Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
H E L P Converting mono audio to stereo
iandh2010 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: South East England Joined: Jun 30, 2013 04:37 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Guys,
I have an old video with a mono soundtrack that is coming out of the left speaker only.

I want to replicate the same track to make it a stereo pair with exactly the same coming out of both speakers (L+R) as all the rest of my videos that I am splicing together onto a single timeline will be instereo.

I have tired editing it in Wave Editor but can't find out how to create a R channel from the L channel. Simply opening it in Wave Editor and saving again does not do anything.

Would appreciate some urgent help. Sorry if this posting arrives twice but my PC appeared to hang when I tried to post the message.

Thanks
Ian Regards
Ian
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Guys,
I have an old video with a mono soundtrack that is coming out of the left speaker only.

I want to replicate the same track to make it a stereo pair with exactly the same coming out of both speakers (L+R) as all the rest of my videos that I am splicing together onto a single timeline will be instereo.

I have tired editing it in Wave Editor but can't find out how to create a R channel from the L channel. Simply opening it in Wave Editor and saving again does not do anything.

Would appreciate some urgent help. Sorry if this posting arrives twice but my PC appeared to hang when I tried to post the message.

Thanks
Ian

When you separate the audio from the video in the Media Library or by Un-linking when in the track, you should see two warning messages and a save option. So the quest is, what are you doing wrong?

Open PDR
Place the video in the Library.
Right Click on it and select Extract Audio
Save the Wav file
Place the Wav file in the track and select Edit Audio
Warning message of Mono to Stereo appears.
Agree/OK
Select to close "X" and doing so will have option to Save changes - click "Yes".
Audio is now Mono track x 2 Left and Right.

Is that what you're doing?

Images attached.

[Thumb - SD-2013-02-359.png]
 Filename
SD-2013-02-359.png
[Disk]
 Description
Mono insert warning
 Filesize
38 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
802 time(s)
[Thumb - SD-2013-02-360.png]
 Filename
SD-2013-02-360.png
[Disk]
 Description
Save changes from Mono to Stereo when closing
 Filesize
20 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
775 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 10. 2013 06:18

iandh2010 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: South East England Joined: Jun 30, 2013 04:37 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,
Yes that is exactly what I did after reading one of the posts. Even though I have WE set to stereo I get no warning message.

All I see on the display is a Left channel as I would expect to see and the right totally level at -infinity!

Ian

Regards
Ian
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, It really sounds like you already have a stereo video with one of the channels silenced or at a very low level.

How did you get the video onto your computer?

Have you tried boosting the level of the audio to the right channel -- just to see if there is something there? .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
iandh2010 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Stevek & Dafydd,
Yep you cracked it Stevek, why it was like that I don't know but applying 48dB of boost brought the R channel up to the same sort of
level as the L channel.

Sorry to have wasted your time on this.

Thanks
Ian Regards
Ian
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Stevek & Dafydd,
Yep you cracked it Stevek, why it was like that I don't know but applying 48dB of boost brought the R channel up to the same sort of
level as the L channel.

Sorry to have wasted your time on this.

Thanks
Ian

No waste of time; happy to be of help. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
iandh2010 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks very much guys....

Ian Regards
Ian