's now 100% of the time.
Micke00 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 27, 2011 17:13 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
I had the same problem with PDVD13 - stuttering BD playback. Works flawless with PDVD12.

Neither CPU (C2D E8400) nor GPU (AMD Radeon HD 6670) were even close to loaded (W7x64).

Updated graphics drivers and it went smooth - until reboot. Then it started stuttering again.

I tried to mount a BD ISO on the network, I tried to store i locally (SSD) and I tried a BD in the optical drive but the stuttering was the same.

I ended up going back to PDVD12. And just the procedure necessary to do that has made me consider buying some other BD playback software. I've had PDVD since version 9, and in order to go back to PDVD12, I had to:

1. Uninstall PDVD13
2. Install PDVD9
3. Install PDVD10
4. Install PDVD11
5. Install PDVD12

That is absolutely rediculous! WHY isn't my license code working directly for each version? I've been an IT pro for 13 years and I've seen few licensing systems that has been so poorly designed!

Won't try PDVD13 again, will either update when 14 is released and hope for the best or switch vendor...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 05. 2014 14:56

Brian11 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 11, 2014 05:00 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same problem with powerdvd 13. I have a 6870 amd card. I bought powerdvd in januari and i am not happy with it.
Brian11 [Avatar]
[Post New]
And i use the latetst amd stable driver 13.12.
Steven [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 14, 2014 01:13 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I am having the same problem with playing regular DVD's and Blu-Ray. Choppy playback and program just stops responding - ticket generated. I bought PDVD 13 because I had PDVD 9 preinstalled. Was not the problem!!! I have since uninstalled V9 - thinking of conflicts with both installed - did not help!!!
Micke00 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 27, 2011 17:13 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I am having the same problem with playing regular DVD's and Blu-Ray. Choppy playback and program just stops responding - ticket generated. I bought PDVD 13 because I had PDVD 9 preinstalled. Was not the problem!!! I have since uninstalled V9 - thinking of conflicts with both installed - did not help!!!

May I ask what GPU you have? It seems like most of us in this thread has AMD GPU's. At least two of us (Brian and myself) has 6##0 GPU's.

The fact that it ran smoothly after I updated the graphics drivers (only until reboot though) makes me think it's GPU-related or graphics driver.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 15. 2014 03:56

Brian11 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I solved the choppy playback for bluray/mkv (dvd not tested yet).

These settings are for bluray and mkv!!

I use win 8.1- intel cpu - amd 6870 - 13.12 amd driver - latest powerdvd patch.

Play in powerdvd cinema mode - disable deinterlacing(settings menu powerdvd) - pcm for sound - no hardware accl./no true theater/just select off in that menu - use reclock 1883(ask me if you don't no the correct settings).

The Catalyst Control Center settings are important to...set it at 23 hz(it show after clicking 24hz).....disable all forms of image processing...disable Enforce Smooth Video playback.....disable automatic deinterlacing set the slice to vector adaptive...disable pulldown detection ...dynamic range 0-255 if your tv supports it otherwise 16-235(most cases is it 16-235).

Don't forget to set 23 hz at your screen options(desktop right click etc.)!!!!

My tv is a plasma st50 it supports 24 hz ycbcr 4:2:2 dynamic range 0-255...
Some extra information for people how plays at 60 hz....the choppiness is still visible with my settings...at 24 hz perfect playback!!

Grtz,
Brian

SDub [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just wanted to add my information to this thread. I solved my problem, it was with my Bluray ODD. It could play DVDs fine, just not blurays. I RMA'd it, and LG sent me a new one and it works just fine.