Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I just feel like having a moan about PowerDirector
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
This is really a moan about what I perceive to be the general design philosophy at Cyberlink. I've just completed a small project without any problems but I found when playing back the finished DVD that the sound track was a bit over-loud, by which I mean I had to set the TV volume quite a bit lower than for broadcast material.

I obviously wanted to lower the audio volume equally across the entire timeline but PowerDirector 9 does not provide any facility to facilitate this rather obvious requirement. I'd be interested to know if any of the later versions do. The only work-around I could find was to produce to a file, load that onto the timeline, use the Audio Mixing Room to change the volume then produce again using SVRT to avoid re-rendering the video.

My old editor included a facility to change the base gain on each audio track. I just wish Cyberlink would concentrate their efforts on providing useful facilities like this instead of lots of flashy effects, most of which probably never get used by the vast majority of users.

Ok, rant over. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
I obviously wanted to lower the audio volume equally across the entire timeline but PowerDirector 9 does not provide any facility to facilitate this rather obvious requirement. I'd be interested to know if any of the later versions do. The only work-around I could find was to produce to a file, load that onto the timeline, use the Audio Mixing Room to change the volume then produce again using SVRT to avoid re-rendering the video.

Ok, rant over.

PD 9 and later versions have the ability to adjust the volume of an entire track.

In the Audio Room, use the Horizontal slider, that adjusts the audio level for the whole track.

[Thumb - Track Level adjustment_full size.png]
 Filename
Track Level adjustment_full size.png
[Disk]
 Description
Full size Image Adjust Track audio level
 Filesize
84 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
108 time(s)
[Thumb - Track Level adjustment_Reduced size.png]
 Filename
Track Level adjustment_Reduced size.png
[Disk]
 Description
Adjust Track audio level
 Filesize
73 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
330 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 23. 2013 21:27

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Oh dear, I should have RTFM I thought that slider was the balance control. Thanks Carl. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Oh dear, I should have RTFM I thought that slider was the balance control. Thanks Carl.

You are welcome, I am not sure the manual mentions that.

It would be nice in some cases if it was a balance control.

Horizontal slider only works on one track, the audio mixing room has a slider for each active audio track in the timeline.
So if you have multiple audio tracks you would have to adjust each track to set the audio level for the entire timeline.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Fenman
[Post New]
That was the way my old editor worked. The base gain could be set independantly on each audio track.

On reflection I think putting the slider horizontal is a bit misleading as that is how balance controls are usually arranged. I also think it would have been better for the vertical slider to vary the base gain of the entire clip instead of introducing a keyframe point at the cursor position since clicking in the track introduces a keyframe point anyway. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system: