Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can't add transitions??
Scott61 [Avatar]
Member Location: Wichita, KS Joined: Aug 20, 2011 04:43 Messages: 126 Offline
[Post New]
I have used PD11 for awhile now. All of a sudden I can't add transitions. I try to drag a transition into place, but once I get to the tracks all I get is the circle with a line through it. I am not sure what is going on. I have restarted the program, and then restarted the computer and I still can't do it.
I also started a new project and also adding a transition at the end of a clip, and I still can't do anything.

Please help.

Scott Scott Wright
Wichita, KS
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have used PD11 for awhile now. All of a sudden I can't add transitions. I try to drag a transition into place, but once I get to the tracks all I get is the circle with a line through it. I am not sure what is going on. I have restarted the program, and then restarted the computer and I still can't do it.
I also started a new project and also adding a transition at the end of a clip, and I still can't do anything.

Please help.

Scott

Transitions can be added only to the video part of the track.

Some transitions can be added at the begining or end of a video. Or between videos.

Try experiments with the sample video Nature.mpg.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Scott61 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the response.
I have added hundreds of transitions before. When you drag one down, you usually get a little vertical rectangle that you place between clips.

When I drag the transition down I get that little icon until I drop below the transitions window and then it turns to the round circle with a line through it.

Thanks,
Scott Scott Wright
Wichita, KS
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I suppose you have done all of the normal things, like reboot the computer and clear out Windows and Powerdirector Temp files.
What about trying transitions on the Powerdirector Sample files?

If you have not done those things, you should try them.

If that fails, you may only have the choice of reinstalling Powerdirector.

There is always contacting CyberLink Support.

http://www.cyberlink.com/support/index.html
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Expand the timeline to see if there is any gap between the clips.
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: but once I get to the tracks all I get is the circle with a line through it

Please forgive what sounds like a stupid question but, are you sure you are adding the transition to a video track? The only way I can replicate this is by trying to add a transition to an audio track. As soon as I move the cursor back to the video track it changes back to an outline showing the extent of the transition.

Further observation - I can also get a circle/line cursor by trying to add a transition to an empty video track. As long as there is a clip somewhere on the video track it doesn't happen.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 06. 2013 07:11

Scott61 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your interest in helping me. I have worked with PD for over five years. I have added transitions hundreds of times.
You are correct you can only add transitions to a video track between clips.
I had something very strange taking place for a short time. It has stopped acting the way it was and I can once again add transitions. I think I am going to remove and reinstall PD as I am fighting to many little things other than this.

Scott Scott Wright
Wichita, KS
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I think I am going to remove and reinstall PD as I am fighting to many little things other than this.Scott

I'm glad I didn't offend

A re-install sounds like a good idea but one other thought comes to mind, I've had success in the past just doing a system restore to a 'last known good' time if you can pinpoint when that was.
Scott61 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have done 3-4 system restores since having troubles with PD for other computer issues in last several months. They had no affect on the performance on PD.
Thanks for the idea.
I also need knocked in the head a few times to get the idea! Scott Wright
Wichita, KS
Artinerny [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 19, 2013 23:04 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I have seen this type of behavior if I have not zoomed in enough on the tracks - you know, the little '+/-' buttons in the lower left of the edit window.
Scott61 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Welcome to the forum. I see you are a new member.
I guess I have not noticed the zoom adjustment using the +or-. I always put the cursor at the top of the track, where the length of video time is, and move left or right with that. But I did have it stretched way out when the problem was happening. Just one of those weird glitches that came and went? Scott Wright
Wichita, KS
RobertL1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 11, 2011 17:05 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hey Scott61

I was going nuts myself suffering from the same problem where I couldn't had the transition.
I had already updated the program as well as restart. Then when I saw how you played around
the size. The weird part was I had to stretch it out to get it to work. It's crazy but it worked.

I hope they'll have a bug fix for it. In the meantime, I'm glad this problem was listed in the forum.

Robert Rob L
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Just a tip...
Right-click on the timeline ruler. There is a VIEW ENTIRE MOVIE choice that expands or contracts the timeline to encompass all clips.
Robert [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 15, 2014 12:19 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Also a user of the program for many hours, so I was certain I had some glitch.
Turns out it was me.
The transition 'placement spot' on a video clip is very small. I guess I always hit it before.
The actual space is to the very top left front corner or very top right corner of end of clip.
My project is lager than normal, so I had to zoom into ensure the easy placement, without the cursing.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Also a user of the program for many hours, so I was certain I had some glitch.
Turns out it was me.
The transition 'placement spot' on a video clip is very small. I guess I always hit it before.
The actual space is to the very top left front corner or very top right corner of end of clip.
My project is lager than normal, so I had to zoom into ensure the easy placement, without the cursing.

You might check that your clips are touching each other on the timeline before dragging the transition.

If you expand the timeline a little bit, it makes it easier to hit the joint.

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
As you have by now figured out, transitions can only be added to the "native" video track in Power Director, so if you're intending to add video overlay on a PiP track and want to add a transition, it may be best to join the two wanted clips together for this purpose as a separate item, giving it a name like "insert item" or something like that. If more than one of these are required, given them numbers, e.g. "Insert Item 1, 2, 3 and so on. These could be short bits that, on their own are less than 10 seconds duration but together may add up to 15 or 20 seconds, depending on the length of the transition. Transitions do eat up some of your running time. If you set your transition effect at, say, 5 seconds, each time you add a transition, that's the amount of time by which your video work will be shortened. If you're using Corel Video Studio, you can add a transition between two clips on a PiP track but you're restricted to 1-second duration. Just a tip.