Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is this stupid or what ?
[Post New]
During the process of create disk it runs in 2 phases. Phase 1 authoring process Phase 2 Buring Process. So WTF does it need to re-do Phase 1 when Phase 2 fails. I should be able to just put in another disk and retry phase 2. I should not have to create disc to a folder so in case phase 2 fails I do not need to restart everything. Come on Programmers have you never used the program you created and seen the pain you inflict on us ?????
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
We are not CL programmers.
We do not design the program nor work for Cyberlink.
We do not use foul language.
Would you like to ask a question about burn fails and possible causes? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
[Post New]
I dont think I called anyone cyberlink programers here, but I think they look at these forums from time to time, so I am venting my fustration on poor design. There is nothing wrong with pointing out poor design, maybe then us poor humans can enjoy our time better. Everytime I come across something like this I would like to programer do this 100 times before he can go to bed and sleep. This is the year 2014 and its time to rid the world of poor design ha ha !!. It all starts with 1 person at a time. RANT over.

So is there a way to just retry the burning process without first creating to a folder ?. It may be the dvd's or PD's problem but please give me a human understandable message I can work with, dont make me start all over. I am not looking on how to fix the problem of buring , but just to see if there is a process to continue the burn process without starting over. If PD is not designed to allow it to re-try phase 2 then poor design is the answer and I am ok with that.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I also suspect CL pokes their noses in here from time to time, and of course, there's a few Mods.
And PD is not perfect, but it's a great program at a reasonable price.
When you say phase 1 and 2, I am assuming you mean all the "prep work" PD does before it goes on to actually burn the DVD or folder.
I've got to think that if the "prep work" of assembling the video, menu, etc, in a temp file, before burning to a disc, if that fails in the burn process, then it might be best to start the process over as something may have been corrupted.
Other issues can be poor quality discs, failing drives (not too common), and you might try lowering the burn speed.
If a burn fails early on, <20%, it may be a bad menu.
Hopefully others will add to this, and improve your experience.
HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Jenyk [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Czech Republic Joined: Feb 23, 2013 11:20 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: So is there a way to just retry the burning process without first creating to a folder ?

In Burn to Disc on the Final Output window you can order PD to create folder with disc image. Is it what you are looking for?
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
It might be a good idea to change the Title of your thread so interested people may see it. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
BillyR
Senior Member Location: Southeast US Joined: Jun 19, 2013 14:33 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
Seems to me the best way to isolate this kind of problem is to burn to a folder. If it does that correctly then try burning the contents of the folder to a disk. If the problem recurs it's likely the disk. Most of my burning problems have been caused by poor quality disks. I don't like to badmouth specific brands, but the ones I've had the most trouble with start with M. Have never had any problems with Verbatim, which show up on most lists of the best movie-burning media. Taiyo Yuden (which I've never used) show up a lot too. I use Verbatim exclusively, although they're hard to get locally so I order them from online retailers.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 03. 2014 11:18

Dell Precision 7510 Laptop
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit | Intel(R) XEON(R) CPU E3-1505M v5 @2.80 GHz
RAM: 32 GB
Windows Experience Index 7.5
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: So is there a way to just retry the burning process without first creating to a folder ?

In Burn to Disc on the Final Output window you can order PD to create folder with disc image. Is it what you are looking for?

No I would like to know how to retry just the burning process if possible without phase 1 re-transcoding with out this being a 2 step process. Thanks....

I think I already know the answer PD can only restart the whole process. Which I think is just poor design. All the temp files are in place and in working order. I can run the video from the temp folders. Would be nice to have a retry option after placing a new disk in the drive.

Jenyk [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Czech Republic Joined: Feb 23, 2013 11:20 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Just for burning I use any of available CD/DVD burning tools, where I can setup the burning process according to my preferences (speed, data verification, DVD title etc.) Ashampoo is one choice.
-Jim-
Member Location: West Coast of Canada - Home of the 2010 Winter Olympics! Joined: Mar 29, 2009 13:32 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
RM123,

My experience with a few of these Video Authoring type programs is they routinely have poor disk burning capability. (I have no clue as to why => as disk burning is certainly not a new technology.) I don't even bother with this portion of them as they all seem to have a Create Disc in a Folder type function. I use a free program called Img Burn to burn these files to disk => and it's fabulous. Every Project I've done I test first using the Create Disc in a Folder method, and then if that works I burn it with Img Burn to a RW type disk. If that checks out in my set top players, I burn it onto permanent type disks (BD-R or DVDs). It prevents making a pile of Coasters.

Like you I get frustrated with bad software. It's like we can't seem to buy one that works the first time as advertised. It seems the (low) standard is to roll out Beta versions on your paying Customers and have them test it and report the Bugs. I wish it was different, but sadly, it's now the norm.

On the upside, I find the PowerDirector series has been by far the best that I've checked out. Regards,

Jim

Asus Z87-A Motherboard - O/C if needed to about 4.6 Ghz.
Intel i7 4770K CPU
16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Ram
OCZ 448 Gig SSD (for OS and related Video Editing Programs)
1 TB, 1.5 TB, and 3 TB Data Drives - Slide in Drawers as needed.
LG's HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30 Blu ray Burner
Samsung SH-S223F 16x DVD Burner
Gigabyte GTX 660Ti NVidia Geforce Graphics Card
mrmusic [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 06, 2009 12:44 Messages: 41 Offline
[Post New]
Jim, .. I soooo agree with you... and like you, I've posted similar words here on the Forum. I hate the annual bait and switch for a Beta version of a program that apparently we, the customer has to do testing on.

That being said, (more than once) ... Some one here told me you can burn to dvd without producing first. If that's the case, what is the producing step for?? Is the "authoring" part of burning to DVD the same as producing? If so, .. why does the pgm do it twice?

You have mentioned Img-burn to me in a thread. If you do that, do you get a menu system as part of the image product? I think I looked into Img-burn, but was concerned about other junk they include with it, .. or possible virus issues.

Your thoughts??
Thanks
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Imgburn is a well known/used app. It is totally safe and does not include any other junk with it. Make sure you get it from their website though.

Imgburn does only one thing - burn. Menus, etc., are created by the video editor or DVd authoring app. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA