Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Repeated SmartSound Updating STOPS PD
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Jerry posted an issue similar to this - http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15/19502.page - it may be related or maybe not.

It's never occurred here before. Recently I installed SonicFire Pro 5 &, ever since then, PD & SmartSound have been doing what's shown in the screen capture.

Every time I try to do something, SS wants to update itself. Whether I click OK, Later or Remove all updates, it keeps doing it.

Apart from Jerry's thread, I don't recall this being reported before.

http://youtu.be/k2PkenIg-kc

And, just in case anyone cares, I've still had zip response to this unrelated issue - http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/30727.page

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 08. 2013 13:43

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Bhajje
Senior Member Location: France - Orléans Joined: Feb 06, 2011 11:30 Messages: 176 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, Tony.

I tried using "Magic Music" to see if it was the same for me. Same process you show in your video.

And these repeated updates dind'nt happen. No problem.

Sonicfire Pro version 5.8.0.0.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 08. 2013 14:02

Jean-Paul

i7-4770K 3.50 GHz, Nvidia GTX 960 2 Go, SSD 500 Go, RAM 32 Go
Win 10 64 bits, DirectorSuite 365
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Tony have you tried installing the update / patch specific to CL Power Director?

Here is the main update page- click on the bottom "Quicktracks Update" link that has the CL PD icon:
http://www.smartsound.com/support/updates

I know it says it's for the lower PD versions and does not list PD 12, but give it a shot.
Download the "Download SmartSound Quicktracks 5.1.8 update" which is only 30 mb and install that.

On my system a few times PD 12 looks for the "Smart Sound Quicktracks.msi" file and goes a bit wonky if not found. After I point it to that file that is inside the 5.18 update it works fine. (Btw- I am using the older version of Sonic Fire Pro 5.75)

Give er a whirl and see...

Rob
PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Tony,

This is cold comfort indeed, but my problems with SS went away when I updated to PD11. Now that I'm on PD12, I'm still not having any problem.

This appears to be a very rare occurrence (just the two of us). It is almost certainly one of a few issues:

• A missing file
  • A file with improper permissions
  • A missing or superfluous registry entry
  • A broken link in the directory structure.

• The last is actually the easiest to check. Run the registry editor and export your entire registry. If there's a broken link. the export will fail.

You should be so lucky. As you know, I never did figure it out. Jerry Schwartz
    ynotfish
    Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
    [Post New]
    Thanks for chiming in, guys -

Jean-Paul - I've used SS all those years & never had this issue. It may be something related to the album (Core Evolution) that I downloaded with SonicFire Pro. I'm still trying to isolate it.

Rob - yes - that was one of the first things I did... but it made no difference.

Jerry - I'll go through your suggested possibilities (as the ministers in our moronic federal government keep repeating) calmly, slowly, steadily, deliberately, methodically & purposefully (as if we didn't get it the first time). You can be sure that if a fix is found, it'll be posted here for future reference.

Cheers - Tony

Because I misplaced an apostrophe...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 10. 2013 03:49

1Nina
    Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
    [Post New]
    Hi,

I’ve stated in earlier posts how I stopped using and uninstalled SS from PD years ago.
    I have had Sonic Fire Pro for several years, and then no need for the SS inside PD – as
    that have meant all sorts of trouble.
    To perhaps shed some further light on the matter of this thread, I’m sharing what happened
    here some days back, MY MISTAKE;
    I went to SmartSound downloads, logged in.
    Since I purchased SF way back, there have been updates – from XP to Win7 etc.
    So when I saw the 5.8.00 – I presumed it was that one I should download and install.
    I have 5.7.5.0 – I guess it wasn’t that far fetched…..
    but it was!
    I installed the 5.8.00 on the computer where PD12 resides.
    SF (5.8.0.0) did not give the option to connect to PD, but to another editor on the PC.
    Next, I did not get SF to display as a standalone – which is what I want.
    All the updates came along, though not constantly.
    I got the message to buy SS 5.8.00, and I had to go back to SS site to read some more.
    I noticed the SS 5.8.0.0 kept me logged in.
    I had downloaded the wrong SonicFire – in my case.
    5.8.0.0 is the new, I believe more cloud based release.

I believe if you stay logged in, you are connected whenever/where ever using program(s)
    where SS is integrated and you are kept updated at all times.
    How PD responds to this is of course another matter.
    Just thought I should share this with you.

Nina

Just something.
    https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
    RobAC [Avatar]
    Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
    [Post New]
    Hmm... something not right.

Did you ever get the copy backup SS music files issue sorted?
    I assume by now you have tried clearing the SS cache, rebuilding the database in the SS preferences.

Try Wise registry cleaner (much better than CCleaner,) another user in the PD11 forum turned me on to this. It also scans and fixes broken registry links.. and it's free: http://www.wisecleaner.com/wiseregistrycleanerfree.html

Rob
    PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
    1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
    2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
    ynotfish
    [Post New]
    I'm posting this so:
    (a) everyone can stop worrying about it & get on with enjoying the festive season, &
    (b) in case someone else has the same problem

I finally got back to it & sent off a tech support request to Frank at SmartSound. That guy's worth more money!

What's supposed to happen is that the updates delete themselves after installation. This wasn't happening so my SS kept trying to update itself repeatedly.

The fix (provided by Frank) was to go to C:\ProgramData\SmartSound Software Inc and delete the "UpdatePacks" folder.

Upon re-opening SmartSound in PD, the folder regenerates itself & the issue is gone!

Cheers - Tony
    jerrys
    Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
    [Post New]
    Wowsers!

That deserves a bookmark, if not a sticky.

I hope you land a big one. Jerry Schwartz
    CubbyHouseFilms
    Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
    [Post New]
    Thanks for the follow up T

Bookmarked! Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
    CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
    My Vimeo Channel
    PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
    PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
    PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
    PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
    PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
    PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
    Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!