Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Magic Movie slide show
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
I'm trying to use the Magic Movie feature for the first time. I loaded a hundred or so JPEGs into the media library, and I've run into a couple of odd things:

• I picked the option to select items from the media library. I thought it would use them all, but it only used some of them. If I selected them all, and then chose the option to "Use selected", it did use them all.
  • Regardless of which way I do it, the silly thing seems to pick one particular image to insert between every (or almost every) pair of slides. That's annoying as all get-out, especially since I have no idea how to control which one it picks.

• I tried this with the Gallery and Filmstrip themes; both did the same thing.

Magic Style does the same thing as Magic Movie. Magic Motion does just fine.

Suggestions?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 14. 2013 17:08

Jerry Schwartz
    jerrys
    Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
    [Post New]
    It appears that only some of the styles do this (repeat the same slide over and over). It also appears that there is something odd about the last two items in the media room. The next-to-last is the one that gets repeated, and the last seems to be left out completely.

The problem with the last one being left out completely appears to affect styles that don't do the repetition thing. Jerry Schwartz
    Pattijul [Avatar]
    Newbie Location: Charlotte NC Joined: Oct 17, 2013 09:22 Messages: 7 Offline
    [Post New]
    I am having the same problem. I came onto the forum hoping to see the solution. I guess I'll try a few different styles to see if I can find one that works.
    Carl312
    Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
    [Post New]
    Quote: I am having the same problem. I came onto the forum hoping to see the solution. I guess I'll try a few different styles to see if I can find one that works.

If you create your slide shows manually, you have greater control on everything.

The canned Slideshows are great for easy, quick and dirty. But they are just some programmers idea of what should be in the slideshow.

It is very easy to apply random transitions to images on the timeline.

Or you have apply one transition to all of the images.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

jerrys
    [Post New]
    Some of them are more clever than I could easily do myself. Take a look at http://youtu.be/UV6BJhpz54s. Jerry Schwartz
    ynotfish
    Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
    [Post New]
    Hi Jerry -

The "same pictures over & over" has come up before - http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/31322.page

So has the use of Theme Designer to overcome the "templated" nature of Magic Movie & Style - http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/38585.page

A while back I did a bit of investigating to try to work out what makes the "style" tick. This thread may have some useful information for you... http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/31430.page

I've also mucked around with changing those frames in the Gallery/Picture Frames templates. You'll see some of them in this video - http://youtu.be/g9gECnj5Sis

Cheers - Tony
    Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
    Full linked Tutorial Catalog
    PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
    Carl312
    Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
    [Post New]
    Quote: Some of them are more clever than I could easily do myself. Take a look at http://youtu.be/UV6BJhpz54s.

I agree that one is clever.

I notice a pattern to the movements.
    Zoom on a picture, zoom out slide to the Right for two pictures, zoom in on a picture, Repeat the motion.

It does not show a close up of one of the two picture skip.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

jerrys
    [Post New]
    Yes, it is hard to control. In fact, I duplicated one or two of the pictures in order to get them to zoom in. I wish I could control the opening image, but YouTube doesn't let you (unless you give them money). The other common plug-in for playing videos uses Flash, which doesn't work on phones.

I am trying to spiff up our temple's web site as much as I can with what I can control. Jerry Schwartz
    Carl312
    [Post New]
    Quote: Yes, it is hard to control. In fact, I duplicated one or two of the pictures in order to get them to zoom in. I wish I could control the opening image, but YouTube doesn't let you (unless you give them money). The other common plug-in for playing videos uses Flash, which doesn't work on phones.

I am trying to spiff up our temple's web site as much as I can with what I can control.

If it is complete control you want for your videos and slideshows, you have to bite the bullet and do the work of customizing your slideshows yourself.

Powerdirector does have all of the tools to do fantastic slideshows made yourself.

If it is speed to make slideshows, then the slideshow templates are the way. Some templates are customizable.

The PDtoots tutorials are good.

jerrys
    [Post New]
    I have done other slide shows by hand, or edited those that were done magically, but I like to mix things up and this template caught my eye. That was particularly true because we don't have a photographer "assigned" to take pictures, so I wind up with a hodge-podge.

I figure that the better and more interesting the pictures, the less they need to be tricked out. If I had really well done photos, I'd probably just set up a sequential slide show with simple transitions. Jerry Schwartz
    ynotfish
    Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
    [Post New]
    Jerry -

I hesitate to interject again, but since it makes little difference I will... I see your point about "tricking up" photos. You have to work with what you have.

1. Using Theme Designer you can control which images get zoomed & held & which are just fly bys - on each page/sequence, the last/first photo is the one which will receive focus.
    - you need to do a lot of fiddling (like inserting duplicates) to get that same control using Slideshow Designer

2. If any of the templates appeal to you or suit your purpose, use them and customise however you can.
    - because it's for your temple's website, pretty much eliminates many of the templates as just inappropriate, but many of them would work well... especially with customised frames or backgrounds to make them more distinctively "your temple"

I wish I could control the opening image, but YouTube doesn't let you (unless you give them money).

If you're referring to the YouTube thumbnail, you don't need to give them money. Just change your settings & provide a phone number. Here's how - http://youtu.be/ubNk6iSOYC0

4. PD does provide quite a few options for generating presentations, or "tricking up" as you say. Some of these are easily customisable but some need work behind the scenes to get them to appear more grown up/adult.

5. Building slideshows manually is an oft-promoted option in these pages, but I'd say there would be very few PD users who'd be able to manually generate something akin to (say) the Gallery/Picture Frames style template or the (say) Highlight slideshow template. Sometimes, that sort of look is what people are after.

Cheers - Tony
    bphata [Avatar]
    Newbie Joined: Feb 21, 2014 17:38 Messages: 3 Offline
    [Post New]
    Carl,
    How many photos can you put in a slideshow?
    Bill in Las Vegas
    <><
    jerrys
    [Post New]
    Unfortunately, that link you posted didn't work; but I'll look into the matter again.

Thanks. Jerry Schwartz
    Carl312
    [Post New]
    Quote: Carl,
    Bill in Las Vegas
    <><

PowerDirector has a 2500 media limit.

So your maximum number of photos is 2500.

Read the Note.
    http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=12762&prodId=4&prodVerId=930

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 19. 2014 19:18

JL_JL [Avatar]
    Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
    [Post New]
    Quote:
    Quote: Carl,
    Bill in Las Vegas
    <><

PowerDirector has a 2500 media limit.

So your maximum number of photos is 2500.

Read the Note.
    http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=12762&prodId=4&prodVerId=930

I know this 2500 limit number has been stated in the forums many times, however, to me it's just not true and maybe taken out of context. If you read what CL states, they say "2500 media clips into the media library". They say nothing about 2500 clips in a slideshow as the limit. All one has to do is:
    1) import the first 2500 clips into the media library and move to the timeline
    2) select all 2500 clips in the media library and RMB "Remove from Library"
    3) import the second group of 2500 clips and move to the timeline at the end of the first 2500
    4) select all 5000 clips in the timeline "Ctrl A"
    5) create a slideshow from one of the supplied templates

Make sure you have a computer with some significant power, PD is not very user friendly or responsive with 5000 items in the timeline but I've done this with many versions of PD to construct video's from stills or time lapse constructs. It's also very slow as none of this slideshow process is really multi-core so cpu usage will be very low on say a 6 core CPU but the task for me does complete with no issue. The attached pic shows reediting a slideshow with 5000 pics being used in a slideshow with the "Advanced Editing" slideshow that was created in the timeline.

I think there is a 2500 limit, but as CL says, it's simply for import total items in the media library at any instant. The media library does not have to contain what's in the timeline. Yes, I can save the pds project and reopen although not really recommended as I indicated with 5000 items on the timeline PD is not real user friendly, however, it can be done.

Jeff
    [Thumb - 2500clips.png]
     Filename
    2500clips.png
    [Disk]
     Description
     Filesize
    73 Kbytes
     Downloaded:
    264 time(s)
    Dafydd B [Avatar]
    Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
    [Post New]
    Quote:
    I know this 2500 limit number has been stated in the forums many times, however, to me it's just not true and maybe taken out of context. If you read what CL states, they say "2500 media clips into the media library". They say nothing about 2500 clips in a slideshow as the limit. All one has to do is:
    1) import the first 2500 clips into the media library and move to the timeline
    2) select all 2500 clips in the media library and RMB "Remove from Library"
    3) import the second group of 2500 clips and move to the timeline at the end of the first 2500
    4) select all 5000 clips in the timeline "Ctrl A"
    5) create a slideshow from one of the supplied templates

Make sure you have a computer with some significant power, PD is not very user friendly or responsive with 5000 items in the timeline but I've done this with many versions of PD to construct video's from stills or time lapse constructs. It's also very slow as none of this slideshow process is really multi-core so cpu usage will be very low on say a 6 core CPU but the task for me does complete with no issue. The attached pic shows reediting a slideshow with 5000 pics being used in a slideshow with the "Advanced Editing" slideshow that was created in the timeline.

I think there is a 2500 limit, but as CL says, it's simply for import total items in the media library at any instant. The media library does not have to contain what's in the timeline. Yes, I can save the pds project and reopen although not really recommended as I indicated with 5000 items on the timeline PD is not real user friendly, however, it can be done.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff. I have never put in 2500 images etc. Your analysis, interpretation and adaptation is great to read. Most of us will find a suitable brick wall and bang our heads to the words "of course". Thank you for posting a great snippet of information.
    Dafydd
    Carl312
    [Post New]
    Quote: I think there is a 2500 limit, but as CL says, it's simply for import total items in the media library at any instant. The media library does not have to contain what's in the timeline. Yes, I can save the pds project and reopen although not really recommended as I indicated with 5000 items on the timeline PD is not real user friendly, however, it can be done.

Have you tried it?

The 2500 item limit is for sure in the media library.

Would it work if you put all 2500 items on the timeline then cleared the media library, imported another 2500 items into the library, put them on the timeline? Can you even keep the timeline and clear just the media library?

The only way to find out is to actually have that many items to put and try to see what happens.
    I doubt i could find 2500 or more items in one place to try it.

I know of one poster that has that many items to try.
    He is the person with the Retro-8 8mm film capture device.

He has captured 400 feet of film which results in about 32,000 images.
    His first post was about can you take numbered image sequences and create a movie in PowerDirector.

The 2500 item limit stopped him from doing it that way.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 20. 2014 08:44

ynotfish
    [Post New]
    Quote: Have you tried it?

I have, & I can confirm that Jeff's advice is correct.

Under those circumstances, with 5000+ photos in the timeline (not in media library), you do a LOT of waiting for PD to process. Projects save and re-open correctly & very slowly.

As Jeff stated, it can be done. I don't think I'd recommend it though!

Cheers - Tony
    Carl312
    [Post New]
    Quote:
    Quote: Have you tried it?

I have, & I can confirm that Jeff's advice is correct.

Under those circumstances, with 5000+ photos in the timeline (not in media library), you do a LOT of waiting for PD to process. Projects save and re-open correctly & very slowly.

As Jeff stated, it can be done. I don't think I'd recommend it though!

Cheers - Tony

Thank you for the answer, Tony.

That would mean that Alan (acg) would have a hard time with 32,000 images.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 20. 2014 18:48